Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

26 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

So these magical Visa issues just came up in 2021. Im calling BS

I've seen that a number of teams have had problems with visa issues this year, more than previous years. So, is your accusation that the Whitecaps bungled it, or that they're trying to sell him or that he wants to leave? Because I've definitely heard that it's more related to a sale and they're all just stalling for time.

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I've seen that a number of teams have had problems with visa issues this year, more than previous years. So, is your accusation that the Whitecaps bungled it, or that they're trying to sell him or that he wants to leave? Because I've definitely heard that it's more related to a sale and they're all just stalling for time.

I'm saying they're getting rid of him in the summer and to keep it simple and to create a new chemistry without him around, theyve made up some BS visa story. Knowing him he was likely in terrible shape anyways so he wouldn't have done anyone favors in terms of getting the most for him

14 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm saying they're getting rid of him in the summer and to keep it simple and to create a new chemistry without him around, theyve made up some BS visa story. Knowing him he was likely in terrible shape anyways so he wouldn't have done anyone favors in terms of getting the most for him

Yeah, that's basically one of the rumours/theories I've heard. That the visa issue was taking a while, but they're in no hurry to try and expedite it.

If they spend the break working on building the chemistry of a three man central midfield (Bikel-Baldi-Alexandre), I wonder if they will also make a personnel move (league trade?) to acquire a more attainable attacking piece instead of the much longed for but always out of their reach "10"?  They could definitely use some striker help to spell or support Cavallini.  There is no faith in Bair, Ricketts is what he is but another year older and possiblly a durability concern, while this year's first round draft pick is AWOL.

The decent start gave them a bit of leverage in any negotiations.  Alas, losing 3 straight and looking worse each game (and more like previous years) has put them back in a bad bargaining position. The global transfer market is still a buyer's market though.

27 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The decent start gave them a bit of leverage in any negotiations.  Alas, losing 3 straight and looking worse each game (and more like previous years) has put them back in a bad bargaining position. The global transfer market is still a buyer's market though.

I'm thinking more MLS trade than transfer/loan acquisition.  This international transfer window is closing very soon but league moves are still alive and well.

15 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I'm thinking more MLS trade than transfer/loan acquisition.  This international transfer window is closing very soon but league moves are still alive and well.

Is there a 10 to aquire within the league though?

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Is there a 10 to aquire within the league though?

No, but you can get another forward, and I think Schuster implied that with some of his comments a couple of weeks back when asked about the search for a 10.  And before those comments, the club spun a bunch of p.r. about finding "right fit" players when they discussed Overheul and the scouting department.

If (and that's a big IF) they get a 10 in the waning days of this transfer window, I fear it might be more of a panic purchase or a loan with serious strings attached as opposed to a "right fit" acquistion.  We'll see.

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

No, but you can get another forward, and I think Schuster implied that with some of his comments a couple of weeks back when asked about the search for a 10.  And before those comments, the club spun a bunch of p.r. about finding "right fit" players when they discussed Overheul and the scouting department.

If (and that's a big IF) they get a 10 in the waning days of this transfer window, I fear it might be more of a panic purchase or a loan with serious strings attached as opposed to a "right fit" acquistion.  We'll see.

Yeah, fair. I would think the striker/false 9 if a backup variety might be available within the league. 

Honestly wonder of Nerwinski (as a US domestic) has any value in a trade. I think that Brown has shown enough that I'd rather go with him and Gaspar.

55 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Honestly wonder of Nerwinski (as a US domestic) has any value in a trade. I think that Brown has shown enough that I'd rather go with him and Gaspar.

When I think of Nerwinski, I am always reminded of the late, great Vancouver sports broadcaster Big Al Davidson lamenting that the mid-70s Canucks couldn't make decent trades because they were asking for battleships and offering rowboats.  Right now, Jake's a rowboat, unfortunately, but it depends on what a team needs.  

One team that is in definite need of CB help are the Red Bulls with Long gone for the year, so a guy like Cornelius might be more appealing (Khmiri is a rowboat).  Not sure what kind of forward help would come the other way, however.

• 2 weeks later...

So, listening to the most recent AFTN podcast, seems that Greg Anderson (technically not mentioned but if you've followed this team long enough you know who they're talking about) messed up Adnan's visa. When setting up the visa the first time around he failed to set it for the length of the contract and instead did it for just the year, and that's causing some issues with the renewal.

Also discussed: Schuster saying in an interview with them that the #10 might not arrive until (spoiler) the next window in January. This team just kills me.

Edited by Watchmen

Let's hope there aren't any more mid season breaks. Despite playing several friendlies we have manage to return looking weaker and worse than before.

So disorganized, some players pressing some not, bunching up, running into each other. White signed, I can only assume, to make Bair look acceptable. 

The style of play is similar to their #10 strategy. Safety first, safety second,no movement then hit abort if we get close to shooting range. 

MDS continues to live on borrowed time. We all want him to do well but despite a slightly better attacking game this is atrocious football he and the team are churning out. His days are numbered. If only we had break to give a better coach the chance to settle in.

Game seemed to fall apart when Gutierrez got injured- hopefully doesn’t keep him out of the Gold Cup. After he was taken off it didn’t look like Teibert or Cornelius could figure out between them who was actually supposed to be playing left back (which might be down to coaching instructions) and both the corner for the 2nd goal and the 3rd came from RSL exploiting that space vacated on the left side of the Whitecaps defence 

second was from a throw in..and after rewatching that it looks like bad positioning from crepeau..there is no defender on either post so he should be trying to cover both sides but as the ball comes in he moves too much to the left making it too far if the ball is directed to the right..which is what happened

A lot of bad passing decisions (by RSL) and poor decsion making and movement (by the Caps).  And those of you who love whoscored.com, the worst starter on the pitch (the right footed LB for RSL who, among other mess ups, gave the ball away to Brown for White's goal), somehow earned a 7.2.  So even the analytics were as lacking as the quality on the pitch.

Paul Dolan got it right and verified the weakness that we all see in the Whitecaps' attack. The lone striker is not getting any service from the midfield. White was left to his own devices for most of his shift and Cavallini fared no better when he came on. Hence he drifted toward the midfield to try to get more involved.

The absence of an effective CAM (#10) remains the biggest deficit in the roster and has made the teams' attack predictable. There is next to no attack through the middle and the outside attack is easy for defensive adjustments.

What is needed is a player who can support Cavalinni and/or White, and that would be a player like Jonathan Osorio who reads Cavalinni so well. Osorio, or somebody like him, would be a good addition who can effectively play the ball through the middle and up the spine. Until such a player is acquired, the team will not score many goals.

There is a lot of graft but not enough coordinated craft on the attack.  For instance, Dajome's decision making bogs down an attacking opening too often while both wingers, though hard workers, don't look a threat 1 v 1.  And one area of production which never gets mentioned regards goals via swift counters from deep positions.  That disappeared with the Reyna departure to DC.  

From the front office down to the play on the field, no one seems to be on the same page here.  Experimenting (again!) with a 3-5-2 during this break, even though such a system makes some attacking personnel redundant, gives off the Robbo vibe of throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Bringing in Osorio would be the kind of move the pre-Schuster/Moneyball Martin regime would have done but it isn't going to (nor should) happen now.

The thing that might save the Caps this season is that there is so much mediocrity in this conference.  The opponent last night is exhibit A:  on a diiferent night the Caps pop a couple of goals to win and people start overrating the product once again.

Edited by BearcatSA