2021 Canadian Premier League Attendance

17 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The shorter season means it is still not much more than home and away against all the other teams. CanPL needs 4 games against the other 7 teams for a balanced 28 game schedule and that starts to feel like Groundhog Day after a while.

Yeah, I thought about highlighting that, but I figured it didn't really matter since my other example was a 6 team league with a 70 game season for 18 seasons.

6 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Um, is 5% of Winnipeg well more than you need for a sell-out lol?

OK, clearly you have no idea how sales and marketing works. You are only ever going to sell to a small percentage of the people who are aware of your existence. If you start with 5% of the population being aware of your "product" you can expect (in the case of soccer anyway) to maybe sell a ticket to a small percentage of them.

This is why the CanPL is working so hard to get recognition. As many have mentioned, and I have experienced, in CanPL cities there are people who watch soccer regularly from Europe who have no idea there is a CanPL and/or what their local team may be.

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Sure, I’ll bring some to the game tomorrow. Maybe it will help with your irritatingly condescending posts of late. Yes, by the time Valour, or any other CPL team, earns a game against the likes of America, I would expect the fans to have learned about them if they haven’t already. Honestly, they’re giants compared to CPL teams at this stage. I’d be thrilled if they came to the island and it’s not like the game would come out of the blue. We’d likely be deep into the competition 

Edit: none of the people I brought on Thursday new much about the Whitecaps beforehand, but they knew it was an event because we were playing a bigger team. They learned 

WTF are you changing the goalposts?!?  You said people in Winnipeg should already know about Club America and I pointed out that that simply is not true. Of course they can be educated and yes, if we were up against them here in Victoria in the Champions League the mainstream media would pick it up and people would get excited. That is how marketing works.

What you said was that somehow if Club America was to come to Winnipeg next week the game would sell out a large stadium and I don't think your are correct. I base my opinion on reality and experience, sorry if that comes across as "irritatingly condescending".

Look forward to sharing at the tailgate tomorrow where you can explain to me how I am wrong. :)

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, I thought about highlighting that, but I figured it didn't really matter since my other example was a 6 team league with a 70 game season for 18 seasons.

...who now have 32 teams and expanded quickly from the 1960s onwards after air travel replaced cross-border express trains as the mode of transport to away games.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

9 hours ago, ted said:

WTF are you changing the goalposts?!?  You said people in Winnipeg should already know about Club America and I pointed out that that simply is not true. Of course they can be educated and yes, if we were up against them here in Victoria in the Champions League the mainstream media would pick it up and people would get excited. That is how marketing works.

What you said was that somehow if Club America was to come to Winnipeg next week the game would sell out a large stadium and I don't think your are correct. I base my opinion on reality and experience, sorry if that comes across as "irritatingly condescending".

The condescension comes from laughing at the comment and suggesting that I must be on drugs to have my opinion, which you’re still massively misportraying. I argued that a jump in attendance for a game against America wouldn’t necessarily need to come from Mexican fans alone, because average sports fans would likely get more excited about playing a giant of the region and competing in latter stages of CCL. I didn’t say any of the things you’ve suggested. Tell me, does reality and experience tell you that CCL matchups against Mexican opposition draw poorly in Canada, because I seem to recall some of those games in Montreal, and Toronto setting attendance records.

Edited by Aird25

28 minutes ago, narduch said:

Canadian soccer fans seem to be pretty savvy when it comes to avoiding over-priced friendlies involving foreign club teams.

They basically stopped doing them in Toronto because the attendances were sad.

Also I think people stopped going to these friendlies because they meant nothing just an over priced exhibition game , and I noticed they stopped going once TFC came into existence. Before TFC people in Toronto where starved for any type of decent level soccer . So these exhibition games were getting good crowds , once TFC came around I think people were like why spend more money on a meaningless exhibition game when I’m already spending money on TFC and at least it means something they are playing meaningful games. Why go watch a game that means nothing , yes I get to see some quality players but I’m going to spend big bucks for a game that means nothing . 

9 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Also I think people stopped going to these friendlies because they meant nothing just an over priced exhibition game , and I noticed they stopped going once TFC came into existence. Before TFC people in Toronto where starved for any type of decent level soccer . So these exhibition games were getting good crowds , once TFC came around I think people were like why spend more money on a meaningless exhibition game when I’m already spending money on TFC and at least it means something they are playing meaningful games. Why go watch a game that means nothing , yes I get to see some quality players but I’m going to spend big bucks for a game that means nothing . 

So what you're saying is that those games mean nothing?😉

^^^a case of projecting his own divisive tribalism onto somebody who wants both leagues to succeed and work closely together to help ensure that outcome. The appropriate subforum is at the url below and there is nothing stopping anybody who is interested in the topic from starting an MLS attendance thread there:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/forum/22-major-league-soccer/

Meanwhile back on topic, 2621 announced for Pacific vs Valour:

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/biun3bptgp2xvomjrh73s26ms/highlights

No number provided for Ottawa vs Halifax:

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/bip4t3miw9g98ofigki2jogt0/highlights

On 8/29/2021 at 6:33 AM, Aird25 said:

The condescension comes from laughing at the comment and suggesting that I must be on drugs to have my opinion, which you’re still massively misportraying. 

<sigh> Once again we come up against tone and expectations differences.

I am here having the online-equivalent of a chat in the pub with friends. Laughing and friendly banter is being seen by you as harsh and mocking dickishness. I am sorry if I misunderstood the point you were trying to make which could have been easily corrected in person. Come join us for a beer at the tailgate next game and tell me how wrong I am. That's half the fun of being a supporter, arguing about shit that doesn't really matter.

4 minutes ago, ted said:

<sigh> Once again we come up against tone and expectations differences.

I am here having the online-equivalent of a chat in the pub with friends. Laughing and friendly banter is being seen by you as harsh and mocking dickishness. I am sorry if I misunderstood the point you were trying to make which could have been easily corrected in person. Come join us for a beer at the tailgate next game and tell me how wrong I am. That's half the fun of being a supporter, arguing about shit that doesn't really matter.

Ok, clearly you don't understand how the internet works...

White Goodman Reaction GIF

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

On 8/28/2021 at 2:10 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think having vast sections of empty seats as a backdrop winds up saying the exact opposite and the whole obsession with doing things to be perceived as "first division" is something CanPL very much needs to lose along with other year one blunders like having no playoffs and hence making most of the fall season meaningless in a competitive sense because some bright spark thought fans in Canada had a problem with MLS doing things that way. The focus should be on operating at a level that's actually sustainable that can take pro soccer into 16+ Canadian cities from coast to coast.

It seems to me that using stadiums they already control and operate is is more sustainable than renting or building something different. 

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers accounts for next season will be the litmus test for that assertion. In the 2019 accounts the Valour was paying a sizable amount of money as a management fee to the Winnipeg Football Club for operating out of the CFL stadium as well as receiving money back related to the proceeds of gameday revenues. A community-owned gridiron team is probably looking to make money out of pro soccer rather than subsidize it. Beyond that it's not clear that the scenario you are describing is applicable to Ottawa given the Atletico Madrid angle.