York United - 2023 Season Thread

During the Forge vs York game, they flashed a supposed "statistic" that York have a record of 1 win, 1 draw, and 10 losses against Forge. This is totally wrong. Well I think the 1 draw is correct. Last year York won 2 and lost 2. In 2021 it was 4 wins for Forge (plus a playoff win) and 2 wins for York. In 2020 York won the only meeting. And in 2019 it was 3 wins for Forge, 1 win for York United, and 1 draw. So by my count that is a record of 6 wins, 1 draw, and 9 losses (at the time of the statistic, now 10 losses after the loss on Friday) for York United vs Forge. I guess if they were counting the playoff win (off the top of my head I don't think they have ever played each other in the Canadian Championship) then they would be right about the 10 losses as well. So they just undershot the York wins by forgetting 5 wins by York.

• 2 weeks later...

Most wins in CPL this season.
York United and Forge with 4 each.

Most losses in CPL this season.
York United and Atletico Ottawa with 4 each.

Can't be too often a team leads in both of those categories this late into a season.

1st place! York United will be second place (no higher, no lower) after the Forge vs Pacific game tomorrow, and will stay there at least until their next game next weekend against Pacific.

I don't know if this has ever happened before, or if it will ever happen again (2 more games played or not), so I'm screenshotting the standings.

image.png.95bb683ee97fff820385f8c5aced59c2.png

P.S. Happy that Osaze De Rosario finally got his first goal of the season. Hopefully that is the start of a return to last year's form!

12 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

A well fought win by the lads too bad some of their teammates don't care about the team and would prefer everyone to know they're bigots while letting the team down. Hopefully Nash keeps it rolling with the team that won today.

What happened?

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

What happened?

Babouli, the Ukrainian kid, 2 of the dutch signings and Wright decided that they weren't gonna help their team today because they'd have to wear pride night kits.

Edited by sebdeserio

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

Babouli, the Ukrainian kid, 2 of the dutch signings and Wright decided that they weren't gonna help their team today because they'd have to wear pride night kits.

Fine line between freedom of thought and speech, freedom of religion, and perceived bigotry. Some Muslims and some Christians will go with their religious beliefs which in Canada is a Charter Right. Also a Charter Right is freedom from discrimination  directed at some people by others. The LGBTQ+ community strives to be, and must be, the beneficiary of this freedom.

What is most important is for people, religious or otherwise, to avoid blatantly judging others - not their job. So nobody should judge one's sexual orientation or gender, or religious belief. This is a tough balancing act but it must happen. 

Live and let live! No haters, please!

I assume that the York players who opted to sit this match out will be fined their game salary. Fair ball.

10 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

So would they refuse to play if a team mate was openly gay too ? That would be interesting. 

Wonder what people think was gained by having this Pride Night. A boost in attendance? The actual crowd appears to be under 500 based on what's visible in the highlights. Proving the York United dressing room is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community? Doesn't look like it. Providing York United with some positive publicity? Doesn't look like it. Bringing the York United team together to push a worthy cause? Doesn't look like it. Maybe better to just focus on playing soccer rather than pushing social agendas like this, if you are not able to get everybody on board?

As an organization, York United gets full credit: the ensured their support for the community would not be tokenism, but rather deep and meaningful discussions and contributions. They curated an entire Pride kit for the night and, when faced by the reality that nearly one fifth of the club’s small roster would not wear it, simply dropped those players in a match against last year’s regular season champions.

It is their right to die on this hill – you can’t force a player to dress in a kit if they don’t believe the 2SLGBTQIA+ community is one worth honouring – but I don’t have to cover those players either. If they don’t believe an entire demographic of people are worthy of love and respect just because of who they love, that’s appalling. People who think that are not worth my time. Full stop.

The Canadian Premier League operates on the motto ‘We Are Many, We Are One’, and it’s sad to see that even in 2023 this is a lofty idealism rather than truth. 

Pride matches aren't about gaining something or trying to get a big crowd in. They are about celebrating the LGBT community who, even in 2023, are still under attack for simply being who they are. 

CPL supporters have LGBT members who experience this discrimination on a daily basis and the fact that a quarter of York's roster refused to wear a kit that simply shows that everyone is equal is disgusting. 

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Wonder what people think was gained by having this Pride Night. A boost in attendance? The actual crowd appears to be under 500 based on what's visible in the highlights. Proving the York United dressing room is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community? Doesn't look like it. Providing York United with some positive publicity? Doesn't look like it. Bringing the York United team together to push a worthy cause? Doesn't look like it. Maybe better to just focus on playing soccer rather than pushing social agendas like this, if you are not able to get everybody on board?

One of your worst posts ever dude.  The game (and everything else) is for everyone, even you.

18 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I assume that the York players who opted to sit this match out will be fined their game salary. Fair ball.

Just to be clear, the York players did not opt to sit this game out...they said they didn't want to wear the kit and were dropped.