2021 CPL Season General News

narduch

I have been corrected by the northern futbol podcast. Citing a legal source from the team that worked on the Atletico Ottawa deal. Red Bull is working on a Can PL team in a M based city, speculation is Red Bull Montreal or Red Bull Missauga.

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

So the logic is if we all get vaccinated they'll us get back to normal.. hahaha

Sure guys.. they told you right from the start " new normal"

They'll loosen the leash a bit the summer just so people don't go mental but they'll pull the 2nd vaccinated card on yah in September and back in your cage

So maybe the CPL does a bubble as long as they fly the propaganda flag but thats the best you can expect in this country for a while

Enough with the narrative pushing. Take a timeout and refrain from these types of posts. You’re adding nothing of value to the conversation and are beginning to sound like a broken record.

10 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Enough with the narrative pushing. Take a timeout and refrain from these types of posts. You’re adding nothing of value to the conversation and are beginning to sound like a broken record.

Nothing of value yet im telling you exactly what's going to happen. Maybe you out to take a rest and the other arm chair health care experts. You don't know what your talking about. Your just repeating crap. Just sit back relax, get your silly vaccinations, pat yourself on the back like you stormed the beaches of Normandy because its all gonna play out exactly how they want it to play out regardless.

And don't tell me what to do. You might except orders but I dont

I don't think it's a given things return to normal once everyone is vaccinated. Once controls are put in place they don't tend to be revoked so easily. 2001 was a long time ago, but to this day we still go through rigerous security checks when entering stadium.

Once fans return to stadiums there will probably be some form of vaccine criteria whereby the unvaccinated are segregated into their own section or barred from attending altogether, which is not only "not normal" but also unhelpful to a league like the CPL which is in its infancy and trying to grow its fanbase.

If we're lucky all that will be required is a negative covid test, which is the most reasonable approach since the vaccine does not prevent transmission (just helps reduce symptoms) and from what I understand it is not effective at all against the variants. 

Either way, even having to get a covid test to attend a game is probably not something people are going to want to do for an event they have a lukewarm interest in anyways. I am concerned for how the CPL will manage to survive whatever this strange "new normal" will look like.

Negative tests for fans would be a waste of time and nearly useless. As you can test negative but still be sick and you won't know until a few days later.

What we really should have done is what the Atlantic provinces have done but the provinces from Quebec to the West have been failures of differing degrees.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Negative tests for fans would be a waste of time and nearly useless. As you can test negative but still be sick and you won't know until a few days later.

Very true. It's no worse than requiring proof of vaccination though, for the same reason. Sectioning off the unvaccinated is equally dumb for obvious reasons.

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Like your herd immunity BS rant from last spring.......keep repeating crap like no one will remember what you said.  

Also when he boasted about bullying a teammate for wearing a mask. It's one thing to go down the conspiracy rabbit hole as long as you're not harming others, but he's actively proud of being an asshole.

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Who has even been talking about sectioning off stadiums that way?

The aim should be to get cases to zero. Then fully open up.

I presume this would also apply to NYCFC 

https://www.wktv.com/content/news/New-York-announces-plans-for-vaccinated-unvaccinated-sections-at-outdoor-venues-574357481.html

Cases going to zero and staying there is a fantasy.

Edited by Obinna

The best chance the CPL has is for all provinces to allow butts in seats without any vaccine segregation or testing weirdness, like in Florida and Texas, but there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening, even in Alberta.

Hopefully I am wrong.

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

5 of the leagues 8 teams are in the 2 provinces with the worst covid responses. It will be months until those provinces allow large attended sporting events.

Yeah and that's if we're lucky.

Perhaps 2022 will be the year fans are allowed to return, but even then the CPL is going to have even more trouble making up lost revenue if they artificially limit capacity in any way.

I know there was a 10 year financial commitment to the league, but 2022 will be year 4/10, so unfortunately we'll be almost the halfway point by then.

They won't be able to afford to not open up fully, I am afraid.

Edited by Obinna

NY Islanders have sections for the un-vaccinated as well.

Seems like the same mistakes continue to be made with respect to the coronavirus, USA doing well in vaccinations and they go all out in throwing restrictions away instead of a steady lessening and keeping the ones that make sense. Washington state to fully open June 30, other states leading the way, 73k indoors last weekend for Canelo's boxing match with no masks for fans and no spacing, etc. US CDC says today people with vaccinations being allowed to dispense of masks and social distancing (as vaccinated still can get the virus and some still ending up in hospital).

I can predict the USA having a fourth wave in fall as summer continues with bad decisions like those. Meanwhile in Canada, NHL has progressed fine with their season and will complete, CPL has the opportunity to have limited fans outdoors in stadiums but likely some provinces will not allow it even though outdoors following protocols it should be allowed as transmission is very low outdoors when socially distanced etc like the experts have said.

Too many people on one side over restricting and some on the other side under restricting.

Globe article states 6 provinces have verbally approved back to play protocols for CFL. But Ontario & BC haven't yet. 

Lisa MacLeod, Ontario’s Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries said she expects the CFL to meet the required protocols and the August 5th start date seems do able.

But she also said having people in the stands seems ambitious but her rationale is weak. She said it depends on vax supply (shouldn't be an issue as of next month) and rapid antigen tests (which Ontario has had for a while but haven't really deployed them).

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-macleod-says-ontario-hasnt-provided-verbal-approval-of-cfls-return-to-2/?cmpid=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm having a hard time imagining any region of Canada remaining in any sort of lock down/under stern measures once the majority of the USA returns to whatever passes for normal down there.  Not suggesting such measures aren't necessary, just calling it like I see it.   I think for a lot of people Battle Fatigue is rapidly setting in and certain past policies are becoming increasingly unsustainable.   

I'm not an epidemiologist by any means, but I would *think* it makes the most sense to have restrictions loosen bit by bit rather than all at once - and only as certain first/second dose vaccination milestones and COVID case benchmarks are reached. Trying to keep everything tight as a drum probably won't work as people will get lax through the summer, but lifting everything too quickly would just set us up for yet another wave/lockdown before we're completely out of the woods. 

We're going to meet our vaccination targets little by little, so I think the extent to which restrictions are lifted should match that. 

12 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I'm having a hard time imagining any region of Canada remaining in any sort of lock down/under stern measures once the majority of the USA returns to whatever passes for normal down there.  Not suggesting such measures aren't necessary, just calling it like I see it.   I think for a lot of people Battle Fatigue is rapidly setting in and certain past policies are becoming increasingly unsustainable.   

And yet the UK, which is ahead of the US on vaccinations, is now seeing the India variant spread, and is considering more lockdowns.

Toronto has already cancelled major outdoor gatherings into September. I don't see CPL playing in front of any significant crowds in Ontario until the fall.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-cancels-major-events-for-2nd-summer-1.6026438

Edited by nfitz