COQ | Match Thread: Canada U24 vs Honduras U24 | March 25 @ 10:00pm Eastern 7:00pm Pacific

The match is obviously on One Soccer right after WCQ.  10:00pm Eastern / 7:00pm Pacific

Honduras 4 points +3GD
Canada 4 points +2GD
El Savador 1 point -2GD
Haiti 1 point -3GD

If we beat Honduras, we would play the USA.

If we draw Honduras, we would play Mexico.

If we lose to Honduras, we might play Mexico but we might also get eliminated. The result of El Salvador vs Haiti would come into play.

As others prediced, the Haiti Game 1 fiasco comes back to bite us in the ass on goal difference. Because of course it does. It's CONCACAF!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The match is obviously on One Soccer right after WCQ.  10:00pm Eastern / 7:00pm Pacific

Honduras 4 points +3GD
Canada 4 points +2GD
El Savador 1 point -2GD
Haiti 1 point -3GD

If we beat Honduras, we would play the loser of Mexico vs USA. (Or in the case of a Mexico vs USA draw, the USA).

If we draw Honduras, we would play the loser of Mexico vs USA. (Or in the case of a Mexico vs USA draw, Mexico).

If we lose to Honduras, we might play the loser of Mexico vs USA. (Or in the case of a Mexico vs USA draw, Mexico). We might also get eliminated; the result of El Salvador vs Haiti would come into play.

As others prediced, the Haiti Game 1 fiasco comes back to bite us in the ass on goal difference. Because of course it does. It's CONCACAF!

Well I guess Honduras can’t be pleased with their result.

16 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Honduras 4 points +3GD
Canada 4 points +2GD
El Savador 1 point -2GD
Haiti 1 point -3GD

If we beat Honduras, we would play the loser of Mexico vs USA. (Or in the case of a Mexico vs USA draw, the USA).

If we draw Honduras, we would play the loser of Mexico vs USA. (Or in the case of a Mexico vs USA draw, Mexico).

If we lose to Honduras, we might play the loser of Mexico vs USA. (Or in the case of a Mexico vs USA draw, Mexico). We might also get eliminated; the result of El Salvador vs Haiti would come into play.

If we draw Honduras we play the winner of Mexico/US, no?   They would still be ahead on goal differential.  

If the US wins we best have a plan on resting players especially those on a yellow, Biello needs to have 2 different lineups picked and use the weakest if the US was to win the group, this could become farcical and it won't be like West Germany vs Austria, you will have 2 teams preferring to lose the match, well a draw would be just as good for us in this scenario! 

18 minutes ago, gator said:

If the US wins we best have a plan on resting players especially those on a yellow, Biello needs to have 2 different lineups picked and use the weakest if the US was to win the group, this could become farcical and it won't be like West Germany vs Austria, you will have 2 teams preferring to lose the match, well a draw would be just as good for us in this scenario! 

ultimately the goal is to qualify, so I'm all for doing whatever will make that path the easiest... the prospect of having to beat Mexico, in Mexico, to qualify is not a realistic one.

21 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

ultimately the goal is to qualify, so I'm all for doing whatever will make that path the easiest... the prospect of having to beat Mexico, in Mexico, to qualify is not a realistic one.

Agreed...I prefer the US 9x out of 10.
The match between USA and Mexico will be very interesting..... I’ve it’s a complete dominance by the USA...I might want that 1x lol.

26 minutes ago, One American said:

Do the teams play for a draw so they both advance? Or do the teams try to avoid Mexico? 

I’m going to mimic what some others have said in the group; we play to win vs Honduras regardless on who’s waiting for us in the SF. Mexico or USA i do not care, both are going to be tough tests. 2W 1D 0L and top of our group sounds pretty successful to me!!!

26 minutes ago, One American said:

Do the teams play for a draw so they both advance? Or do the teams try to avoid Mexico? 

I’d try to avoid Mexico. Can’t play to lose (if Mexico finish 2nd) though if ES or Haiti win by a couple goals though because then you’re risking not even making the semis.

4 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

If it eases the group here, LD noted that Mauro consistently mentioned today to the squad that he wants the team to finish the group stage with a clean sheet and a convincing W on Thursday. The coaching staff haven't talked about Mexico or USA once.

So I suppose we should expect full effort on Thursday.

Your nephew brought a different dynamic when he came on. Im hoping he gets the start

10 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

I hope so too. They were worried about the yellow he got game 1 and if Haiti would of baited fouls early in the game. 

He's my cousin's kid. So Lucas would be my cousin. 

In a complete aside....in Indian culture, your first cousin's kids are still considered your nieces and nephews, not your second cousins. In fact, there's no specific word for cousin in Punjabi. You refer to your cousins as your brothers and sisters, and would follow up by explaining who their parents are if the relationship needed further clarification. I have 45 first cousins and most have kids who refer to me by my appropriate, avuncular title.

23 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

I hope so too. They were worried about the yellow he got game 1 and if Haiti would of baited fouls early in the game. 

He's my cousin's kid. So Lucas would be my cousin. 

K got it. I felt like Haiti were playing a flat back and he was our first player who started running at people thru the midfield and pulling defenders towards our midfield which created pockets for our forwards

Edited by SpursFlu

6 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I’m going to mimic what some others have said in the group; we play to win vs Honduras regardless on who’s waiting for us in the SF. Mexico or USA i do not care, both are going to be tough tests. 2W 1D 0L and top of our group sounds pretty successful to me!!!

lol, speak for yourself, winning the group will ultimately mean nothing if we run into the brick wall that Mexico is during this tournament (this is moot cause I don't see the USA beating Mexico, there's a clear gap in quality between the teams)

Edited by LeoH037

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

In a complete aside....in Indian culture, your first cousin's kids are still considered your nieces and nephews, not your second cousins. In fact, there's no specific word for cousin in Punjabi. You refer to your cousins as your brothers and sisters, and would follow up by explaining who their parents are if the relationship needed further clarification. I have 45 first cousins and most have kids who refer to me by my appropriate, avuncular title.

Forgive the further aside, but in Chinese culture it's the exact opposite. Every aunt/uncle has a different title based on whether they are older or younger, if it's a sibling of your mom or dad, and even which order they were born. I was 32 years old when I realized that my aunt's name wasn't '5-aunt', and that's only because a 25 year old said that he had just figured out that *his* aunt's name wasn't '4-aunt'. It's so confusing, I don't even know what my nephew is supposed to call me or my wife.

1 hour ago, maplebanana said:

Forgive the further aside, but in Chinese culture it's the exact opposite. Every aunt/uncle has a different title based on whether they are older or younger, if it's a sibling of your mom or dad, and even which order they were born. I was 32 years old when I realized that my aunt's name wasn't '5-aunt', and that's only because a 25 year old said that he had just figured out that *his* aunt's name wasn't '4-aunt'. It's so confusing, I don't even know what my nephew is supposed to call me or my wife.

Oh, we've got that, too! There are 5 different titles for uncle, and 5 for aunt, depending on the paternal or maternal relation, or if their related by blood or marriage.