CMNT supporters getting all expenses paid trips to Qatar?

Razcal

17 minutes ago, king1010 said:

They’re being asked to report negative posts to the “Supreme Committee” ? Yikes. 

Yes. But it doesn't signify that they need to go out of their way to do it. They aren't interested and aren't contractually obligated to do this.

16 minutes ago, narduch said:

Sell outs

I can't be too hard on them as I was almost one of them.

Lee didn't actually give me the same deadline as the one posted on the application website. I pestered Lee, asking him for all the details and fine print. By the time I submitted my info on the website I was actually too late.

Interestingly, you didn't actually get the trip/contract details until you started the application process on their website. So I had to actually apply to see the details of what I was applying for. Weird setup.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Where did you hear this?

Nef hasn't been on Northern Futbol for weeks now.

Does he have a new podcast?

It is funny how he just "disappeared" from the podcast.  Not even a" Thomas has moved on to do his own thing, we wish him all the best" type of message.  More of a Stalinesque, "this person never existed here".  😄 

For me, I’m not that bothered that they took the free trip and tickets but I am bothered by how they are acting and representing us as supporters. That Lee fellow continues to deny on Twitter that he is sponsored by Qatar and his profile claims he is the leader of the Canadian supporters, which is extremely misleading. He doesn’t represent or lead us, he represents Qatar and lies about his trip. That has nothing to do with Canada, our supporters or our team. 

21 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

but I am bothered by how they are acting and representing us as supporters. That Lee fellow continues to deny on Twitter that he is sponsored by Qatar and his profile claims he is the leader of the Canadian supporters, which is extremely misleading.

That is my point of view as well.

He should have posted "Canada Fan Leader as appointed by Supreme Committee for delivery and legacy of Qatar ". It is a mouthful but it leaves no doubt.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

43 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

It is too bad that I feel like I should stop following alot of these guys because of this. There is so few soccer journalists and CMNT accounts, but I can't support guys like this.

If you wanna feel better about it, Nef is a young kid who is trying to break it in a field that is extremely competitive and pays very little- a trip to Qatar and the coverage he's able to get can hypothetically be a turning point in his career. If you want to keep supporting journalists like him, you can chalk this up to a young kid who made a poor decision with good intentions.  If the only strings attached are that he had to go to the opening ceremony + stay for at least two weeks, then it is what it is. I absolutely understand not wanting to follow some of these guys as a result of it though.

I don't know Lee Kormish personally.  But I do know that he's been around for a long time.  If I'm not mistaken, this guy was at the Canada-Honduras game in 1985 in NFLD the first time we qualified.  He's given his blood sweat and tears to supporting our CanMNT over the years, just as much as any hardcore V. 

The people who took this deal have travelled 10,000 kms to support our national team, perhaps many who would not have been financially able to do so otherwise.  These are our fellow supporters, I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.       

Well if they are hard core fans, then it shouldnt be any problem to admit they are a guest of Qatar and have certain "limitations" on their free speech while enjoying the hospitality.   ie I dont bitch about my mother in law while I am eating her sunday diner.  Although once in country I would be worried about something fishy happening to me if I did slip up and say something offensive, so they are kind of screwed now.  

13 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I don't know Lee Kormish personally.  But I do know that he's been around for a long time.  If I'm not mistaken, this guy was at the Canada-Honduras game in 1985 in NFLD the first time we qualified.  He's given his blood sweat and tears to supporting our CanMNT over the years, just as much as any hardcore V. 

The people who took this deal have travelled 10,000 kms to support our national team, perhaps many who would not have been financially able to do so otherwise.  These are our fellow supporters, I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.       

Being an amazing supporter doesn't give them a pass on misrepresenting themselves. If you want to make that connection then great, but the two things really have nothing in common.

In my view, these activities feel way to similar to things we read about in the history books. To me, that feels really scary