York United - 2023 Season Thread

• 2 weeks later...

He replaces Himaras who got surgery and should be back in September...also Alou is gone...another failed international recruitment experience for york this time with dutch players...faye and alou gone before the end of the year

York also announced on Friday that the club has agreed to mutually terminate its contract with midfielder Oussama Alou

Edited by Big_M

On 8/4/2023 at 2:21 PM, Big_M said:

He replaces Himaras who got surgery and should be back in September...also Alou is gone...another failed international recruitment experience for york this time with dutch players...faye and alou gone before the end of the year

York also announced on Friday that the club has agreed to mutually terminate its contract with midfielder Oussama Alou

Haven't checked this thread in a while, and I missed the Alou news. I thought he was pretty good. Disappointed he is gone.

It'll be tough tonight, but would be massive if York can find a way to beat Forge. Cavalry lost yesterday, Pacific and Ottawa play each other so at least one of them will drop points, so a win today would mean York gain ground on at least 3, and possibly all 4 of the teams in front of them in the standings. Lose the game and there is a good chance HFX breaks the tie with York and we are on the outside looking in.

• 2 weeks later...

Before the Cavalry vs Pacific game, York United is only 3 points behind the 2nd through 5th place teams (some with 1 or 2 games in hand though). Despite the poor recent form, there is still a shot to make a run for it... but York United will need to do it while giving a lot more U21 minutes of course.

• 2 weeks later...

York United announce signing of Kadin Martin-Pereux, loans Michael Petrasso

York United announced on Wednesday that the club has signed Canadian wing-back Kadin Martin-Pereux for the remainder of the 2023 season. The club also has an option to extend his contract a further twelve months should he impress during the Nine Stripes’ playoff push.

Martin-Pereux most recently played for SC Paderborn II in the German fifth tier, scoring seven goals and adding an assist during the 2022-23 campaign.

The 20-year-old will also qualify as a domestic U-21 player, giving York another option as they close in on their required 2,000 minutes to be eligible for the 2023 CPL playoffs. The Nine Stripes have currently tallied 1,296 with five matches remaining.

Earlier in the day, York also announced the departure of veteran winger Michael Petrasso on loan to National League side Maidstone Town. The 28-year-old was loaned to National League side Barnet FC in 2020-2021 where he scored 10 goals in all competitions.

Petrasso has made just one start in 14 total appearances with York United during what has been an injury-limited season. The nine-times capped Canadian international will be hoping for more regular playing time across the pond.

York also announced the signing of two Development players as Shola Jimoh and Adriano Iannello were promoted from the club’s academy on Wednesday.

I know there is still time left (and I plan on getting myself a ticket to the game this weekend) but last game really felt like an implosion. I am certain I am overreacting, but it was a gut punch to have Abatneh sent off so early in the game, both for the game itself, but also the U21 minute implications (including a suspension), and then it was just so very stupid of Babouli to talk his way to a red card. He talked his way to a yellow, then not long after, down 2 goals and seconds away from the end of the game, talks his way into a second yellow/red. So stupid. I don't like York United's playoff chances when I see behaviour like that. It felt like a pivotal moment in the season. Hopefully I am wrong though and they can turn things around this weekend.