WCQ: Third Round - Window 3 (November 12-16, 2021)

dyslexic nam

i was kinda irritated friday didnt result in a more convincing win, but now that im back to being grateful (instead of being greedy), i just wanna ask the gallery:

what does it say when other teams now cheer for you to draw instead of winning? 

(ive never been in this position before as a fan of the MNT...)

just checking, the boys have achieved this level collecting their V's badges right?

Tonight's refs:

Canada – Mexico
Referee: Mario Escobar (GUA)
Assistant Referee 1: Caleb Wales (TRI)
Assistant Referee 2: William Arrieta (CRC) 
Fourth Official: Benjamin Pineda (CRC)

Jamaica – USA
Referee: Juan Calderon (CRC)
Assistant Referee 1: Juan Mora (CRC)
Assistant Referee 2: Juan Tipaz (GUA)
Fourth Official: Bryan Lopez (GUA)

Costa Rica – Honduras
Referee: Jair Marrufo (USA)
Assistant Referee 1: Frank Anderson (USA)
Assistant Referee 2: Kathryn Nesbitt (USA)
Fourth Official: Rubiel Vazquez (USA)

Panama – El Salvador
Referee: Marco Ortiz (MEX)
Assistant Referee 1: Christian Espinosa (MEX)
Assistant Referee 2: Jose Martinez (MEX)
Fourth Official: Jorge Perez (MEX)

Edited by narduch

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Tonight's refs:

Canada – Mexico
Referee: Mario Escobar (GUA, photo)
Assistant Referee 1: Caleb Wales (TRI)
Assistant Referee 2: William Arrieta (CRC) 
Fourth Official: Benjamin Pineda (CRC)

Jamaica – USA
Referee: Juan Calderon (CRC)
Assistant Referee 1: Juan Mora (CRC)
Assistant Referee 2: Juan Tipaz (GUA)
Fourth Official: Bryan Lopez (GUA)

Costa Rica – Honduras
Referee: Jair Marrufo (USA)
Assistant Referee 1: Frank Anderson (USA)
Assistant Referee 2: Kathryn Nesbitt (USA)
Fourth Official: Rubiel Vazquez (USA)

Panama – El Salvador
Referee: Marco Ortiz (MEX)
Assistant Referee 1: Christian Espinosa (MEX)
Assistant Referee 2: Jose Martinez (MEX)
Fourth Official: Jorge Perez (MEX)

Pretty balanced all the way around 

1 minute ago, Kent said:

So today, we obviously want El Salvador to beat Panama, and we want Honduras to beat Costa Rica. The less obvious one is Jamaica vs USA. I think I want Jamaica to beat USA, but maybe only if we also beat Mexico. If we lose to Mexico, Jamaica being at 9 points makes me a bit more nervous.

A Costa Rica win makes our road match v Honduras virtually meaningless to them. Honduras would have nothing to play for.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

So today, we obviously want El Salvador to beat Panama, and we want Honduras to beat Costa Rica. The less obvious one is Jamaica vs USA. I think I want Jamaica to beat USA, but maybe only if we also beat Mexico. If we lose to Mexico, Jamaica being at 9 points makes me a bit more nervous.

Jamaica to win or a draw would be best, they play Panama next window and we still want them in the fight and not have them roll over just yet. If they take two consecutive L's to the US and then Mexico next window, they would head into that Panama match pretty much dead.

I'd take a CR/Honduras draw as well because Honduras on 3 or 4 pts, they may just give up seeing the big bad Canadians coming to town.

Jamaica sitting on six is last stand territory...they bowed up a bit last time at home and managed a draw with Canada....but I think they need three against the US now...that late header by Roldan in the 90th minute Friday was an absolute killer for them....

Honduras seems cooked already...

Edited by mrstepp817

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Pretty much want draws everywhere else with a win for Canada. Maybe an ES win over Panama but don’t see that happening in Panama 

No fans in Panama.  We’ll see.  I find you never know what you’re going to get in games between El Salvador, Jamaica, Honduras, Panama and Costa Rica.  So unpredictable

4 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

No fans in Panama.  We’ll see.  I find you never know what you’re going to get in games between El Salvador, Jamaica, Honduras, Panama and Costa Rica.  So unpredictable

I second this. I wouldn't put it past Panama to drop points against El Savlador. They aren't going to sit back and they can't afford to considering they're on 6 points. I smell a draw in this one. 

Remember, El Salvador has only gotten points at home so far. I know they have only played 2 road games, but neither were close. Don’t hold your breath for points in Panama, where they have been VERY good the last 2 WCQ campaigns. 

The other 2, I hoping for a draw. We don’t need Jamaica making this a 5 horse race with a win, and the States losing points would be good as well. 

Costa Rica can tie Honduras. Would basically eliminate Honduras, who would have to win the last 6 games just to have a chance at 3rd/4th. Keeps Costa Rica at 7 points. 

DRAWS ARE MOSTLY ALWAYS THE BEST RESULTS. 

1 hour ago, Kent said:

A Costa Rica win serves us better. We want to face a completely hapless Honduras with no chance of qualifying when we play them in January. Conversely, Costa Rica plays Panama next and we want that game to matter for Costa Rica. A Costa Rica loss today and a Panama win would make the gap between them 8 points with 6 games to go. 

A Jamaica win or draw is also good for us. There’s nothing written that says USA are guaranteed a top 3 spot, so anything that keeps us close to them is good for us. It also keeps USA motivated later into the qualifiers which we need - they play Panama on matchday 13 right before we do.Jamaica plays Mexico and then Panama next window. We need a motivated Jamaica in that Panama game.

17 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

Remember, El Salvador has only gotten points at home so far. I know they have only played 2 road games, but neither were close. Don’t hold your breath for points in Panama, where they have been VERY good the last 2 WCQ campaigns. 

The other 2, I hoping for a draw. We don’t need Jamaica making this a 5 horse race with a win, and the States losing points would be good as well. 

Costa Rica can tie Honduras. Would basically eliminate Honduras, who would have to win the last 6 games just to have a chance at 3rd/4th. Keeps Costa Rica at 7 points. 

DRAWS ARE MOSTLY ALWAYS THE BEST RESULTS. 

Draws WERE the best results when everyone was close together. Now, virtually any bottom 4 win against the top 4 is the best result for us.

On 11/13/2021 at 5:29 PM, Free kick said:

I agree.  I looked at the highlights.  On YouTube.  It looks to me that the first two of the Panama goals were gifted.   If there was ever an investigation,  one would think that the Honduran defender #3 (Figueroa) should be first one interrogated.  

I read a book a couple of years ago that touched briefly on match fixing in soccer.  It’s never a whole team that has to be in in the collusion but rather a few select players.  One being a central defender. 

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive to this but I think it's incredibly unfair to make comments like this. Especially about Figueroa, who's had quite a long career in the Premiere League and MLS. To even hint at him being involved in match fixing seems really inappropriate. 

I know that's not exactly what you were trying to say and I'm not going to be naive to the fact that match fixing exists but this just rubs me the wrong way. Even as much as I am team #FH