Match Thread: The Final - October 30, 2022 - Atletico Ottawa v Forge

narduch

2 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Which I'd argue is precisely what you don't want in a young league trying to find its footing... It tend to be bad for interest for the other teams...

Forge's accomplishments deserve to be celebrated. And, as you state, their sustained dominance is very bad for the growth of other markets, though they can hardly be blamed for it.

I do wonder when we'll see player salary budgets for all the teams. Would make for interesting reading.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

So... Bobby to Montreal to replace Nancy? Or Bradley or Vanni when TFC and whitecaps inevitably bomb again?

Surely there should be clubs looking at him?

If you're comparing rosters player-for-player, Forge has had a clear talent advantage each year, and in many cases it's not even close. If he can bring those recruitment skills to an MLS, great. Otherwise I suspect he'll find his coaching talents are not enough.

20 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Forge's accomplishments deserve to be celebrated. And, as you state, their sustained dominance is very bad for the growth of other markets, though they can hardly be blamed for it.

I do wonder when we'll see player salary budgets for all the teams. Would make for interesting reading.

19 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Just waiting for the new Smyrniotis infomercial that Onesoccer will be running all offseason.

And IMO that's part of the problem too: its one thing for Forge to dominate (and I agree they do deserve respect for their accomplishments on the pitch) but its another for OneSoccer to be as Forge centric as they are (I remember how they predicted this epic contest before the game against CF Montreal, just as the later was catching their stride and I was like ''Yeah... no...''). It basically make the issue with Forge's dominance even worse.

The other thing that I do feel is fair to say is that being a dynasty Forge's contribution to the league's mission (building a deeper pool of elite Canadian players and build the club game in Canada as a whole) should reflect their dominance of it and I'd argue it has simply not been the case. Forge made some good transfer but the model to the league in that regard is Cavalry while in spite of their dominance Forge's attendances are mid-table this season, and it isn't like they are developing and occupied market either...

Edited by phil03

28 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think that bad look started in the offseason after they raided last year's other finalist/league champion and everyone wondered how they could afford to do that.  It's just compounded by them now winning again.

Bet against Forge at your own risk.

^ You know, money talks.  Teams can't always retain players based on dollars and cents but it's a good place to start.   

My opinion of Forge has evolved and it that has as much to do with the teams they are competing against for talent as anything else. 

1 minute ago, Cheeta said:

^ You know, money talks.  Teams can't always retain players based on dollars and cents but it's a good place to start.   

My opinion of Forge has evolved and it that has as much to do with the teams they are competing against for talent as anything else. 

As Wheeler said, it's Forge and everyone else trying to catch up. The roster is stacked and even the youngsters are studs.

They have the biggest squad and that squad is surely the most pedigreed and experienced but it still needs managing. 

I just hope the rest of the league have the same resources to bridge the gap. Ottawa will certainly be back stronger. 

It was boys against men today imo and the years of concacaf experience and big games served Forge well. They were incredibly well drilled in defence and midfield with the game changers up front. No controversy here. Forge deserved the win. 

11 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Sure, I'm not saying Forge has actually done anything wrong.  We're more discussing the optics for the league.

12 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

According to Wikipedia, the attendance was 14,992! Awesome turnout - sad to think we were eight people away from 15,000. If you include the number of people watching from the overlooking apartment building, I’m sure we clear that number. 

And another 50 to 100 on the hill watching for free.

The Beckies were 1 and 1 in championships this weekend. Janine won the NWSL with Portland Thorns yesterday; Drew lost the CPL with Ottawa today - though he was an unused sub so I don’t know if that counts as a loss.

Ottawa sports teams were 1-4 this weekend. The 67’s split a pair of games, Atletico, the Sens and RedBlacks all lost - ouch.

Congrats to Forge - deserved winners tonight.

1 hour ago, phil03 said:

Which I'd argue is precisely what you don't want in a young league trying to find its footing... It tend to be bad for interest for the other teams...

Off the pitch, young leagues need tent pole clubs especially when individual players aren't well known outside of their local market.

On the pitch, they become the Northstar for other club owners & management in figuring out what it takes to be a top CPL club. Forge has also done this the right way in terms of sourcing & developing Canadian talent and appealing style of play. 

To be repped well in Concacaf leagues, CPL needs a club like Forge. 

Edited by red card

Forge are a good team. I respect what Smirniotis has done, and the guys in grey were better on the night for capitalizing on chances. 

Atletico didn't press as high as they needed to, and Ollie really seemed to be off his game. Might have been the pressure, might have been the award the other night - who knows. 

But the one thing that absolutely enrages me is the quality (or lack thereof) in reffing. Obvious calls were ignored. Minor offences were blown out of proportion. And far too many questionable decisions led to set pieces that changed the course of the match. 

The product on the pitch across the CPL has been getting better, year after year. But as long as the refs continue to cock it up, this league  - it players, its coaches, its reputation and above all, its fans - are going to suffer. Something needs to be done, and it needs to be done now. 

That's all I can say for now without absolutely losing it. 

41 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Forge are a good team. I respect what Smirniotis has done, and the guys in grey were better on the night for capitalizing on chances. 

Agree with most of what you said, Ollie had a bad night, Ottawa seems to be mostly a counter-attacking team and Forge were very effective at smothering the counter-attack opportunities and were more prepared for the big game.

Not against clubs setting the benchmark.  Good on them for doing so.

And it has to be said, Forge came into the season like gangbusters and ended up stumbling into the playoffs before regrouping and copping the shield in style.  Again, good on them.

Also has to be said it maybe wasn't Ottawa's night.  Hell of a season, but not tonight.  Needed one or two more bodies to be bolder in going forward but it wasn't going to happen. 

Outstanding crowd.  Bravo.  Outstanding away support.  Bravo.  A fine finish to the CPL season.

See you all at the Vs Cup.  

Congrats to Forge, better team, hats off to Bobby S.  Congrats to Ottawa for putting on a good show, great crowd, it looked like fun, hope no one is too bummed as it was a good season.  I'm not too worried about a Forge dynasty, Calgary is always good, PFC won a title and Ottawa has made it to the final, so most of the league is getting some success.  I do wonder about Hamilton not taking advantage and doing more with their attendance while they are on a winning steak.  

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

If you're comparing rosters player-for-player, Forge has had a clear talent advantage each year, and in many cases it's not even close. If he can bring those recruitment skills to an MLS, great. Otherwise I suspect he'll find his coaching talents are not enough.

I don’t think you’re giving enough credit to the adversity Forge has faced.

The depth in the squad, specifically at the back has always been poor. The last two seasons our defence has been beat up. It takes good coaching to overcome those losses.

AAJ looked out of his element in the move to CB early in the season, but it looks genius now. Our midfield in the finals last season was Bekker - AAJ - Cisse, and none of those players were available to play in the makeshift midfield we started this year in the finals. 

Bobby has always made the most with what he has available to him.

29 minutes ago, RJB said:

So this title doesn't seem to get them any continental qualification.  Is that right?  Looks like the concacaf league is over, and it isn't until 2024 that CPL gets a berth into champions league.  Seems a shame.

Yep. But we get two then. Likely regular season winners and playoff winners, with the possibility of a third through the V Cup.