Keeper depth chart?

I looked for a thread about this but couldn’t find one so apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.  I am wondering what our keeper pool looks like and to get a sense of where people think they might rank.   I see names tossed around but I really have no barometer to compare them once you get past the top 3 or so (mind you, Pantemis just showed what he could do in OQ - but I still don’t know how he compares to his peers).  

Borjan (33)

Crepeau (26) 

St. Clair (23)

Pantemis (24)

DesJardins (21)

I know there are some other popular young guns that I can’t remember off the top of my head so curious who else realistically has a shot at contributing to the senior team in the next 4 or 5 years (ie. in the buildup to 2026) and where they might rank relative to the others.  I am not really ranking them - though Milan is the obvious #1 until he is dethroned.  The rest may vary.  I also tossed in their age just for interest.  

So, the revised list would be:

Borjan (33) - starter, Red Star Belgrade (Serbian Superliga)

Crepeau (26) - starter, Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS)

St. Clair (23) - starter?, Minnesota United (MLS)

Breza (23) - backup, Bologna (Serie A)

Hasal (21) backup, Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS)

Pantemis (24) - backup?, CF Montreal (MLS)

DesJardins (21) - starter, Novara (Serie C)

Carducci (24) - starter, Cavalry FC (CPL)

Matthew Nogueira (23) - ?, Maritimo B, (Campeonato de Portugal)

Busti (20) - ?, Vado (Serie D)

Milli (20) - ?, Lecce (Serie D?)

Bursac (19) - backup, FK TSC Bačka Topola  (Serbian Superliga)

I am removing these two guys because I just don’t see them having any impact due to age.   I suppose in an emergency you could call Leutwiler up, but I think we would go with the young guys in most cases   

Leutwiler (31) - starter, Huddersfield (Championship)

Viscosi (30) - ?, Dalkurd FF (Swedish Suprettan)

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So, the revised list would be:

I am removing these two guys because I just don’t see them having any impact due to age.   I suppose in an emergency you could call Leutwiler up, but I think we would go with the young guys in most cases   

Leutwiler (31) - starter, Huddersfield (Championship)

Viscosi (30) - ?, Dalkurd FF (Swedish Suprettan)

I have Breza pretty firmly lower... he's 4th at Bologna, and I think he'll be 3rd in Montreal. I wouldn't remove Leutwiler, because he's still likely to get a few more calls as a 3rd option imo. 

5 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I have Breza pretty firmly lower... he's 4th at Bologna, and I think he'll be 3rd in Montreal. I wouldn't remove Leutwiler, because he's still likely to get a few more calls as a 3rd option imo. 

I am really fishing for input as opposed to asserting a firm order.  

59 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If we had a WCQ and Borjan was injured I would definitely be calling Leutwiler to join St Clair and Crepeau. Who else would it be? If not him we would be calling 3 young and inexperienced keepers. 

In that scenario we would only be calling 1 young keeper - as our 3rd.  In that scenario, I do wonder if someone like Hasal would be ok.  But point taken that he could come into play if he is the 4th choice. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

8 hours ago, gator said:

No matter how you want to rank the current keepers I think it's fair to say it is a position that is not worrisome for us, we have decent depth and a mix of experience and up and coming younger players, I would not be in a panic if Borjan was not available!

I'd say we are on the cusp of me not worrying about the position.

However, I can easily imagine a scenario where Borjan retires from the NT, and another starter gets injured. 

It doesn't take much for a GK to pick up a knock or fall out of favour with a coach, and then we might be back to relying on backups and reserves again. Most of us have long memories on this forum. Too long, at least, to feel too comfortable, that is.

So would this top 6 or 7 be roughly accurate in terms of rank order?  After that I have no idea who would rank where.

Leutwiler (31) - starter, Huddersfield (Championship

Matthew Nogueira (23) - ?, Maritimo B, (Campeonato de Portugal)

Curcija (19) - ?, Le Havre (Ligue 2)

Commisso (18) - ?, Roccella (Serie D)

6 hours ago, nolando said:

However, I can easily imagine a scenario where Borjan retires from the NT, and another starter gets injured. 

It doesn't take much for a GK to pick up a knock or fall out of favour with a coach, and then we might be back to relying on backups and reserves again. Most of us have long memories on this forum. Too long, at least, to feel too comfortable, that is.

I don’t know.  Hasal impressed last year for Vancouver and he is 5th the way I have ranked them.  That is pretty good depth - and not a position I am too worried about.  It would take some pretty catastrophic circumstances to go any deeper on the chart for a senior team game that mattered.  

7 hours ago, nolando said:

I completely understand what you are saying nolando about not feeling comfortable, those of us who have been long time MNT supporters have seen things go terribly wrong! I just think in this position however we should be ok, even if we had to start our 3rd or possibly 4th choice keeper, I would be quite comfortable with St. Clair or Leutwiler between the sticks if it came down to it, heck St. Clair could be our #1 in the not too distant future!

44 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I don't think Leutwiler is a starter for Huddersfield, is he?  I thought he was #2 or 3.  I would have Hasal and Pantemis ahead of him.

He isn't. They play a 19 year old England youth keeper. Who often has bad ratings when I check their scores.

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So would this top 6 or 7 be roughly accurate in terms of rank order?  After that I have no idea who would rank where.

Leutwiler (31) - starter, Huddersfield (Championship

Matthew Nogueira (23) - ?, Maritimo B, (Campeonato de Portugal)

Curcija (19) - ?, Le Havre (Ligue 2)

Commisso (18) - ?, Roccella (Serie D)

I don’t know.  Hasal impressed last year for Vancouver and he is 5th the way I have ranked them.  That is pretty good depth - and not a position I am too worried about.  It would take some pretty catastrophic circumstances to go any deeper on the chart for a senior team game that mattered.  

St. Clair has to be a starter for Minnesota after the season he had it’s basically his to lose .

I know he is fairly low down but in the event that our top 6 keepers get injured at the same time, I'd imagine Simon Thomas would get a call before a lot of these young Serie D keepers. I get that he's 30 now, but he's still kicking around in the first division of Norway.

I also am not so sure that just because a keeper is playing abroad, they deserve to be placed above a CPL starter.

My list would go

Clear top 3:

Borjan

Crepeau

St. Clair

Camp Poutine/or Injury Callups:

Leutwiler

Carducci

Pantemis

Hasal

Thomas

Irving

Oxner

Breza

Henry

Nogueira

Desjardins

9 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I know he is fairly low down but in the event that our top 6 keepers get injured at the same time, I'd imagine Simon Thomas would get a call before a lot of these young Serie D keepers. I get that he's 30 now, but he's still kicking around in the first division of Norway.

I also am not so sure that just because a keeper is playing abroad, they deserve to be placed above a CPL starter.

Simon Thomas has been without a club since January.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he is still without a club.

I am not so sure that just because a keeper is playing in the CPL, they deserve to be placed above a keeper playing abroad.  ;)

Keepers who are playing abroad (and not in the CPL) generally have close to year round training, and more matches than keepers in the CPL.  Hopefully that changes in the future with regards to the CPL.  

5 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

St Clair should have been capped these last 2 games ....if Busti was cap worthy at the time based on body of work - then DSC is 5x worthy on the same scale 

I definitely wouldn’t have been disappointed to see St Clair get the start against CI.  But I suspect that Herdman both has a sense of St Clair’s commitment and was trying to respect the “seniority” that Crepeau has in the program.