TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

I also expect TFC to struggle.  There's a good chance they won't make the playoffs.  But even if that happens, I really just hope to see some sort of plan or strategy with how this team is going to be built for long term success.  Poor results are okay if there is some sort of plan in place.

The worst thing that could happen is that they get bad results in March and April and then feel like they need to shake things up in May and June.

4 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I know that a lot of people really like him and, if I'm objective, he has done a lot of work for the team.  It just seems that every time I watch him, he does some boneheaded thing or makes a completely unnecessary, violent tackle to get a card and give up a dangerous free kick.

I agree with you that he can make dumb tackles. However he helps the team tremendously with their depth and most of the time he plays very well and compact.

57 minutes ago, Kingston said:

This is it exactly.

We brought in a couple of key new players for the spine of the team.  Salcedo, Insigne, and - depending what you think of him - Jimenez.  They join whichever keeper, Bradley, Osorio, and (unfortunately) Mavinga.  That will take some time to gel.

In addition to the spine players those guys replaced, we also dumped most of the older, non-Canadian players outside the spine.  Guys like Mullins, Dwyer, Endoh, and Delgado.  We did this to the extent that, not only do our young Canadians have a place to shine, they are going to have to contribute big minutes because we don't have enough players for it to be otherwise.  I think they will rise to the occasion but, like the new spine players, it will take some time for them to set.

With all this newness (and the late arrival of Insigne) we will likely start slowly but continually accelerate as the season goes on.  If we overcome our slow start and make the playoffs, we are going to be the "underdog" team that no one wants to draw.  And we should be looking very strong for 2023.

I'm especially excited to see how our young Canadians pan out.  It feels like we will finally stop wasting their talents as happened with guys like Chapman, Hamilton, Fraser, and Dunn.

I see Shaffelburg as settling in as an MLS starter.  Akinola has chosen MLS over Europe but has the potential be huge and to play himself into the NT conversation.  Marshall-Rutty, Priso, and possibly Nelson all have the potential to show very well for a year and then move on to different levels in Europe.  And that still leaves Perruzza, Okello, Petrasso, and Singh  (not to mention slightly older, recent signings MacNaughton and Chung).  Many options, lots of potential, and a lot of promise for the NT pipeline from just one club team.

I really hope Bob can do for Okello what he did with Kaye.  Show him some confidence and belief, and give him a real chance.  Seems he really stagnated the past 1-2 years.  That's what a bad coach will do. 

28 minutes ago, costarg said:

I really hope Bob can do for Okello what he did with Kaye.  

I hope that for all those guys.  I get that not every young prospect is going to work out but TFC has wasted most of their young talent so far.  They develop them all the way up to the first team but then just let them languish on the bench with few starts and small numbers of late game substitutions.  Then, after two years where the player doesn't magically become a starter, they cut them.

Because of this TFC doesn't get new starting (or even starring) players that it developed for free.  TFC also just lets them go instead of selling them on.  Finally, the NT sees promising prospects fall off the table because of wasted talent, not lack of talent.

I'm hopeful, and also optimistic, that this will now finally change.

7 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I also expect TFC to struggle.  There's a good chance they won't make the playoffs.  But even if that happens, I really just hope to see some sort of plan or strategy with how this team is going to be built for long term success.  Poor results are okay if there is some sort of plan in place.

The worst thing that could happen is that they get bad results in March and April and then feel like they need to shake things up in May and June.

TFC really missed an opportunity last year with the team tanking badly to blood their young players. There was no chance of a playoff spot and giving those players big minutes would have set them up to step in and produce this season. I feel good about BB though.

For those that are clamouring for a return to the onyx kit (a favourite of many!) ---- Kit and Bone, a small UK company, has released a "concept" jersey in Onyx for TFC fans -- it is only around for about a week or so to order -- they generally have limited runs of these concept jerseys, and they just started doing some MLS ones, and the TFC one was released this morning for sale. Might not be everyone's cup of tea....but then again is a half grey/half white kit rocking anyone's world these days?😉

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is what I had hoped to see from TFC.  Hopefully the kids can carry the load.   

6131101F-75DC-41F0-BA02-7F173E9A5260.jpeg

Agree.  This is what I've always wanted to see in TFC: a spine of experience surrounded by young Canadian talent.  Really crossing my fingers that this works out.

Although, I have to wonder what JMR is doing with gloves on?  Didn't think Canadians were allowed to wear those.  Unless of course its so he can drop them and scrap.

Update: and Dallas scores.  Damn.

Glad to see the ref for this match is equally garbage as the Caps game. Otherwise I'd get a victim complex.

It is not that hard to pronounce Spanish names, especially when they actually have accents on them: 

Jesús Jiménez (Giménez, as in Raúl, the same)

Je-SUS Jim-EN-ez.

Not HEY-zoos HI-manez

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Geez, here I am looking at TFC being far better than the Caps, but the reality is equally dire. 

What bugs me is that they don't have last year's excuse, having to do preseason away from home. You are supposed to go into your first match of the year looking ready, or close to ready. What is this coasting business?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I always had VWFC as having a better 2022 than TFC.  I figure the turnover in TFC's lineup will hamper them for the first month or two.  VWFC should have the better record, but I think TFC will be more fun (or interesting at least) from a CanMNT perspective.

What I like though is that, to me, JMR doesn't look out of place.  Still not sure he's a $20M player, but he seems to be doing pretty good.