Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

They're just playing recordings of the supporters signing. As someone who should be at bc place singing that song i find it disrespectful. They should be supporting the people of Vancouver not rubbing the situation in our face

This is one of the shitter takes I'm likely to read today. 🙄

I hate all of the manufactured fan noise, I thought it was cute when TFC had the Dichio chant going but it grew old fast, I am more interested in good field level mics to hear players and coaches and the ball being kicked and the less the announcers say the better field level sounds!

47 minutes ago, gator said:

I hate all of the manufactured fan noise, I thought it was cute when TFC had the Dichio chant going but it grew old fast, I am more interested in good field level mics to hear players and coaches and the ball being kicked and the less the announcers say the better field level sounds!

I very, very rarely listen to pbp but I wish I could just get the sounds of the match and only the highlights during broadcasts.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Of what is Manuel Veth a doctor?  Medicine? Phd academic?

He holds a PhD in History from King’s College London, and his thesis is titled: ‘Selling the People’s Game: Football’s transition from Communism to Capitalism in the Soviet Union and its Successor States.’

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

The Pyerre situation is a dandy, Glasscity says it’s near done, Veth says it’s dead. 

#TeamGlassCity

Glass City said the agents were in Salt Lake, and then had to back track and say "reports were wrong", which he did without mentioning he was the report. He's always quick to think something is done, and he's been used by agents before. It seems that everyone is still talking, just like they kept talking to Otavio for several weeks. We'll see where it goes.

I only watched the first half. A bit sloppy to concede that goal, and we could say the same about TFC's second, both unmerited, or at least preventable. 

I get the sense the Caps are a bit better this season, a bit more likely to have some possession, and to stretch out the field. The team also seems to be fairly synched, which is nice to see. Slight betterment of Caps, a bit of a drop with TFC, and that is the result.

As I say, only saw first half, thought Nelson was fairly dynamic out there.

I think there's still some struggles in the attacking 3rd, though not quite as dire as last year.  And I think they've actually controlled and retained the ball much better these first few games than they did all of last year.

If you'd told me before the season they'd take 4 of 6 points in the these first two games, I'd have taken that.  But after those two calamitous goals today, feels disappointing they didn't take all 6.

21 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think there's still some struggles in the attacking 3rd, though not quite as dire as last year.  And I think they've actually controlled and retained the ball much better these first few games than they did all of last year.

If you'd told me before the season they'd take 4 of 6 points in the these first two games, I'd have taken that.  But after those two calamitous goals today, feels disappointing they didn't take all 6.

Only one team in all of MLS has 6 points from two games, Galaxy. Who also have one of the worse goals against records so far. MLS as a parity league, not for me.

On 4/26/2021 at 8:06 PM, toontownman said:

Think the front 3 is fire. If we get a decent number 10 to add to that... me like.

Its what is behind them that is the worry and difference between the best teams. Hope they stay fit as I have little faith in Bair, Ricketts and Raposo leading the line.

Cavallini being away for the World Cup qualifying or the Gold Cup (or both) could create some issues.  I'd have to think Ricketts would be the starter out of that group of 3, and while I'll never question is effort he's not the finisher Cava is.

56 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Cavallini being away for the World Cup qualifying or the Gold Cup (or both) could create some issues.  I'd have to think Ricketts would be the starter out of that group of 3, and while I'll never question is effort he's not the finisher Cava is.

Cavallini is a crucial piece in holding up the ball as a target man.  Egbo might turn out to be a sleeper in that regard as well as other offensive areas, coming from a strong college program.  Maybe he is a reasonable facsimile to Daryl Dike, whose career seems to be on a sharp trajectory.  Bair is the guy with the most to prove to Schuster and the coaching staff and I really think it might be "make or break" in 2021 for him.  Raposo is a back up winger/flank player here, nothing more.  Ricketts is better off than as a starter because he always seems to pot a key goal here and there, but after all these years he is still an athlete first/technician distant second and can't do the hold up/possession maintaining stuff which Cavallini can do very well.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see a player move during the summer window to acquire another forward.

11 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

People seem to not have a good opinion of Raposo. I thought he looked OK when he came on. He had a great chance on the goal. Isn't he a striker? I would put him in over Bair.

Hevreally didn't do much to create the chance and his effort on goal wasn't great. My opinion is he's a smart player with a nice touch. I just think the pace of the game and physicality is a bit beyond him. He can still develop but I wouldn't say he has a high ceiling. He'll have to work extremely hard to stay in the MLS but good luck to him

Edited by SpursFlu