Ralph Priso

Shway

Hasn't played much since his impressive sub appearance vs Vancouver during a congested fixture schedule in the three weeks since that time.  Looks like he's been an unused sub a couple of times with one start in that stretch.  His team is pretty much out of playoff contention so he needs to show Fraser in training that he should be starting in the final games of the season and set himself up better for next year.

Edited by BearcatSA

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Hasn't played much since his impressive sub appearance vs Vancouver during a congested fixture schedule in the three weeks since that time.  Looks like he's been an unused sub a couple of times with one start in that stretch.  His team is pretty much out of playoff contention so he needs to show Fraser in training that he should be starting in the final games of the season and set himself up better for next year.

Im pretty sure Fraser has faith in him as surely they didn’t acquire him for no reason. 

17 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Im pretty sure Fraser has faith in him as surely they didn’t acquire him for no reason. 

He can walk away on a free at the end of this season, I am led to believe, so if they see his future as being  next year and beyond instead of contributing now, they'll need to re-sign him, otherwise it will be a wasted part of the Kaye deal having him sit on the bench for the remainder of this season and then he opts to chase the European dream next season.  Fraser must have faith that the club is going to re-up him.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Colorado fans all seem to think he should be starting. Maybe the problem is Priso doesn’t want to re-sign and they’re freezing him out? Wouldn’t be a shock.

Would make sense. They may think there’s no point in giving him playing time if he is likely to walk away at season’s end. May be better (from their perspective) to give other players under longer-term contract a chance to grow with extra minutes. 

I don’t know if it’s a Toronto vs Montreal thing….but for me, comparing Priso vs Kone from their 20+ MLS games. They both are similar players and I like what I’ve seen from Priso over Kone.

So if Kone is getting overseas attention/offers and I’m Ralph, I would be betting on myself and not signing any new MLS contract.

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

I don’t know if it’s a Toronto vs Montreal thing….but for me, comparing Priso vs Kone from their 20+ MLS games. They both are similar players and I like what I’ve seen from Priso over Kone.

So if Kone is getting overseas attention/offers and I’m Ralph, I would be betting on myself and not signing any new MLS contract.

They are both in central midfield but Priso tends to play more defensively and Kone more in an attacking role so I think they are fairly different.   I think Kone tends to excite a bit more because attacking flair always catches the eye, and he also could fill a gap in our national team (Priso plays Staq’s position and I get the feeling that he will be around for quite a while). 

Edited by dyslexic nam

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

They are both in central midfield but Priso tends to play more defensively and Kone more in an attacking role so I think they are fairly different.   I think Kone tends to excite a bit more because attacking flair always catches the eye, and he also could fill a gap in our national team (Priso plays Staq’s position and I get the feeling that he will be around for quite a while). 

I don't know man...you're right about the flair that Kone has that Priso doesn't. He has a swagger/bounce to him that you see. 

But I don't agree that he's more in an attacking role than Priso is..(I think that's the swagger). I think they both are box to box midfielders who's style is to break up plays and get the ball forward. Which they both do, they just play in different systems.

Keep in mind, Montreal has deployed a 3-5-2 all season, and Kone's primarily played in the DM position alongside Wanyama, with 3 guys in front of him and when Piette re-emerged he's sometimes played with all 3 in the middle. Those two guys are both midfielder destroyers. If you really take in Montreal's personnel it's a very defensive team, which has allowed Kone to be more free/express himself. It's the reason he has double the amount of turnovers than Priso.

Whereas with TFC, Priso was played in the holding position with the expectation to play short passes between Osorio, Delgado, Pozuelo or Bradley, while staying safe in the belly of the field. Being the last man before the defence. 

Compare their stats, they have near equal minutes...you'll be surprised to see that there's not much difference. 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Colorado fans all seem to think he should be starting. Maybe the problem is Priso doesn’t want to re-sign and they’re freezing him out? Wouldn’t be a shock.

Even if a player felt that way privately, why would he and/or his agent communicate that to his present employer when he needs to get in the shop window to show off his talents and generate interest from other suitors?  

30 minutes ago, Shway said:

I don't think relying on a cv from one year ago, pre-fairly serious injury, is a wise bet at any time.  Doing everything possible to get as many minutes/starts as he can is what he needs to do right now.

Maybe he hasn't shown the right attitude to Fraser in training?  I really hope that isn't the case here. 

14 hours ago, Shway said:

Sounds a bit like Toronto bias brother (and I am a TFC fan).

I like Priso, but I am not convinced he's the same level of prospect that Kone is. That's why Kone is getting those links abroad and Priso isn't (yet). Pre-injury there's possibly an argument, but since then Priso got shipped to Colorado where he's not playing much, while Kone continues to play regularly for club that's now qualified for the playoffs. He also has a decent shot at the WC, whereas Priso does not. 

None of that is to shit on Priso. He sould be one for next cycle and I can see him getting regular caps at some point (unlike Okello), but there's something unique to Kone's game that Priso doesn't have. I think it's more than the flair, I think it's the elegent way he moves with the ball in midfield that's attractive. Flair is probably not the word to describe it. 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Sounds a bit like Toronto bias brother (and I am a TFC fan).

I like Priso, but I am not convinced he's the same level of prospect that Kone is. That's why Kone is getting those links abroad and Priso isn't (yet). Pre-injury there's possibly an argument, but since then Priso got shipped to Colorado where he's not playing much, while Kone continues to play regularly for club that's now qualified for the playoffs. He also has a decent shot at the WC, whereas Priso does not. 

None of that is to shit on Priso. He sould be one for next cycle and I can see him getting regular caps at some point (unlike Okello), but there's something unique to Kone's game that Priso doesn't have. I think it's more than the flair, I think it's the elegent way he moves with the ball in midfield that's attractive. Flair is probably not the word to describe it. 

I agree with most of what you said except Kone is not playing regularly for club. It's sporadic.

21 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Even if a player felt that way privately, why would he and/or his agent communicate that to his present employer when he needs to get in the shop window to show off his talents and generate interest from other suitors?  

Well if they keep approaching him to sign an extension, wouldn't he have to say no, thereby making the team realize he has no interest?

Not saying that's what is happening, but is a realistic scenario for me. How can you keep your ambition to leave a secret if your contract is ending, if there is desire to extend

Edited by rydermike

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

Well if they keep approaching him to sign an extension, wouldn't he have to say no, thereby making the team realize he has no interest?

Not saying that's what is happening, but is a realistic scenario for me. How can you keep your ambition to leave a secret if your contract is ending, if there is desire to extend

I totally hear what you are saying but betting on himself based on his current season with two MLS teams isn't a springboard to a better situation abroad.

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I agree with most of what you said except Kone is not playing regularly for club. It's sporadic.

@Obinna

and this is my point.
I think it’s more glamorous that he’s playing on a winning/contending team that it gets camouflaged as if he’s playing regularly. He comes on, bounces around and “try’s a thing or two” - which sometimes it comes off and sometimes it comes back the other way.

“Elegant way he moves with the ball” is the swag/flair that I’m talking about my guy.

Priso pre-injury would be in contention for that same spot. Here’s hoping he finds a place that is going to let him play. 

4 hours ago, Sal333 said:

For sure. I think it's down to semantics, because when I said "regular" I didn't mean regular starter. I meant he's getting regular minutes. I can't recall off hand how many minutes he's gotten, but I believe he's on pace for 2,000 this season, which is regular minutes in my books. On the other hand, I would say someone like ZBG is getting sporatic minutes, not regular minutes (if that makes sense).

1 hour ago, Shway said:

@Obinna

and this is my point.
I think it’s more glamorous that he’s playing on a winning/contending team that it gets camouflaged as if he’s playing regularly. He comes on, bounces around and “try’s a thing or two” - which sometimes it comes off and sometimes it comes back the other way.

“Elegant way he moves with the ball” is the swag/flair that I’m talking about my guy.

Priso pre-injury would be in contention for that same spot. Here’s hoping he finds a place that is going to let him play. 

Okay I see what you mean, and that's fair. If Priso had the luxury of coming off the bench, or sporatically starting, for a team like Montreal, then maybe we'd him though a different lense, because when you are up a goal and make a mistake, nobody cares. If you do that with a struggling team that's down a goal, it's a different look. 

And yes, we should hope Colorado starts next season well and Priso earns a lot of minutes, to show what he can do. If he finds his pre-injury form he should be able to challenge Kone, or at least be a very capable back up. 

All of this said, I still suspect that Kone is going to be seen more favorably, all things being equal. Just the way he plays, whether we call it swag, flair or elegance. I say this strictly for comparitive purposes, but Priso to me is kind of like Weston McKennie, and Kone is more like Reyna, just in terms of how they play. Now, that's not the best comparison, but just highlighting how I see Priso more like a box-to-box guy who's good on both ends, whereas Kone has more, I don't know, flair I guess, even though I don't see him as a flair player. I think he's more capable defensively than Reyna or some other flair midfielders I could think of, yet he's not quite box-to-box in the mold of Priso, somehow. 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

but I believe he's on pace for 2,000 this season, which is regular minutes in my books.

I don't want to keep correcting you but no he's not on pace for 2K minutes. They have 4 games left and he has played 1.3K minutes so far this season.  He was not on the bench last game for disciplinary reasons. My guess is he might at best get 180 minutes between now and the end of the season. Nancy is a stern coach. That would put him at 1.5K minutes at best and quite honestly since his call up to the national team he has been disappointing for club. Mind you, I see why everyone is excited about this kid but he hasn't really put in one complete performance since Herdman put him on the team.

Edited by Sal333

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

I don't want to keep correcting you but no he's not on pace for 2K minutes. They have 4 games left and he has played 1.3K minutes so far this season.  He was not on the bench last game for disciplinary reasons. My guess is he might at best get 180 minutes between now and the end of the season. Nancy is a stern coach. That would put him at 1.5K minutes at best and quite honestly since his call up to the national team he has been disappointing for club. Mind you, I see why everyone is excited about this kid but he hasn't really put in one complete performance since Herdman put him on the team.

Thanks for the correction. If he gets to 1.5K minutes that's still respectable, and I am okay with not calling that "regular" minutes, though I wouldn't call those minutes "sporatic" either. Probably somewhere in between. 

By the way, how many minutes is Priso on pace for?