2021 CPL Season General News

narduch

I think they must be looking at a Plan B, where the season starts in a PEI-type bubble, for a month or so (7 matches each) and then we shift into regular season with home games and fans in stadiums.

My logic: if we start on that May weekend that puts us back about 3 weeks in relation to the first season, or a bit more. So the schedule will be tighter, meaning more midweek matches. And probably playing into later in the season. Remember we have one more team, that would mean a longer schedule. So a bubble would allow no travel, more matches, and get at least a quarter of the season over.

You have to have a Plan B, since this projection of late May sounds right, but it can't be lock tight. We have the problem of provinces making decisions on health and not all will be on the same page. Optimistically we may be only half way into a vaccination programme, or slight less. So what do you do? Wait, indefinitely? Or move forward and then, when things really do clear, go to the original plan in late June, ensuring 10 home games each.

8 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I would expect CPL to take the NHL model, for example Atletico Ottawa would travel to Pacific FC and play Thursday/Sunday or Friday/Sunday and then stop in one of the other western cities (Wednesday/Saturday) for 2 games before returning home, at least for the first half of the season.

This is a completely different question, IMO.

Saving on travel or consolidating travel is not a specifically Covid-era concept. 

I predict that by 20 April, if they don't have the permits in place for travel, and then say at least 30% public in the smaller stadiums, they'll opt either to delay (as I see it a mistake) or go for a short bubble like last year until things clear up.

Herd immunity from the vaccine programme in Canada will only become apparent by the late summer, according to most predictions.

I think the only way the season takes place without fans this season is if some kind of organization comes with a big injection of revenue to help cover the majority of expenses. Its an election year so there will be a lot of non profits and political organizations looking to throw around a lot of big cakeola. This could act as a big lifeline for the CPL if things don't get better. Hopefully it doesn't come to that

Edited by SpursFlu

No reason to start things in a bubble imho, all clubs should be playing in their home stadiums and they should be putting a well thought out plan in place to have fans in these outdoor stadiums from the start, 30% at least.

Once there's herd immunity/more widespread vaccine available to those who choose to get it then open it up for 50-60% fan attendance.

8 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Velour and Forge can easily just open up the entire stadium to spread everyone out.

other than HFX pretty much every team could spread people out. york could put the temp stands back up if needed (not likely lol) edmonton has plenty of open seats. Ottawa can easily have 5-6k fans spread out, cavalry and pacific could probably only fit 1-2k. 

First point I like is that you could have been previously drafted when still eligible for U-Sport play in the future, can try out, get cut or decide not to accept conditions, then go back to school--and declare for a draft again. 

Second plus is that perhaps as players begin to move into CPL the soccer competitions at Canadian universities will have that extra edge, the idea that you could indeed take a step towards pro if you excel. But more draftees will have to get into the league for that to be consolidated.

A couple of familiar names, like Jackson Farmer, Thomas Gardner. Zambazis is the kid who was in Greece. Jan Pirretas is the Spanish-German who was training with Pacific before the Island Games, gone back to his school (the kid I was on the same flight on last July from BCN to YVR).

What kind of funding amount are we talking about? Would this be something Federal would step in and fill?

It is a national embarrassment and will set back Canadian Soccer substantially if we don't have 3 host cities stepping up for arguably the biggest sporting event outside the Olympics coming to Canada.  

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

What kind of funding amount are we talking about? Would this be something Federal would step in and fill?

It is a national embarrassment and will set back Canadian Soccer substantially if we don't have 3 host cities stepping up for arguably the biggest sporting event outside the Olympics coming to Canada.  

I would not expect the federal government to step in and fill the void at all.  They stay out of sporting events and don't provide funding for stadium construction and the like, as if they contributed to one stadium/arena they'd be expected to do so for all the provinces.  It's not a path they're going down.

2 hours ago, yothat2 said:

jackson farmer trialed with fc edmonton too

I know he was listed number 1 pick on the canpl website mock draft. Would make a bit of a mockery of the draft in my opinion considering he has been available for nothing and everyone has passed the first two years. He was in the Foothills team prior to season one wasn't he?

13 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't believe so.  Hockey Canada does in some manner, but it's usually left to the provinces/cities.

They are listed as funding partners here.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-canada/men/junior/2020-21/more/partners

Doesnt necessarily mean they throw big money at it though. Plus we know there is one rule for hockey and another for everyone else!

Just now, toontownman said:

They are listed as funding partners here.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-canada/men/junior/2020-21/more/partners

Doesnt necessarily mean they throw big money at it though. Plus we know there is one rule for hockey and another for everyone else!

Sure.  But so is Tourism Edmonton.  I wouldn't really consider either of them to be critical in the funding process for it.