Keeper depth chart?

8 hours ago, Ivan said:

I don't think Leutwiler is a starter for Huddersfield, is he?  I thought he was #2 or 3.  I would have Hasal and Pantemis ahead of him.

I was just going to say Leutwiler hasn't played a single minute in the Championship this season. He generally hasn't played much the last few seasons. I'd take Pantemis as well if Borjan is missing since he's the "veteran" among the kids if that makes sense.

18 hours ago, gigi riva said:

My top three are 

Borjan,

ST Clair.

Crepeau.

on the rise I say   Hasal, and Pantemis

I think that’s pretty clearly the top 3 right now, with Crepeau arguably above DSC, in the mind of Herdman at least. Will be interesting to see what happens with Crepeau/Hasal

10 hours ago, archer21 said:

I think that’s pretty clearly the top 3 right now, with Crepeau arguably above DSC, in the mind of Herdman at least. Will be interesting to see what happens with Crepeau/Hasal

The reason I have St Clair slightly ahead of Crepeau is that Crepeau due to injury bearely played last year and St Clair played plenty

I'm very much on board with Borjan getting overtaken sooner or later. He always has one big mistake in him. All we need is for that to hit us hard against a bigger team.

Love his service to Canada but his years beating up on smaller Serbian teams and then getting rolled over in the Champion's League doesn't fill me with confidence that he's in a challenging environment, not like it did 2-3 years ago.

On 4/4/2021 at 2:14 PM, Buchta said:

Simon Thomas has been without a club since January.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he is still without a club.

I am not so sure that just because a keeper is playing in the CPL, they deserve to be placed above a keeper playing abroad.  ;)

Keepers who are playing abroad (and not in the CPL) generally have close to year round training, and more matches than keepers in the CPL.  Hopefully that changes in the future with regards to the CPL.  

fair enough about Thomas. I just imagine that in dire needs he’d get the call over a young keeper who’s never been in a senior camp. Although I don’t truly think we’ll ever be that desperate to call so far down the depth chart. 

The CPL sentiment was more so comparing to the Serie D keepers who have never been to a camp being listed above guys like Carducci, Irving, Oxner. 

I’m not suggesting they deserve a call up just because of their allegiance to a CPL club, but this forum has an affinity with players in Europe at levels of play they’ve never even watched. I’m pretty confident there are several CPL guys higher in Herdman’s list than  an Aldo Commisso. 

Edited by Pottsy3

15 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

fair enough about Thomas. I just imagine that in dire needs he’d get the call over a young keeper who’s never been in a senior camp. Although I don’t truly think we’ll ever be that desperate to call so far down the depth chart. 

The CPL sentiment was more so comparing to the Serie D keepers who have never been to a camp being listed above guys like Carducci, Irving, Oxner. 

I was not comparing Serie D and the CPL.  I never said Serie D players should be called up, only that they exist and are playing. That is all ;)

40 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I really really hope The CSA can put together some youth games so we can showcase and give more opportunities to likes of Hasal, Busti and Desjardins. It shame we don’t play more youth games. 

With the youth world cups cancelled this year and the border pretty much still closed, I wouldn't hold my breath on this one

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I really really hope The CSA can put together some youth games so we can showcase and give more opportunities to likes of Hasal, Busti and Desjardins. It shame we don’t play more youth games. 

I am not sure of the status of Busti with his club.  I do not think he has been in the game day roster for months.

• 1 year later...

Since we have depth chart threads for other positions going strong, might as well bump this one

On 2/26/2023 at 2:16 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Who is our 3rd choice keeper for the March window?

On 2/26/2023 at 5:44 AM, narduch said:

Sirois if he starts and does well?

How long is Pantemis out for?

Funny how quick depth can dissappear. 

Hasal lost his starting job.

Crepeau is hurt.

Leutwiler has fallen off the face of the earth. 

Breza is in Serie C

- Borjan

- St. Clair

Do we have a clear third choice?

All our CanPL guys are somewhat out of season, although match fitness is different for keepers.

18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Since we have depth chart threads for other positions going strong, might as well bump this one

- Borjan

- St. Clair

Do we have a clear third choice?

All our CanPL guys are somewhat out of season, although match fitness is different for keepers.

My guess is Hasal gets called as the #3 for now.

Its pretty rare for a #3 to be used by a National Team.

Sirois would have an outside shot if he does decently in the next few weeks though.

3rd GK has to be Sirois for March, I think Hasal is a better GK than Sirois but you have to call a guy who’s actually playing. Honestly I think Hasal is quite good and to be solid MLS starter at 22 is really impressive and think he’ll have a strong and long career playing in the MLS, Im not a Vancouver fan but honestly thought them going for a new keeper was stupid and kinda disrespectful to Hasal but hopefully he can earn the spot back. I think if somehow Sirois and Hasal  can’t go I would go to Goodman, Odunze or McGill. 

IMO this is the current depth chart for GKs (excluding injuries)

1.Borjan

2.St.Clair

3.Crepau

4.Pantemis

5.Sirois

6.Hasal

7.Breza

8.Goodman

9.Mcgill

10.Odunze

33 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Honestly I think Hasal is quite good and to be solid MLS starter at 22 is really impressive

33 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Im not a Vancouver fan but honestly thought them going for a new keeper was stupid and kinda disrespectful to Hasal but hopefully he can earn the spot back

https://fbref.com/en/players/86bac87b/Thomas-Hasal

hasal is nowhere near a solid MLS starter. hasal's shot-shopping numbers were bottom 20% in MLS, his difference between xGA-GA was in the bottom 10% in MLS, he's just not very good (but still looks like courtois compared to cody cropper or sebastian breza). very small sample size but isaac boehmer probably has a higher ceiling at this point honestly, let alone takaoka who was a best XI keeper in the j-league

Edited by saladroit

51 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

I'm not a Vancouver fan but honestly thought them going for a new keeper was stupid and kinda disrespectful to Hasal but hopefully he can earn the spot back.

Takaoka will be given a lot of slack and will really have to sh*t the bed before losing his regular starting spot.

There was a report via local media that Hasal might get a loan out and I would support that.  Regardless of the prospects or promise of more fixtures via CCL and Leagues Cup, I don't think he can get enough starts to really hone his game.  He is certainly still a ways from being the finished article but he needs those regular starts to show what if he can grow.

3 hours ago, saladroit said:

https://fbref.com/en/players/86bac87b/Thomas-Hasal

hasal is nowhere near a solid MLS starter. hasal's shot-shopping numbers were bottom 20% in MLS, his difference between xGA-GA was in the bottom 10% in MLS, he's just not very good (but still looks like courtois compared to cody cropper or sebastian breza). very small sample size but isaac boehmer probably has a higher ceiling at this point honestly, let alone takaoka who was a best XI keeper in the j-league

I haven't watched a lot of him and can't argue with the numbers but I thought when he first started with the Whitecaps 2 or 3 years back, his shot stopping was his strength.  Am i misremembering that? The reason I raise it is if that was the case, that perhaps last year's figures are more related to a loss of confidence which could easily rebound if loaned out and given regular playing time.

13 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

3rd GK has to be Sirois for March, I think Hasal is a better GK than Sirois but you have to call a guy who’s actually playing. Honestly I think Hasal is quite good and to be solid MLS starter at 22 is really impressive and think he’ll have a strong and long career playing in the MLS, Im not a Vancouver fan but honestly thought them going for a new keeper was stupid and kinda disrespectful to Hasal but hopefully he can earn the spot back. I think if somehow Sirois and Hasal  can’t go I would go to Goodman, Odunze or McGill. 

1.Borjan

2.St.Clair

3.Crepau

4.Pantemis

5.Sirois

6.Hasal

7.Breza

8.Goodman

9.Mcgill

10.Odunze

I was going to mention this as well. I would go withe Goodman as the 3rd choice. I am not sure who Crystal Palace rated higher between him and their other young keeper Whitworth. Whitworth is also 19 and has frequently been the backup in the Premier League, while Goodman is the same age and starting for the u21s.

13 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

1.Borjan

2.St.Clair

3.Crepau

4.Pantemis

5.Sirois

6.Hasal

7.Breza

8.Goodman

9.Mcgill

10.Odunze

Sirois lost his spot to a newcomer in CPL so a bit of caution with him.

What I'm seeing is how thin we actually are in terms of depth.

Lastly, Carducci should be on that list having been called up before