COQ | Match Thread: Canada U24 vs Honduras U24 | March 25 @ 10:00pm Eastern 7:00pm Pacific

7 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Oh crap.  I thought it was all snowmobiles and hunting.  Didn't think there was anyone else the knew what soccer was.

(Arnprior FWIW).

In fairness, when I lived in the Ottawa Valley, I hated soccer. It took a trip to Australia that happened to be during the Australia-Uruguay inter-confederation WCQ matches in 2005 to change that.

Also, Deep River is like 90% snowmobiles and hunting, but the other 10% is nuclear physics research. It's a very odd place to grow up.

4 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

I don't know, I just hope it's not what I've been told. Aka hopefully they change it based on results prior to the game. 

Right now a 10 will start but it will be played by someone noone would suspect.  

Edit: please don't go spiraling on the forum lol I think they still intend to win?

The only two that have looked capable of playing the 10 role at this tournament are Dias and Tabla.  No one else has looked comfortable or creative distribution wise.

13 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Oh crap.  I thought it was all snowmobiles and hunting.  Didn't think there was anyone else the knew what soccer was.

(Arnprior FWIW).

Spent some time in Arnprior, and when I told people my name, inevitably they said, "so you must be related to (people with my last name).  So, I don't doubt your initial claim.

It’s the historic game day!!!

I hope @JasonDiasis talking out of his ass, and we don’t see a shock for a must win game.

I would revert back to game 1’s lineup and only change Daniels for Dias. But since it might not be him...I’ll assume it will be Raposo. I won’t be surprised to see Tajoninho in that role either. 

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Yeah, I hope he heard wrong.  I'd like to see Buchanon, Dias and Tabla start behind a centre forward (Bair or Brym, although neither has impressed me).  I like Baldisimo and Metcalfe in CM.

I know a number of posters here are down on Brym but he has shown better work rate than Bair and we will need it against this particular opponent, especially if we want to press more.  Bair (and Raposo) are guys I would bring off the bench in the latter stages.  

I thought Haiti were able to open it up more when we were just left with Baldi and Metcalfe manning the middle for a significant second half stretch. I am a little concerned there for this game and the semi.

12 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I know a number of posters here are down on Brym but he has shown better work rate than Bair and we will need it against this particular opponent, especially if we want to press more.

In addition to a better work rate, I think Brym has a certain guile inside the box that Bair doesn't have, which makes him dangerous. The play last game where he was looking for the contact in the box comes to mind. Furthermore, he seems to be more willing or able to interchange with the wide forwards. He's my choice to start this game. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

In addition to a better work rate, I think Brym has a certain guile inside the box that Bair doesn't have, which makes him dangerous. The play last game where he was looking for the contact in the box comes to mind. Furthermore, he seems to be more willing or able to interchange with the wide forwards. He's my choice to start this game. 

1000% agree. Bair is just a pure target striker for me (although he's been disappointing, I'll chuck it up to be out of shape/form)

I said before, I would start the same way we started in game 1. The only change I would make is Dias for Daniels. 

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He is also in midseason fitness form compared to many of the other starters.  I felt that he, Buchanan, and Tabla had a bit more movement and interchange up top (albeit against an opponent with a different tactical mindset).  

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

1000% agree. Bair is just a pure target striker for me (although he's been disappointing, I'll chuck it up to be out of shape/form)

But he doesn't play like a target striker.  If anything, he likes to play in a second forward role with a guy in front of him doing the target work.  He's a big body guy who likes to play a smaller man's finesse game. 

Because he's not at peak fitness, a sub role is best for him (and us). 

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

But he doesn't play like a target striker.  If anything, he likes to play in a second forward role with a guy in front of him doing the target work.  He's a big body guy who likes to play a smaller man's finesse game. 

Because he's not at peak fitness, a sub role is best for him (and us). 

Last game especially Bair looked gassed after 20 minutes. Even at peak fitness you're right he just doesn't use his body to his advantage but maybe it's something he will learn 

38 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I know a number of posters here are down on Brym but he has shown better work rate than Bair and we will need it against this particular opponent, especially if we want to press more.  Bair (and Raposo) are guys I would bring off the bench in the latter stages.  

I thought Haiti were able to open it up more when we were just left with Baldi and Metcalfe manning the middle for a significant second half stretch. I am a little concerned there for this game and the semi.

Our problem was Tajon thinks he's exempt from defending and Brym and Bair were only doing it higher up. Then Tabla was put into the mix. So you are right, that left us a huge midfield hole and we luckily survived it. 

I get the sense like some that Brym has the humility to be dropped back to hold and do it right. 

And yes, I'm irked by Tajon doing prima donna stuff. 

23 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

Last game especially Bair looked gassed after 20 minutes. Even at peak fitness you're right he just doesn't use his body to his advantage but maybe it's something he will learn 

He's our best threat off the bench with his size and skillset to snatch us a goal.  His deceptive burst and ball skills can surprise tired defenders and you can't teach six foot four in aerial attacking (or defending, if needed).

48 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

You convinced me on Brym (and you would know Bair better than most of us).  Baldi and Metcalfe were nowhere near as impressive against Haiti as they were against ES, but they've shown enough to keep it going.

And why has Baldi not taken all our corners and FKs?  He's the best dead ball deliverer we have!