CMNT supporters getting all expenses paid trips to Qatar?

Razcal

29 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I don't know Lee Kormish personally.  But I do know that he's been around for a long time.  If I'm not mistaken, this guy was at the Canada-Honduras game in 1985 in NFLD the first time we qualified.  He's given his blood sweat and tears to supporting our CanMNT over the years, just as much as any hardcore V. 

The people who took this deal have travelled 10,000 kms to support our national team, perhaps many who would not have been financially able to do so otherwise.  These are our fellow supporters, I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.       

Being from Saskatoon, I remember when the story of Lee getting his free ride came out.  He had to apply to be an ambassador for this program.  He made a video.  I don't know him personally, because although I really enjoy watching soccer, I didn't grow up playing and don't play.  I don't know him personally, but he's been to several world cups.  He refs soccer and watches a lot of youth soccer in the city.  He's a big fan of the game at all levels.   My buddy who plays soccer isn't a big fan of his, but that just could be because of his reffing. 

On 11/22/2022 at 12:30 PM, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

For me, I’m not that bothered that they took the free trip and tickets but I am bothered by how they are acting and representing us as supporters. That Lee fellow continues to deny on Twitter that he is sponsored by Qatar and his profile claims he is the leader of the Canadian supporters, which is extremely misleading. He doesn’t represent or lead us, he represents Qatar and lies about his trip. That has nothing to do with Canada, our supporters or our team. 

So much this.

I'd never heard of this supposed, "leader" until a couple months ago.

“It felt almost too surreal. It felt like a home game. There were surely 15,000 Canadians. I was surprised by the amount of Canadians who made the trip without taking blood money from Qataris,” said Thomas Nef, who travelled to Qatar all expenses paid by the Supreme Committee and happened to score a ticket hours before the match thanks to his exemplary contributions to the Supreme Committee's sportswashing efforts.

I've included some suggested edits.

Unrelated to the original topic, however a long the same idea. 

I follow Bontis on Instagram and him and his wife are enjoying themselves immensely. Meeting lots of important people, going to lots of parties, tourist sites and at least 1 game a day.

No mention of the team or even how they are doing. Quite literally the only thing I saw from the Canada game was a video prematch from the upper stands. Not the result, not a good job boys, not a video of the game, nothing. This guy is such a POS and a disgrace for this organization and the players. 

Ultimately, I dont care that much if the Qatari government is paying people to be there. This guy is there on us and our teams dime.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I follow Bontis on Instagram and him and his wife are enjoying themselves immensely. Meeting lots of important people, going to lots of parties, tourist sites and at least 1 game a day.

No mention of the team or even how they are doing. Quite literally the only thing I saw from the Canada game was a video prematch from the upper stands. Not the result, not a good job boys, not a video of the game, nothing. This guy is such a POS and a disgrace for this organization and the players. 

Ultimately, I dont care that much if the Qatari government is paying people to be there. This guy is there on us and our teams dime.

Also, has Montagliani been interviewed yet by TSN?  I missed the lengthy pre-game for the Belgium match so I assumed that he was on there.  If so, could someone please post a link?  Thanks.  Also, did Bontis make that broadcast?  However, I could see him being kept in the background because he's such a lightning rod.

4 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Does he look good in his suit? 

On 11/22/2022 at 12:25 PM, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

If you want an idea of how these free trips work. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/england-fans-paid-to-be-spies-at-world-cup-nt803jx23

I've copied the whole article as you need to sign up. If there are any objective, I’ll remove it. 

England fans paid to be ‘spies’ at World Cup

Group are expected to sing at opening ceremony in return for free flights and accommodation, £60 a day in spending money and complimentary tickets.

A group of 40 England fans are being paid by Qatar to attend the World Cup, with instructions to deliver positive messages about the experience, sing certain songs when requested and report critical social media posts.

Sources have confirmed that the group — which includes the England band leader John Hemmingham — will receive free flights and apartment accommodation, £60 a day in spending money loaded on to a Visa card and complimentary tickets after signing a “code of conduct”. They are all booked on flights that leave for Doha on November 17.

Another 40 supporters from Wales have also signed up to the Fan Leader Programme, along with fans from the 30 other competing countries as part of what supporters’ groups have described as a “sinister, distasteful” marketing exercise.

All those who have signed up for the scheme are guaranteed a ticket to the opening ceremony but they must stay in Qatar for at least two weeks. The idea, The Times has been told, is for them to sit in groups and sing at the appropriate times for the television cameras.

One document sent to fan leaders outlines the role they will be expected to play in the opening ceremony. It reads: “In celebration of the fans around the world, over the period of five minutes, fan chants from each nation will be played and you will be expected to stand up, sing the song/chant, wave your flags and represent your country.

“The camera will focus on each national fan group in turn. We will share with you the chant/song selected from your country to ensure you are familiar with it.” In bold red letters it adds: “Be ready in your shirt, flags and scarves to cheer and shout.”

Another document explains that fan leaders have to accept terms and conditions.

Last month the England Supporters Travel Club hosted a fans’ forum at Wembley Stadium and invited the Qatar Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy (SC) to attend, with Hemmingham, 59, appearing as a “UK fan leader” at the event.

FA staff were present and heard Hemmingham, who is the band’s trumpet player, tell the audience about the positive experience he enjoyed on a recent trip to Doha.

Detailed on the FA website is the fact that Hemmingham “shared his personal experiences from his visit to Qatar for the Lusail Super Cup”. “He was able to visit alongside other fan leaders of different participating nations, sharing their thoughts and giving feedback ahead of the Fifa World Cup,” the release read.

Hemmingham stated that “Qatar is very safe, there are lots of rules and no crime”. The report on the meeting said he “stayed in a great hotel and there was a kind, exciting reception for travelling fans”.

“There was lots of engagement with fans and Qataris were keen to actively make adjustments based on fan recommendations for the Fifa World Cup,” the report added. “JH [Hemmingham] attended a fixture at the World Cup final stadium — the Lusail Iconic Stadium — [where] there are great in-bowl sound systems.”

The Times has approached Hemmingham for comment but one insider sarcastically asked on Thursday night if the England band “might play Qatar’s national anthem during the tournament”.

In March last year the FA received a request from Qatar’s Supreme Committee, which is organising the tournament, for members of the official supporters’ club to join a fan engagement forum. Other sources claim the first contact was made with fan groups two years ago.

But it was only in September that those approached were asked to sign up to a “code of conduct” to guarantee their all-expenses-paid trip to the World Cup. “It all sounds a bit sinister and distasteful,” said one leading member of a fan group, who asked not to be named for fear of possible consequences when he arrives in Qatar.

It is understood that the scheme has not been endorsed by the Football Supporters’ Association or the FA.

Initially it seemed there was a request to simply disseminate information to other fans, with the incentive of a trip to Qatar in advance of the World Cup as well as complimentary flights, tickets and accommodation for the tournament itself.

The FA has said it only found out about the requirements of the scheme from international media reports.

“We were told this was an opportunity to engage with fans from all competing nations to ensure that the voice of supporters was clearly heard in the planning for the World Cup and that many international football associations were being approached,” a statement from the governing body read. “We have had no more involvement with the scheme, and no sight of the ‘code of conduct’ or any of the terms and conditions of involvement.”

A New York Times report said the Dutch broadcaster NOS quoted a Holland fan saying he had agreed to monitor the activity of other supporters from his country.

A board member from the American Outlaws, the biggest United States supporters’ group, agreed to take part, then helped to sign up fellow members and others. However, he told the New York Times that, having already accepted one free trip to Qatar, he was not going to be part of the scheme.

A France fan told the French newspaper Le Parisien he had declined the offer from Qatar. “Despite the appetising side of the dish, I preferred to stay true to my values,” Joseph Delage said.

Ahsan Mansoor, the fan engagement director for the 2022 World Cup who also attended the forum at Wembley last month, has insisted that “there is no obligation to promote or do anything”.

But sources in possession of the relevant documents have confirmed that there is indeed a code of conduct that had to be signed, with a request not to disparage the hosts and to “report any offensive, degrading or abusive comments” from other fans. Ideally they should supply screenshots.

“At best they’re volunteers for the World Cup and at worst they’re a mouthpiece for the Supreme Committee,” Ronan Evain, the executive director of Football Supporters Europe, said.

Some fans flown to Qatar in advance of the tournament were even invited to meet David Beckham, who is being paid millions to act as an ambassador for the hosts despite concerns about the country’s human rights record.

just pin this detailed description of the situation to the first page and be done with it.  nobody involved with this scheme merits very much contempt.

2 hours ago, eramosat said:

just pin this detailed description of the situation to the first page and be done with it.  nobody involved with this scheme merits very much contempt.

Insofar as the article confirms you are supposed to say only nice things about Qatar and to “report any offensive, degrading or abusive comments” by your fellow fans, I am not sure I draw the same conclusion - especially given the high level of secrecy coming from both the program itself and apparently those who are participating.  If the program is so benign it seems like transparency would be fairly simple.  

On 11/26/2022 at 8:07 AM, Stryker911 said:

how long before these fffffs cry poor again?

17 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Once again in game day not even a mention that they play today. Just a picture of him and his wife with him wearing a Canada polo. This guy is useless.

It's a private account so I assume it's a personal one. Why do you expect him to promote work stuff there?

18 hours ago, jonovision said:

It's a private account so I assume it's a personal one. Why do you expect him to promote work stuff there?

Bontis and the rest of the CSA have a lot to learn. I regularly receive the US Soccer Newsletter. This morning's message was to show thanks to supporters and to ask for a donation. It was simple, to the point and timely. See below.. Knowing that 4 million + Canadians were about to watch the game on Sunday, Bontis should have gone on TSN, gave an update and told the average Canadian what they can do to support Soccer in their communities or at the National Level ( State of the Union type thing). If TSN was unwilling, shoot a selfie and post it.  Instead...Sandboarding. What a wasted opportunity. 

From all of us at U.S. Soccer: THANK YOU! 

I want to give a special shoutout to supporters who participated in U.S. Soccer’s #GivingMonday event yesterday, making a donation to support the teams of today and build tomorrow. 

It’s easy to forget that U.S. Soccer is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, with programs impacting millions of Americans at all levels of the game. It’s not too late to donate, if you’d like to be part of these efforts. Your contributions can help develop the next generation of world-class players, coaches, referees, and National Teams that inspire us all.

We’re heading to the stadium shortly – I’ll be thinking of all of you. Thanks for being here, for tuning in from home, at work, at bars – thank you for supporting the team on this journey. 

GO USA! 

Sincerely,
Cindy Parlow Cone
U.S. Soccer President