2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

16 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Today Panama and El Salvador agreed to a diplomatic 0-0. According to twitter to avoid Canada and then Mexico and go the least complicated path. The local media described this tie as embarrassing.

Didn’t see this match, just looked at the stats. Literally no shots on goal from either team. Did they even try to hide the fact that they agreed to play to a draw?

Whatever happened to the concept of playing final group matches simultaneously like every other tournament in the world does for this specific reason? I remember West Germany/Austria which caused a major rethink about final matches of group stage schedules!

Edit: For those too young to know about this here is a link about the match I was referring to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

Edited by gator

On 6/25/2022 at 6:37 AM, gator said:

Whatever happened to the concept of playing final group matches simultaneously like every other tournament in the world does for this specific reason? I remember West Germany/Austria which caused a major rethink about final matches of group stage schedules!

Edit: For those too young to know about this here is a link about the match I was referring to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

I referred to this recently on the board related to how the groups will go in 2026, with a final match between 2 of the 3 teams. Bad idea.

You were perhaps unaware that yesterday, when you posted this, it was 30 years to the day since it happened. Read it in the sport press here in Spain. I also remember seeing it. Spain 82 had a weak group phase, then the knockouts were very high level, some of the best matches in WC history.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

I just went through the whole senior team. Combined they have 66 caps at the u17 and u20 level. Nearly half of those are from Piette and Hutch. So fortunately, youth success isn't super relevant to senior team success.

I have not checked stats for other nations, but I would suspect that this is more of an issue for Canada mainly because our youth  programs have been inactive other than for Concacaf WCQ.  Our players selections in the past have also been very suspect.

Everyone- our three best youth players are not playing for Canada. The team wasn’t good enough. The coaching was bad. The field was horrible but our players and coaching didn’t adapt. 
The team had some nice pieces for overall was bad. Defensively we played well but 0 Offence Even vs St.Kitts we only scored 4 goals on them. 

If the CSA really have a shit about developing and having great youth players and teams - they wouldn’t have put CSA Peter Griffin in charge. The only thing he’s good for is kissing Herdman’s ass ! 

Edited by SpecialK

I had low expectations forthis tourney anyway,  We had a few top players missing, but the most important  thing zero prep time , No Camps, and No friendlies , I cant see why our youth teams cant play CPL teams in friendlies or even MLS teams  during both leagues Pre seasons, I think The Americans have why cant we. Even if Carlo Anchelotti was managing this team wih the amount of prep time that they had it would not have made that much of a difference , 

Until we see some investment in our u20s or other youth programs expect some crappy results

My observations of this really awful and disappointing result:

Ben Alexander was excellent in goal. Well done. 

The defense was mostly solid - Campagna was low-event which is good for a central defender. Knight-Lebel made the one terrible mistake and generally looked nervy on the ball, but otherwise was solid. Ferdinand was very mixed (someone else aptly said he is the second coming of Doneil Henry). 

Justin Smith - excellent (except for the PK). Head and shoulders above his teammates and frankly all of the opponents, including the US players. Great control, passing, presence. Clearly a key member of the senior national team in future. Big season ahead.

The midfield - poor overall. Improved a little as the tournament went on but never drove play forward. LIttle creativity except for Catavolo. Zouhir, Pellegrino, Henry - none of them took the initiative. Very disappointing outside of the deep-lying play of Smith.

The attack - shockingly ineffective. No attacking ability up the middle (think of those passes that split apart the defense from Osorio, Eustaquiao, Hoilett - there was none of that). No speed on the wings - Habibullah showed some in spurts but nothing from Costa, Assi. No dribbling prowess - very little beating opponents one on one. Finishing was poor with Wright scoring that nice goal vs the US but Mbongue completely out of his element.

Among the other disappointments: what happened with Abatneh and Costa? Two of the more hyped prospects were barely seen after the first, disappointing, game. 

In the end, was this failure a result of coaching, lack of training, lack of talent, or parts of all three?

Not even making it out of the round of 16? Ugh, this is one of the worst tournament performances I can remember. What a disappointment. We shall see how Herdman manages the youth setup going forward because this plan certainly didn't work. 

1 hour ago, Northvansteve said:

My observations of this really awful and disappointing result:

Ben Alexander was excellent in goal. Well done. 

The defense was mostly solid - Campagna was low-event which is good for a central defender. Knight-Lebel made the one terrible mistake and generally looked nervy on the ball, but otherwise was solid. Ferdinand was very mixed (someone else aptly said he is the second coming of Doneil Henry). 

Justin Smith - excellent (except for the PK). Head and shoulders above his teammates and frankly all of the opponents, including the US players. Great control, passing, presence. Clearly a key member of the senior national team in future. Big season ahead.

The midfield - poor overall. Improved a little as the tournament went on but never drove play forward. LIttle creativity except for Catavolo. Zouhir, Pellegrino, Henry - none of them took the initiative. Very disappointing outside of the deep-lying play of Smith.

The attack - shockingly ineffective. No attacking ability up the middle (think of those passes that split apart the defense from Osorio, Eustaquiao, Hoilett - there was none of that). No speed on the wings - Habibullah showed some in spurts but nothing from Costa, Assi. No dribbling prowess - very little beating opponents one on one. Finishing was poor with Wright scoring that nice goal vs the US but Mbongue completely out of his element.

Among the other disappointments: what happened with Abatneh and Costa? Two of the more hyped prospects were barely seen after the first, disappointing, game. 

In the end, was this failure a result of coaching, lack of training, lack of talent, or parts of all three?

Not even making it out of the round of 16? Ugh, this is one of the worst tournament performances I can remember. What a disappointment. We shall see how Herdman manages the youth setup going forward because this plan certainly didn't work. 

I completely Agree

We felt disjointed between the defense -> midfield, and the midfield -> attack.

Our defending off the ball was great, but our backline looked like deer in headlines when in possession, especially Campagna who was prone to turnover. 

Everything has already been said about Smith. Zouhir was one of the more disappointing pieces for me. I expected more from a player who CF Montreal has trusted with main team appearances 11 times. I thought Pellegrino showed some promising creativity, but was a bit out of his element. Catavolo was a little spark plug, reminiscent of the last few caps when Herdman used Teibert as a late sub.

Attacking wise, it felt like we had nothing in the wings and that honestly might be down to tactics. There was no "beating them wide", and oftentimes it felt like Lowell Wright was on an island, sort of like a Cyle Larin on a pre-2019 CanMNT. 

Not going to right off any individuals from that showing, but hell that group did not seem to mesh well.