Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

This is very sad. It actual makes me angry. This and many other things right now should not be viewed as a cest la vie and we all just shrug our shoulders. These things could have, should have been avoided. Of course media, communications etc etc always change but it should happen organically thru a free market. Terribly sad news for Sports fans in Vancouver and more so for the many employees of the station and their families

Edited by SpursFlu

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Bell has just axed TSN 1040 entirely. Changing the stations format. Impacts the Whitecaps, since that's where their games were carried.

I think the larger impact on the Whitecaps could potentially be their kit sponsor. With all of the cost cutting going on at Bell, would they still be interested in dishing out a large chunk of dough to have their logo on the kit of an unsuccessful team during a global pandemic when less eyeballs and media attention are on sports?

9 hours ago, masster said:

I think the larger impact on the Whitecaps could potentially be their kit sponsor. With all of the cost cutting going on at Bell, would they still be interested in dishing out a large chunk of dough to have their logo on the kit of an unsuccessful team during a global pandemic when less eyeballs and media attention are on sports?

Game Stop as the new shirt sponsor, anyone?

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

A "Moneyball" look at the Whitecaps, and where they've failed.  Spoiler: in a lot of areas.

well, this might help!

edit: beaten to the chase, new head of recruitment. great resumé, brentford and midtjylland have really risen in stature after doing a lot of data/analytics driven scouting 

Edited by saladroit

"It was always going to take some time to get the house in order. The worst thing we could do is rush into signings before the new system has a chance to work.. when the time is right, we will be ready"

Or maybe they will point back to being big spenders last year and how it failed with this appointment and time being necessary to get it right. 

Skepticism out the way I do expect they will get a DP. The window changing to a close on June 1st might change some thinking with potential free agents though.

28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

"It was always going to take some time to get the house in order. The worst thing we could do is rush into signings before the new system has a chance to work.. when the time is right, we will be ready"

Or maybe they will point back to being big spenders last year and how it failed with this appointment and time being necessary to get it right. 

Skepticism out the way I do expect they will get a DP. The window changing to a close on June 1st might change some thinking with potential free agents though.

I could still see a young DP but someone who is more Nic Mezquida-esque as opposed to a consistent attacking focal point. Either way, it's someone they'll have for two years then sell on for a fiscal return, like In-Beom to Russia.

I am still wondering if Schuster can use his German club Rolodex to bring in a young DP stuck in the numbers game at his German club and looking for an opportunity to strut his stuff elsewhere on loan to further his career.

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

It's tough.  I can't blame Schuster for mistakes of the past, he does seem to be moving the club in the right direction, and I don't want the club wasting money either.  And the global circumstances make things that much tougher.  But man, I wish things were done now.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/whitecaps-scouting-department-finally-gets-an-overheul

Interesting to read that they were the ones who approached Deportivo Cali about Caicedo, not an agent or the club.  So, one of the first big tests for the new scouting system.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2021/02/17/add-javain-brown

The upgrade we have needed on Nerwinski the past 3 years? Could be a sleeper pick that everyone else in the draft missed or is it yet another bargain bin gamble to fill the squad as cheaply as possible. 

Quite possible no-one wanted him because he was an international space filler. He has international caps for Jamaica so maybe there is some upside. 

I really hope Schuster pulls a Number 10 out of his ass. If it transpires as he has been hinting this week that there might not be one coming in this window, he has failed. Maybe he expects MDS to be out by the summer and the new manager can get the funds, albeit it's two twinkies and a bag of chips to trade. 

13 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

While we're looking at RB's in Portugal, from watching Eustaquio games, I really liked what I saw from Ze Uilton. They must have watched him when they were linked to Eustaquio a year ago. I'm sure he'd be a lot cheaper.

According to transfermarkt, Gaspar's market value is the same as Teibert's.  Go figure.