Match Thread: The Final - October 30, 2022 - Atletico Ottawa v Forge

narduch

I am obviously biased since I cheer for them in the CPL but IMO an Ottawa victory would be best for the league.

This one doesn't come with a place in CONCACAF soccer so we don't have to ask ourselves who would be the better representatives for the league. Nor does there seem to have been a correlation in the past between players getting transfers and their team winning the championship so we don't have to ask ourselves whom of Tabla or Pacius we most want to see get the opportunity. 

What it boil down to IMO, at least for the most part, is what team could use the glow and the popularity boost the most and which would best serve the CPL by getting it. Forge... I am skeptical: whether they win this evening or not they will go down as the powerhouse of the early CPL. That's either gonna be enough to build them a fanbase big and devoted enough to ensure their long term sustainability or it won't and tonight is unlikely to change much in that regard IMO. 

Ottawa though? I do feel the case is stronger here: an Ottawa team that would gather the whole, or near whole, of the old Fury's fanbase would reach and exceed the attendance levels of Halifax, becoming the second CPL team to reach the threshold we want and need CPL teams to reach at some point in that regard. Without relitigating the whole thing I do feel its fair to say that lingering resentment among some over the circumstance of the Fury's demise have proven a significant obstacle for Athletico Ottawa in that sense, and that even if they have worked hard to overcome this obstacle there is still some significant holdhouts among the old Fury's fanbase. Tonight, however, Athletico has the chance to do what the Fury never did: get a trophy. My hope is that by winning tonight they finally leave those ghosts behind and get to reliably have the crowds I know an Ottawa soccer team at that level of play can reliably get.

Edited by phil03