TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

The league was coming out with some great and interesting kits this year (for once) so I was optimistic. But this kit is... Very much not it. Grey and White... Inspiring. 

With the season starting this weekend, we seem very not ready. It's amazing how excited I was about the beginning moves of this preseason compared to where we are now. Soooo many missing pieces. 

Oh and btw, who thinks Insigne will have close to Giovinco success? I honestly think he’ll be a bust or will get injury confining him to the sidelines.

The weight of expectation will be heavy on him, especially if TFC don’t start the season well. 

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

Oh and btw, who thinks Insigne will have close to Giovinco success? I honestly think he’ll be a bust or will get injury confining him to the sidelines.

The weight of expectation will be heavy on him, especially if TFC don’t start the season well. 

He's better then gio when he came over. I know gio was treated unfairly at Juve, but Insigne is an italian top 5 player. It'd be harder for him to flop then for him to be the best in the MLS in my opinion

2 minutes ago, QBCS said:

He's better then gio when he came over. I know gio was treated unfairly at Juve, but Insigne is an italian top 5 player. It'd be harder for him to flop then for him to be the best in the MLS in my opinion

Interesting. Very interesting.

Gio came with less expectations and less hype. More so as a fallen prodigy who still never reached his prime. 

Insigne is coming as like you said top 5 Italian player, but on the downward of his career - outside of his prime. 

With what you said, I think the bulk of people will be expecting better than Gio, but I don’t personally. I hope to be surprised. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Interesting. Very interesting.

Gio came with less expectations and less hype. More so as a fallen prodigy who still never reached his prime. 

Insigne is coming as like you said top 5 Italian player, but on the downward of his career - outside of his prime. 

With what you said, I think the bulk of people will be expecting better than Gio, but I don’t personally. I hope to be surprised. 

essentially its a underrated player in his prime, or a top 5 Italian on the decline of it. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I agree.  The chances of this going sideways are higher than I'd like if I was dropping this much for one player.  Hopefully he is not temperamental because this first season is going to be difficult.

I think he would have to eclipse Giovinco in terms of club legend to live up to the expectations at this point.  That is going to be tough.

Gio came in with a chip on his shoulder from being overlooked and had something to prove. Insigne knows this may be his last big money run and he can now cash in, because this is probably his last dance with the Italian National team this year.  I would take Gio in 2015 over Insigne today.

These signings make me think of the Maple Leafs around 2004, with 37 year old Nieuwendyk, 37 year old Roberts, 38 year old Belfour, 34 year old Mogilny, 40 year old Ron Francis... great players 5-15 years earlier when they were on Cup winners. They were decent players that year, but only good enough until they ran out of steam at season's end, because they were old.  TFC got rid of Omar Gonzalez, whose 32 and a former USMT player, for a 35 year old former Italian men's team defender whose team is being relegated from Serie A this year. How does that make sense?

Hopefully the young players learn fast because this obsession with Italians who are exiting their prime or who were at their best 5 years ago worries me.

Not many people are talking about it, but what do you think the plan is with Kosi Thompson? He's been kinda under the radar during this whole preseason.

I've been pretty hyped about him for several years now, but he was playing as a winger. In all the preseason games however, he's been playing as a CM/AM and hasn't really looked to out of place.

2 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Not many people are talking about it, but what do you think the plan is with Kosi Thompson? He's been kinda under the radar during this whole preseason.

I've been pretty hyped about him for several years now, but he was playing as a winger. In all the preseason games however, he's been playing as a CM/AM and hasn't really looked to out of place.

Did he sign a senior deal?

8 hours ago, gigi riva said:

As a loyal TFC supporter I think this years edition will struggle at the beginning yet improve as the season progresses . Theyn start of in Dallas a place that TFC has had very little success at . Hoping the Young Canadian kids will shine

This is it exactly.

We brought in a couple of key new players for the spine of the team.  Salcedo, Insigne, and - depending what you think of him - Jimenez.  They join whichever keeper, Bradley, Osorio, and (unfortunately) Mavinga.  That will take some time to gel.

In addition to the spine players those guys replaced, we also dumped most of the older, non-Canadian players outside the spine.  Guys like Mullins, Dwyer, Endoh, and Delgado.  We did this to the extent that, not only do our young Canadians have a place to shine, they are going to have to contribute big minutes because we don't have enough players for it to be otherwise.  I think they will rise to the occasion but, like the new spine players, it will take some time for them to set.

With all this newness (and the late arrival of Insigne) we will likely start slowly but continually accelerate as the season goes on.  If we overcome our slow start and make the playoffs, we are going to be the "underdog" team that no one wants to draw.  And we should be looking very strong for 2023.

I'm especially excited to see how our young Canadians pan out.  It feels like we will finally stop wasting their talents as happened with guys like Chapman, Hamilton, Fraser, and Dunn.

I see Shaffelburg as settling in as an MLS starter.  Akinola has chosen MLS over Europe but has the potential be huge and to play himself into the NT conversation.  Marshall-Rutty, Priso, and possibly Nelson all have the potential to show very well for a year and then move on to different levels in Europe.  And that still leaves Perruzza, Okello, Petrasso, and Singh  (not to mention slightly older, recent signings MacNaughton and Chung).  Many options, lots of potential, and a lot of promise for the NT pipeline from just one club team.

2 minutes ago, Kingston said:

This is it exactly.

We brought in a couple of key new players for the spine of the team.  Salcedo, Insigne, and - depending what you think of him - Jimenez.  They join whichever keeper, Bradley, Osorio, and (unfortunately) Mavinga.  That will take some time to gel.

In addition to the spine players those guys replaced, we also dumped most of the older, non-Canadian players outside the spine.  Guys like Mullins, Dwyer, Endoh, and Delgado.  We did this to the extent that, not only do our young Canadians have a place to shine, they are going to have to contribute big minutes because we don't have enough players for it to be otherwise.  I think they will rise to the occasion but, like the new spine players, it will take some time for them to set.

With all this newness (and the late arrival of Insigne) we will likely start slowly but continually accelerate as the season goes on.  If we overcome our slow start and make the playoffs, we are going to be the "underdog" team that no one wants to draw.  And we should be looking very strong for 2023.

I'm especially excited to see how our young Canadians pan out.  It feels like we will finally stop wasting their talents as happened with guys like Chapman, Hamilton, Fraser, and Dunn.

I see Shaffelburg as settling in as an MLS starter.  Akinola has chosen MLS over Europe but has the potential be huge and to play himself into the NT conversation.  Marshall-Rutty, Priso, and possibly Nelson all have the potential to show very well for a year and then move on to different levels in Europe.  And that still leaves Perruzza, Okello, Petrasso, and Singh  (not to mention slightly older, recent signings MacNaughton and Chung).  Many options, lots of potential, and a lot of promise for the NT pipeline from just one club team.

agreed, just wondering what you mean by "unfortunately " for Mavinga?

7 minutes ago, lbula17 said:

agreed, just wondering what you mean by "unfortunately " for Mavinga?

I know that a lot of people really like him and, if I'm objective, he has done a lot of work for the team.  It just seems that every time I watch him, he does some boneheaded thing or makes a completely unnecessary, violent tackle to get a card and give up a dangerous free kick.