Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

39 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Can anyone fill me in on Colyn’s status?  I know he went to SPAL on loan and I think he is getting minutes with their U19 team, but I am not sure when the loan will end and if he has any chance of coming back to Vancouver for/during the upcoming season.  

He’s there but with a loan to buy and it seems like he’s done very well. I don’t think he comes back but if you’re on Twitter try tweeting Glasscityfc and asking. That person would know when it comes to anything whitecaps.

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Follow up (fairly specific question) - if you were betting on the long term success of Colyn, Bair or Raposo, I am thinking that Colyn has the most potential to “make it”.  Does that sound right? 

I agree, and I feel like even the simple fact that he is out of Vancouver gives his career much more promise. 

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I just realized that the Whitecaps play two games on Saturday.  I mean, I realize it's a messed up season and they'll take what they can get at this stage, I just wasn't expecting that.  Should be some playing time for the academy kids there at least.

@dyslexic nam It's a double header of pre-season games. Which still seems strange to me. But, get in what games you can before the season starts.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Follow up (fairly specific question) - if you were betting on the long term success of Colyn, Bair or Raposo, I am thinking that Colyn has the most potential to “make it”.  Does that sound right? 

That's an interesting debate. I think Colyn probably has the most "upside", but does that mean he's the most likely to make it? 

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Can anyone fill me in on Colyn’s status?  I know he went to SPAL on loan and I think he is getting minutes with their U19 team, but I am not sure when the loan will end and if he has any chance of coming back to Vancouver for/during the upcoming season.  

No chance IMO we see him play for Caps 1st team again, last year he was training with the youth and I think that sums up what they think.  Vancouver's fault here, he should have never been pushed into the spotlight at that age when he was no where near ready but I guess on the back of the Davies transfer they wanted to play up their pipeline.

He's played 8/16 matches he's dressed for SPAL, hasn't played a full 90 yet in the league, played 69 minutes out of a possible 360 in the last four matches.  I really don't get why people think SPAL will purchase him.  

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

@dyslexic nam It's a double header of pre-season games. Which still seems strange to me. But, get in what games you can before the season starts.

Ah - assuming they would use it to give everyone a run-out.  At first it seem pretty crazy.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

That's an interesting debate. I think Colyn probably has the most "upside", but does that mean he's the most likely to make it? 

Yeah, I know there is no perfect crystal ball, but Colyn seems to be making progress in Europe with the other two seemed underwhelming at the Olympic tournament. I guess I am just thinking in terms of probabilities.

10 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

No chance IMO we see him play for Caps 1st team again, last year he was training with the youth and I think that sums up what they think.  Vancouver's fault here, he should have never been pushed into the spotlight at that age when he was no where near ready but I guess on the back of the Davies transfer they wanted to play up their pipeline.

He's played 8/16 matches he's dressed for SPAL, hasn't played a full 90 yet in the league, played 69 minutes out of a possible 360 in the last four matches.  I really don't get why people think SPAL will purchase him.  

Well that is a bit more bleak.  I was hoping that he was on the upswing, but you paint a different picture.

40 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Vancouver's fault here, he should have never been pushed into the spotlight at that age when he was no where near ready but I guess on the back of the Davies transfer they wanted to play up their pipeline.

The Caps' p.r. choreographed Colyn's debut with Davies's curtain call substitution in his final MLS game, in front of the home fans.

27 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Herdman still with the team, I’d imagine he’s close to a deal ?

Herdman on the bench for their friendly LIVE NOW via free stream on whitecaps website (though you'll need a VPN if you're outside BC or Alberta)

10 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Herdman on the bench for their friendly LIVE NOW via free stream on whitecaps website (though you'll need a VPN if you're outside BC or Alberta)

First half just finished. I HIGHLY recommend watching as there are LOADS of Canadian players in it. Special shout out to a potential CB for CANMNT: Mateo Campagna (16yrs old and MDS just gave an interview and he singled him out as an academy kid who had massive potential - even seemed more high on him than Habbibulah!)

Game stream and starting line up:

Update: Herman on for second half

Edited by saintjoes

6 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

First half just finished. I HIGHLY recommend watching as there are LOADS of Canadian players in it. Special shout out to a potential CB for CANMNT: Mateo Campagna (16yrs old and MDS just gave an interview and he singled him out as an academy kid who had massive potential - even seemed more high on him than Habbibulah!)

Game stream and starting line up:

Update: Herman on for second half

Yea I saw it, apparently he’s very high on him. Young young team will be interesting to see how he plays everyone this year.

On 3/31/2021 at 8:21 PM, Footyeh said:

What I've heard through is that last years two homegrown signings were more club pushed and not backed by MDS.  This could obviously be false, but what I've seen in the trainings would seem to support it.  Facchienieri specifically in the first two weeks took part in the sessions as normal but was used sparingly in scrimmages.  There seemed to be a lot of shadow play work in the practices prior to all the internationals leaving.  The four CB's that got all the work were Ranko/Godoy/Cornelius/Rose.  In fact, one of the younger boys Campagna got a lot of reps both in RCB/RB.  

I'm not saying the kid isn't going to make it, just not likely he's ready yet.  Perhaps another loan will do wonders.  

As far as who's standing out, Gutierrez, Baldisimo and Cornelius were very good and the latter two displayed their form in the Olympic Qualifiers.  The academy boys that stood out were Campagna as mentioned and Habibullah.  Didn't get to see much but thought Keishan Francois was okay as well as Abraham Jones.  

😄

Matteo is full of confidence, so much composure to bring the ball down and look to play.  He was converted from a CM.

17 hours ago, Footyeh said:

😄

Matteo is full of confidence, so much composure to bring the ball down and look to play.  He was converted from a CM.

He was one of the CBs for that Canada U15 team that beat Mexico 2-0 and lost in the semis to Slovenia in ET.