2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

Ok- so CONCACAF wants to show it’s a true player in FIFA. Show the world football is growing in North America. They have a huge announcement of the cities of the World Cup 2026, excitement is high. What does Concacaf do, let’s host a pretty big tournament in a run down super old stadium and the field looks like a mud pit  and Concacaf want top players to play in North America….

4 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Nothing against the kids but in my view the overall story here is one of underperformance. Lack of funding / camps for sure but Mauro Biello Shouldn’t be indulged with any more coaching gigs. He’s had his chances.

its a culmination of a story, and a goodbye session.....

Where's the money!

We've been saving money, cutting corners with coaches doubling up on coaching gigs. A lot of us were like "hooray yippee ki yay" at the fact of Biello coaching the team, but only because it was at the expense of Peter Griffin....only to find out he's still involved. The status quo needs to change. 

I haven't been impressed with a lot of the boys, but can I blame them?
Preparation is key. This is literally my mantra for a lot of things. I preach this to my wife, and our families. 

You can have a horrible camping experience because you weren't prepared. 
You can have a horrible vacation in Cuba because you weren't prepared. 
You can have a horrible test result because you weren't prepared. 

Like this tournament, we'll likely see the ones who qualify for the U20WC & the Olympics are the ones who were well prepared.

Very simple. 

Preparation.
Is.
Key,

If wikipedia is correct, if we win our next game, we will play the quarter final on the (presumably) much fresher pitch at Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano. Which sounds great, except the game is almost certainly going to be against Mexico, so probably a terrible field would be better for us in that game.

That being said, I don't have much confidence in us winning our R16 match, probably against Guatemala or Panama.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

If wikipedia is correct, if we win our next game, we will play the quarter final on the (presumably) much fresher pitch at Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano. Which sounds great, except the game is almost certainly going to be against Mexico, so probably a terrible field would be better for us in that game.

That being said, I don't have much confidence in us winning our R16 match, probably against Guatemala or Panama.

If it's against Guatemala, I'll still be expecting the win, even though we've been very underwhelming. It's a huge long shot to expect to beat Mexico though. So frustrating that we've put ourselves in this position. 

34 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Nothing against the kids but in my view the overall story here is one of underperformance. Lack of funding / camps for sure but Mauro Biello Shouldn’t be indulged with any more coaching gigs. He’s had his chances.

Lol he will be in Qatar 

I'll preface what I'm about to say with of course we'd all rather a full time competent coach be employed at all youth levels. It's obviously Biello has his value in the program, people talk about how important he is in speaking with players, but it's evident between U23 and now U20 he should not be a head coach of anything. However, if Canada Soccer continues to cite cost saving and just send in a coach last minute for the tournaments, I wonder if they could look into following a model similar to what Hockey Canada does with World Juniors and more or less just selecting a CHL coach who's successful at the time to run the junior program for that cycle.

I think the idea of letting a Pa-Modou Kah (obviously he's unlikely now) or a Bobby Smyrniotis run our singular camp and tournament. Obviously I understand CPL hasn't stopped playing etc etc, I haven't thought through the logistics, just spitballing an idea

I don't think I mind a guy who is part of the NT staff to be the u20 manager per se. I know that Herdman wants alignment of principles throughout the youth teams and senior team, so we're not gonna get someone who is disconnected from the senior staff to manage the youth squad. Using a senior assistant to manage the u20s can work as a "cost saving" (if it actually would be a cost saving, idk) but I would want their main priority to be the u20s -- they can help run drills with the seniors when they're the only ones playing and consult with senior staff, sure, but day to day I would want them to be scouting and prepping the u20 team.

All that being said, I think Biello has run his course as u20 manager.

The more I watch this team, the better they look. They are defending as a team VERY well. And I think they are slowly getting their confidence when attacking. I don't feel like they will win this tournament or even get to the final but, I think they will win their next match and I expect a close one with Mexico in the quarters - hoping for the best!

Let's go boys!

2 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

The more I watch this team, the better they look. They are defending as a team VERY well. And I think they are slowly getting their confidence when attacking. I don't feel like they will win this tournament or even get to the final but, I think they will win their next match and I expect a close one with Mexico in the quarters - hoping for the best!

Let's go boys!

Now here’s a positive message to get you going.

3 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I'll preface what I'm about to say with of course we'd all rather a full time competent coach be employed at all youth levels. It's obviously Biello has his value in the program, people talk about how important he is in speaking with players, but it's evident between U23 and now U20 he should not be a head coach of anything. However, 

I think the idea of letting a Pa-Modou Kah (obviously he's unlikely now) or a Bobby Smyrniotis run our singular camp and tournament. Obviously I understand CPL hasn't stopped playing etc etc, I haven't thought through the logistics, just spitballing an idea

Pretty sure both these guys would see the Canadian U20 team as a step backwards.

Kah is rumoured to be interviewing for the San Jose job, by the way.

5 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I'll preface what I'm about to say with of course we'd all rather a full time competent coach be employed at all youth levels. It's obviously Biello has his value in the program, people talk about how important he is in speaking with players, but it's evident between U23 and now U20 he should not be a head coach of anything. However, if Canada Soccer continues to cite cost saving and just send in a coach last minute for the tournaments, I wonder if they could look into following a model similar to what Hockey Canada does with World Juniors and more or less just selecting a CHL coach who's successful at the time to run the junior program for that cycle.

I think the hockey Canada equivalent would translate to a L1O or PLSQ coach running the team. I can't name any these days, but there's got to be someone that's pretty good. Who coaches Blainville?

4 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

Let's go boys!

For me yesterday I almost couldn't watch anymore yesterday. It was so maddening, I was getting super frustrated, and literally looking through my fingers. Pass across the back line, get it to someone a bit further ahead, then despite being able to turn forwards just as easily as being able to turn backwards, the player would ALWAYS turn backwards and pass it back. Then repeat by passing along the back in the other direction. The repetition I was sure was going to keep me up at night (luckily I got drunk and watched a better soccer game to help me get past it).

The way we were playing yesterday, at least until the first goal reminded me of that Will Ferrell basketball movie. The scene where he would post up and call for the ball and then immediately just pass it back and then ask for it again, over, and over, and over again.