Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

22 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yup. We'll see. It's also quite the step to go from "marketable Brazilian #10" to "Scottish #10 who didn't make the national team". 

He should have been in the Scottish team and was likely penalised for not playing in the UK and choosing to play in the Primeira Liga. He scored 9 goals as a mid this past year, that is pretty good!

15 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

He should have been in the Scottish team and was likely penalised for not playing in the UK and choosing to play in the Primeira Liga. He scored 9 goals as a mid this past year, that is pretty good!

Oh I'm not saying he couldn't be good. I'm just saying from a marketing/hype perspective, that's quite the swing. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not this season but last, when they were promoting, Dani Fernandes was their back-up keeper. 

Just to get some perspective, Dani would never have been considered interesting for the Caps, this guy after a season in and relegation from the top flight, is in the picture. 

Funny enough Dani Fernandes is again eligible to play for Canada given the changes in FIFA eligibility rules. 

A guy who I assume has aspirations to finally get his call up to his offensively challenged NT for WC qualifiers this fall is going to sign for a poor team in MLS?  This sounds like b.s. but stranger things have happened.  

What happened with the Brazilian guy playing in the Ukraine? 

10 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Funny enough Dani Fernandes is again eligible to play for Canada given the changes in FIFA eligibility rules. 

He's too old for a national team, but being Edmonton-born it'd be a fine finish of he signed and got some games with FCE. 

He was on one of the worst teams in Malta this year, I'd say he's done. 

Should have been a fully deserved draw tonight.

There is definitely something there with the Whitecaps. Just not nearly enough. Even with all the players back they are short 2/3 extra pieces of quality to get them where they should be. If they get Ryan Gauld or that elusive #10 it will be a start but they are still lacking. MDS is a big part of things not working though.  

The teams inconsistency is a byproduct of the complete tactical inconsistency of the coach. Last week it was a mess, some players doing the high press some not, positioning terrible, players confused. I doubt I am alone in still wanting MDS to turn it around but he has spun so far in circles he has buried himself and the caps in the ground. From the beginning he has looked out of his depth. 3rd season in and I don't see any hope of that changing. I am sure he won't want to because I can't see him managing at this level again but he has to go.  

The Caps are like Scotland at the Euros:  lots of graft but little craft.  

I listened to the commentary early on and Blake Price referred to Andy Rose as "the coach on the field."  Well, coach failed with an ill-advised header straight to the edge of the p.a. contributing to the winner (which was a cracker, btw) instead of knocking it to the far less dangerous flank area.  Awful.

32 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

The Caps are like Scotland at the Euros:  lots of graft but little craft.  

I listened to the commentary early on and Blake Price referred to Andy Rose as "the coach on the field."  Well, coach failed with an ill-advised header straight to the edge of the p.a. contributing to the winner (which was a cracker, btw) instead of knocking it to the far less dangerous flank area.  Awful.

This is such a disappointing team at the moment. I feel for Cavallini as he must be so very frustrated to receive so little service from the wings and midfield. Neither he nor White were helped much last night.

MDS seems to have lost his way and likely needs to be replaced. The squad seems to be filled with mostly mediocre players. I do not feel that Ali Adnan would add a whole bunch of help especially at his cost. Moving him to another club could free up some money to find that #10 type player and another central defender especially if journeyman Andy Rose is one of your best in the position.

We shall see.

5 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I do not feel that Ali Adnan would add a whole bunch of help especially at his cost.

I would be disappointed if he returned to be honest. That would mean minutes taken away from Gutierrez who has been one of the bright lights in the team. He needs trading and a quality left winger and backup LB brought in. 

My two main thoughts after watching the match yesterday...

MDS has to go, immediately.

How the fuck is Derek Cornelius deemed not good to start for this team? It's quite obvious that the two best CBs on the team are Godoy and Cornelius, so why not bench one and shunt the other one to play RB. 🙄

10 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

My two main thoughts after watching the match yesterday...

MDS has to go, immediately.

How the fuck is Derek Cornelius deemed not good to start for this team? It's quite obvious that the two best CBs on the team are Godoy and Cornelius, so why not bench one and shunt the other one to play RB. 🙄

It was Cornelius's man who scored the winner on the weekend. Honestly I'm not sure why people are rating Cornelius so highly. He hasn't shown that much. If we're talking about "better than Rose" I'll probably still agree with that but that's more because I rank Rose so low rather than anything Cornelius related.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

I would be disappointed if he returned to be honest. That would mean minutes taken away from Gutierrez who has been one of the bright lights in the team. He needs trading and a quality left winger and backup LB brought in. 

Gutierrez has shown moments of good play and moments of extremely poor play. He was at fault (both for the first pass and then the man coverage) on LA's first goal last night. I'd still rather have him than Adnan though.

Adnan was the ultimate panic buy.  This would be a free transfer but still in roughly the same salary range they were looking at and with a player more in his prime.  Honestly, the rumoured Alan Patrick loan/buy for a 30 year old seemed much more like a panic buy.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Adnan was the ultimate panic buy.  This would be a free transfer but still in roughly the same salary range they were looking at and with a player more in his prime.  Honestly, the rumoured Alan Patrick loan/buy for a 30 year old seemed much more like a panic buy.

I remain skeptical that a guy who has NT aspirations would move his club career to a lower table MLS side eight time zones away, but you never know. If he is getting a substantial sum of guaranted money thown, hecmight as well take it then run.