Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's interesting to see the Whitecaps scouting Portugal so heavily. Two of their #10 signing attempts and now a RB.  That's not a complaint, as it's a quality league.  I'm just wondering what made them start scouting there so much.  Or maybe it's just coincidence. 

They may actually be a playoff team.

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

They may actually be a playoff team.

Low bar in this league.  Heck, but not for the the Rapids Rule, the team might have made it in 2020.

However, moving on from the likes of Nerwinski and Teibert and putting those players in supporting roles on the bench is a step in the right direction for this team to be a consistent regular in the postseason lottery.  

2 hours ago, masster said:

Remember watching Gaspar during his limited time at my Fiorentina. Didn't have the defensive awareness to cut it in Italy. That was 3 years ago now, so if he is still the same player, he should be able to contribute in MLS. But I wouldn't have too high expectations for him.

Defensively worse than Adnan, who also couldn't cut it in Italy?

On 2/27/2021 at 4:39 PM, Watchmen said:

Defensively worse than Adnan, who also couldn't cut it in Italy?

I don't think that second part is accurate. Adnan actually did quite well at Udinese. He only left Italy after a falling out with Gasperini at Atalanta.

As to who is worse defensively, I don't think I can make a judgement after watching about a dozen Gaspar games 3 years ago.

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Interesting.  Even if it's not a 10, if he can distribute the ball well that's an upgrade on most of their midfielders.  Have to think that would unfortunately push Baldesimo down the depth chart.

Could work well in tandem, depends on the 10 they bring in. I can seem Baldy being given the similar sub treatment and a clutch of starts but if the 10 isn't workshy having a deep lying playmaker like Baldy could work. He has to work on the defensive side of his game but if he can fine tune it there could be a real player there imo.

22 hours ago, toontownman said:

Could work well in tandem, depends on the 10 they bring in. I can seem Baldy being given the similar sub treatment and a clutch of starts but if the 10 isn't workshy having a deep lying playmaker like Baldy could work. He has to work on the defensive side of his game but if he can fine tune it there could be a real player there imo.

He could beat out a Bikel though, MDS said he would be fair with the youth so hopefully Baldy earns it. I’m very excited for Habibullah.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Probably a futile effort, but back in 2017 Chevron issued 2 or 3 different sheets with 6 Caps player cards.  I am trying to get the sheet with Davies’ card in it. If any Caps fans have one they would part with, please PM me.  

I've got one squirrelled away but it's mine all mine, along with my copy of the first 86ers match program. 🤓

Whitecaps opener April 18th against Portland, in Utah.

MDS saying they're hoping to get in a couple of preseason games once they've relocated down. Games against RSL make the most sense for both teams.

Edited by Watchmen