Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

19 hours ago, saintjoes said:

First half just finished. I HIGHLY recommend watching as there are LOADS of Canadian players in it. Special shout out to a potential CB for CANMNT: Mateo Campagna (16yrs old and MDS just gave an interview and he singled him out as an academy kid who had massive potential - even seemed more high on him than Habbibulah!)

19 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Yea I saw it, apparently he’s very high on him. Young young team will be interesting to see how he plays everyone this year.

Just finished the AFTN podcast this week with an interview with Dos Santos, in which he said there's a 16 year old on the academy that has massive potential, but was concerned with his development and getting him playing time.  Wonder if it's Campagna.

5 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Just finished the AFTN podcast this week with an interview with Dos Santos, in which he said there's a 16 year old on the academy that has massive potential, but was concerned with his development and getting him playing time.  Wonder if it's Campagna.

They should loan him to a CPL team.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I know Shuster has said they will look more often now for loans for their youth, I was wondering why they haven’t but you answered that.

TBH I don’t see why Campagna couldn’t fight for time at 16 and looking at their CB depth.....

It’s not Habibullah so maybe it’s Herdman ? Crowded midfield, even Habibullah might not get time.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Ya my guess is it's Campagna based on his Nesta comment in that interview - something like: "it's hard to start as a 16yr old in the MLS maybe unless he's Nesta.." - so makes me think he was looking for a CB to compare him to 🤔.. that and Campagna has a Nesta hairdo! Lol 

Edited by saintjoes

5 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I know Shuster has said they will look more often now for loans for their youth, I was wondering why they haven’t but you answered that.

TBH I don’t see why Campagna couldn’t fight for time at 16 and looking at their CB depth.....

It’s not Habibullah so maybe it’s Herdman ? Crowded midfield, even Habibullah might not get time.

Forming an impression from one pressure-less friendly that a 16 year old should be in the rotation is a bit much.  Still some ways to go but could be a top player if put in the right environment.  Not sure how many cpl teams would be interested in loaning a 16 year old CB, if I were Caps I'd be trying to loan him to a youth league in Europe given that he's Italian.   

Should note that I've heard the Caps aren't the most friendliest with the CPL, especially with Pacific.  They rejected taking last year's HG's on loan and this year as well.

Few of the academy boys were there to fill depth with a number of first team guys still not involved.  The reserve roster spots have already been filled by the team before they left for Utah.    

Habibullah plays as a #7 or #11 with the Caps, not much depth in those roles other than Caicedo and Dajome.  

Edited by Footyeh

It’s interesting that last year for the island games both the Whitecaps and TFC loaned players and Montreal did not.  This year, Montreal has already filled its quota for loans with the CPL, and the other two haven’t.  I suspect come the end of the month, we will see the other two loaning players if the CPL does look to start up at the end of May 

1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

Forming an impression from one pressure-less friendly that a 16 year old should be in the rotation is a bit much.  Still some ways to go but could be a top player if put in the right environment.  Not sure how many cpl teams would be interested in loaning a 16 year old CB, if I were Caps I'd be trying to loan him to a youth league in Europe given that he's Italian.   

Should note that I've heard the Caps aren't the most friendliest with the CPL, especially with Pacific.  They rejected taking last year's HG's on loan and this year as well.

Few of the academy boys were there to fill depth with a number of first team guys still not involved.  The reserve roster spots have already been filled by the team before they left for Utah.    

Habibullah plays as a #7 or #11 with the Caps, not much depth in those roles other than Caicedo and Dajome.  

Given that Pacific is in their backyard and targeting their HG’s I’m not surprised.

im saying if the hype on him is real and he’s signed he should play. 

On 4/10/2021 at 12:46 PM, saintjoes said:

First half just finished. I HIGHLY recommend watching as there are LOADS of Canadian players in it. Special shout out to a potential CB for CANMNT: Mateo Campagna (16yrs old and MDS just gave an interview and he singled him out as an academy kid who had massive potential - even seemed more high on him than Habbibulah!)

Game stream and starting line up:

Update: Herman on for second half

Never heard of this Batyrv kid. I see he got in to the game v Chicago. Came from TFC if anyone is familiar 

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Given that Pacific is in their backyard and targeting their HG’s I’m not surprised.

im saying if the hype on him is real and he’s signed he should play. 

There's hype on every HG, doesn't mean they should play right now.  Gianfranco is two years older and had "hype" and still isn't ready to get minutes.  Same with Pecile.  

Habibullah is probably the most pro ready out of any in the academy.  

2 hours ago, Footyeh said:

There's hype on every HG, doesn't mean they should play right now.  Gianfranco is two years older and had "hype" and still isn't ready to get minutes.  Same with Pecile.  

Habibullah is probably the most pro ready out of any in the academy.  

Agreed to an extent.

Is it not ready or is it not good enough ? Or no confidence in them ?

44 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Agreed to an extent.

Is it not ready or is it not good enough ? Or no confidence in them ?

As a young player, you have to give coaches confidence.  People need to see how they perform against first team players in training before saying they deserve a chance, you get a clear idea of how close/far they really are.  

I love that we get optimistic about every prospect, especially homegrown signings but the truth is very few are special and capable of competing for minutes right away.  

12 hours ago, Footyeh said:

In an earlier interview, Pa Madou Kah stated that Pacific had been training a lot together with Whitecaps this preseason.  Seems weird that they have a poor relationship if this was happening. 

8 hours ago, Footyeh said:

As a young player, you have to give coaches confidence.  People need to see how they perform against first team players in training before saying they deserve a chance, you get a clear idea of how close/far they really are.  

I love that we get optimistic about every prospect, especially homegrown signings but the truth is very few are special and capable of competing for minutes right away.  

I would argue the opposite, in terms of giving confidence. 

Why sign players for the sake of signing them ? I think MDS doesn’t trust his youth that much.

3 hours ago, Ivan said:

In an earlier interview, Pa Madou Kah stated that Pacific had been training a lot together with Whitecaps this preseason.  Seems weird that they have a poor relationship if this was happening. 

And they had a behind doors friendly against each other. Obviously a working relationship there. That also doesn't happen overnight. 

6 hours ago, Ivan said:

They had one half session with the U23's and Pacific then a friendly match.  There has been a lot of disputes between the two with players.  It's a different to play a match when that's the only team they could have possibly played in the province.  

4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I would argue the opposite, in terms of giving confidence. 

Why sign players for the sake of signing them ? I think MDS doesn’t trust his youth that much.

So a Manager who's there to win games or get fired should be giving younger players senior minutes just for their confidence?  Why do all clubs in the world give out pro deals to academy kids when most won't make the grade?  Being a good youth player is one thing, being able to apply your ability to the first team level is another.  Maybe MDS doesn't trust them, but neither did Martin Rennie, or Robinson... has to be for a reason no?  

3 hours ago, Footyeh said:

So a Manager who's there to win games or get fired should be giving younger players senior minutes just for their confidence?  Why do all clubs in the world give out pro deals to academy kids when most won't make the grade?  Being a good youth player is one thing, being able to apply your ability to the first team level is another.  Maybe MDS doesn't trust them, but neither did Martin Rennie, or Robinson... has to be for a reason no?  

It’s a deeper argument, are you a selling club or not ? It falls on everyone top to bottom. Probably not just MDS, but there does have to be a plan at the least to turn every signed academy player into an asset. Whitecaps aren’t the only culprits, winning with the kids may prove very challenging aswell. At the time of signing them, I’d venture to guess it’s cause YZ think that X prospect will pan out, until they don’t. 

Edited by Dominic94