CMNT supporters getting all expenses paid trips to Qatar?

Razcal

You are all wise people here, I’ve noticed a bit of a trend lately. A few CMNT supporters have been popping up on my Twitter feeds of fans who have gone to Qatar, it seems by reading through the posts that many of these people seem to have had their trips paid for?

Whats up with that? Can’t be CSA or CSB paying for their trips to the WC. 

Are these the “paid fans” that have been alluded to in the past?

Edited by Razcal
Typo

1 minute ago, Razcal said:

You are all wise people here, I’ve noticed a bit of a trend lately. A few CMNT supporters have been popping up on my Twitter feeds of fans who have gone to Qatar, it seems by reading through the posts that many of these people seem to have had their trips paid for?

Whats up with that? Can’t be CSA or CSB paying for their trips to the WC. 

Are these the “paid fans” that have been alluded to in the past?

Probably paid for by Qatar.

I don't know what it is, but there is a guy calling himself the Canada 'fan leader' on Twitter. He seems annoying as hell

Qatar has reached out to fan organizations to pay fans in exchange for sharing "good information" about Qatar, as well as reporting people saying bad things about them. Here's the application form: https://fanengagement.qa/

In this DW article, they actually talk about how a French supporter turned down the offer, while this Canada supporter- Lee Kormish- is that the annoying fan leader on twitter- accepted the offer. I also read that a lot of American supporters turned the offer down. too.

1 minute ago, RS said:

Lee Kormish?

Apparently this is the guy. Yeah, he's a paid fan. Can't say I'm the biggest CANMNT culture knower, but it is strange that our apparent "fan leader" is only followed on twitter by Canada Soccer + Thomas Nef. I would assume a few of the many reporters and podcasts, fan organizations that I follow would've given him a follow if he really was a big name in the culture.

9 minutes ago, Razcal said:

Thomas Nef is one of the people, but yeah I think that guy has been popping up on my feeds too.

Nef is a paid fan? I wonder if that might explain his absence from the podcast over the last few weeks. NF had a considerably long segment on their last episode about a lot of the issues with Qatar, especially considering Galindo is also there.

Edited by InglewoodJack

• Razcal changed the title to CMNT supporters getting all expenses paid trips to Qatar?
1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

Thomas Nef is being incredibly suspicious. It sounds like he's been paid by Qatar along with Lee Kormish. I'm not a fan of this at all.

In case anyone was still curious:

Kormish is a paid fan. This pretty much confirms Nef is too. He’s being cagey in the comments (not a paid fan!!! Yeah sure, but you aren’t a paying fan either!). 

CANMNTonly also similarly vague in his comments too.

Edit: didn’t see all of this was already posted- my bad.

it’s bad enough to accept a bribe from Qatar, but to do this as a journalist without divulging it is blatant malpractice. Hope Nef addresses it, because I like his work.

Edited by InglewoodJack

I’ve not been against the World Cup in Qatar as I believe it needs to be held in all areas of the world and by having it there, we’ve heard far more about the Qatari regime then if they hadn’t been awarded the tournament. It’s also given the Qatari’s plenty of rope on the world stage in which to hang themselves and exposed fifa as even more corrupt and in competent (not that it is likely to change them). 

But these “paid fans” should be ashamed of themselves. Instead of exposing issues they are fighting to cover them up. 

Also a massive fuck you to this lee fellow claiming to be the leader of the Canadian fans. You lead no one and should make it very clear you have no connection to any football group in this country. 

I wonder what the impact of these "paid fans" is going to be, long term. No clue who this Kormish guy is, I assume Qatar chose one particularly excited fan, made them capo, and had them put together the roster of paid fans, but for journalists- will their reputation take the appropriate knock?

I've always thought soccer culture in canada is a lot like my experience growing up playing in punk bands. It's DIY, everyone is a few degrees of separation apart, no mainstream media attention, and you get involved for the love of the game and not because you think you'll make money out of it. Then you take a reporter who decides to act as a PR mouthpiece for Qatar, and then returns home, business as usual? When there's less interest in soccer- fast forward to 2024 when this world cup is squarely in the rear view and the next is still a ways away, I wonder if this will harm the reporters who sold out.

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

So what is he even a leader of?

Dude has a thousand Twitter followers. 

Qatar really wasting money on this chump

FWIW he's a reporter in Saskatoon and his YouTube channel has a little over 2k followers. Certainly not deserving of being called fan leader or whatever, but he does have somewhat of an audience.

Quick YouTube search shows that some of his 2018 world cup videos got almost 500k views, so he does have a reach, albeit not as part of the voyageurs, it seems.

Edited by InglewoodJack

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I wonder what the impact of these "paid fans" is going to be, long term. No clue who this Kormish guy is, I assume Qatar chose one particularly excited fan, made them capo, and had them put together the roster of paid fans, but for journalists- will their reputation take the appropriate knock?

I've always thought soccer culture in canada is a lot like my experience growing up playing in punk bands. It's DIY, everyone is a few degrees of separation apart, no mainstream media attention, and you get involved for the love of the game and not because you think you'll make money out of it. Then you take a reporter who decides to act as a PR mouthpiece for Qatar, and then returns home, business as usual? When there's less interest in soccer- fast forward to 2024 when this world cup is squarely in the rear view and the next is still a ways away, I wonder if this will harm the reporters who sold out.

So now I am wondering if Nef had a falling out with Galindo over this

Edited by narduch