York United - 2023 Season Thread

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

One of your worst posts ever dude.  The game (and everything else) is for everyone, even you.

Ludicrous post. I was pointing out that what York actually managed to do was highlight the extent to which soccer still has a major problem with homophobia which is the exact opposite of what the exercise was supposed to achieve.

20 hours ago, masster said:

Just to be clear, the York players did not opt to sit this game out...they said they didn't want to wear the kit and were dropped.

Ah.

So....why didn't they want to wear the kit?   What exactly was it about "that kit" which spired the players to verbalize their displeasure?

Not being sarcastic though it must read like I am.  I am curious.  

8 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Ah.

So....why didn't they want to wear the kit?   What exactly was it about "that kit" which spired the players to verbalize their displeasure?

Not being sarcastic though it must read like I am.  I am curious.  

I'm not on twitter, but I imagine personalized reasons haven't been given publicly. It could be that they think homosexuality is wrong or even evil, it could be that they don't agree with some decisions regarding trans women playing women's sports, for Babouli it could be him worrying about what the Syrian fans and FA would think of him supporting pride, it could be coming from pressure from homophobic parents/family members, it could even be a belief that it's a political issue and they think there should be as much separation of politics and the game as possible (even if they have no problems with 2SLGBTQIA+). Some of those possibilities are much more likely than others, but we can only speculate at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having no u21 players on the bench yesterday should be a fireable offence for Nash. They're already starting to fall back down to their level after a hot stretch and can't afford to throw points away giving u21s minutes just for the sake of it at the end of the season. this would've been the perfect game to throw them all on after 4-0 but there was only Himaras, who he still didn't use to give Niko a break.

4 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Having no u21 players on the bench yesterday should be a fireable offence for Nash. They're already starting to fall back down to their level after a hot stretch and can't afford to throw points away giving u21s minutes just for the sake of it at the end of the season. this would've been the perfect game to throw them all on after 4-0 but there was only Himaras, who he still didn't use to give Niko a break.

noah broke his arm and marki is out for a while. but yeah theo should have been on the bench. 

All the audio from the post game press conference of Sun July 9/23 CPL game between York United FC and Forge FC played at York Lions Stadium. Wow 32 minutes of Terran Campbell, Bobby Smyrniotis, Martin Nash and Paris Gee answering questions. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports23/23york119.htm    

Nash does answer my question about with the Faye roster spot open, York will fill it with a U-21 rather than with Faye's international slot.  

Haven't been very active at all over the past few years. 

Just wanted to pop in and say I went to the game last night against Forge with a few buddies of mine. They're hockey guys but loved being at the stadium. Sadly not the result or performance we were hoping for but Forge really showed what a top team in the league looks like. A clear step above, sadly I think a lot of it has to do with coaching. 

Will be heading out to the game again on Friday against Pacific. Hoping for another entertaining evening 🤞

19 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Will be interesting to see if they replace Barry Smith or this is the start of the league running York United on a shoestring budget like FC Edmonton in 2022.

The team and supporters section were trying to impress the "7 7 7 Group" here tonight as possible potential owners. 

I don't know them but some in the press box were saying "Not them, they drive teams into the ground". 

Edited by Rocket Robin

interesting...777 has a majority stake in genoa,standard liege,red star fc,vasco da gama and hertha berlin (though they dont have majority voting rights as thats how it is in germany) and looks like 7.5% of sevilla and minority of melbourne victory with a deal to become majority in the next few years

On the one hand, I kind of want just any owner to take over the team, because it's better than the alternative of the team folding in the near future. On the other hand, this team needs some real competence to turn the team around (off the field at least, doing OK on the field this season).

On 7/13/2023 at 3:55 PM, StillOnFire said:

York's form is really hit or miss, very annoying.

There are a lot of players I like a lot on the team, unfortunately though the strikers just can't get going and it's holding them back from being one of the top couple teams.