Aviv Solomon

Jith12

25 year old left-back back playing for Hapoel Kfar Saba in the Israeli Premier League. Eligible for Canada through his parents, he received a Canadian passport and was set to be called up to the national team for the March camp before it was cancelled. He also lived in Canada when he was younger. Also reportedly interested in a move to MLS after a successful season so far in Israel. Was recommended to Herdman by his agent.

The tweet says that he is 23, but all other sources say that he is born in January 1995.

(Credit to @GlassCity for mentioning this on Twitter first)

Nice find @GlassCity & @Jith12

This is interesting because Israel is ranked below us but does have decent depth in defence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_national_football_team

Spelling of his name in Hebrew: אביב סולומון

Has a Hebrew Wikipedia article. No English one (yet).

https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/אביב_סולומון

The article Glass City mentions on twitter (his source):

http://www.one.co.il/article/357450.html

The quote that all the Voyageurs will love haha:

"...ברור שהייתי מעדיף לשחק נבחרת ישראל" (Obviously, I'd prefer to play with the Israeli National Team...)

His current team Hapoel Kfar Saba, is also where longtime Vancouver Whitecaps player Gershon Koffie plays, maybe he spoke to him about living in Canada / playing in MLS.

Highlights video from his Facebook page with dramatic music:

http://www.facebook.com/aviv.solo/videos/2516284448586651/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

5 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Always glad to have another name in the fold, but this guy seems sub-Adekugbe -who already has a hard time making the squad.

Let's say he is a late-bloomer and that for the sake of argument, he has now reached Adekugbe's level, but isn't better than him (and won't progress any further). That is still useful for us. We need depth at every position.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Let's say he is a late-bloomer and has now reached Adekugbe level but will isn't better than him and won't progress further. That is still useful for us. We need depth at every position.

He can be the Davies back up for the next 5 years, until Davies education slides him into CM

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Bring him in for a look and some depth but I can't say his resume is great.  Where would he be if he were in say Germany?  3/4 tier?  

He'll need to really impress and be a level ahead of our other LBs.  Is he ahead of Cordova or Morgan even?

Never seen the guy play so hard to comment. In the last year Kaye, Davies, Adekugbe, and Bassong have played there, I can’t remember others off the top of my head. But Davies and Kaye get time there more than actual left backs. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/aviv-solomon/profil/spieler/312417

He was seemingly having his best season thus far, playing 23 times for Hapoel Kfar Saba and scoring a goal. 

Before Hapoel Kfar Saba he played with FC Ashdod, another modest Israeli top flight club. A few Nigerian internationals have gone through Ashdod early in their careers, and 22 year old Costa Rican international winger, Jimmy Marin, is currently on their books. Seems like a good place for young players to develop, so hopefully he learned some good things in his time there.

At FC Ashdod, Aviv Solomon made 29 league appearances over two seasons from 2017-2019, playing 16 games last season and 13 games the season prior, mostly all starts. Those are not mind blowing stats, but certainly not bad. 

Before that he played in Israel's second tier. 

Definitely seems like a player worth bringing in. I am not getting overly excited, but he does seem to be making a steady progression in his career, which is promising. I do not see why he can't compete against the likes of Miller, Adekugbe and Bassong. The more depth we have, the better. 

Edited by Obinna

Didnt Rickets go over and spend a year as a defender for Hapoel???  He stepped right in and was a starter and scored a goal as well from a fullback position (and he is no fullback).  Daniel Haber kicked around for a while (didnt make much headway) and he was at best a USL/CPL level player.  I dont know anything about that league, but those stories makes me a bit suspicious.  Would a starter there automatically go in over a fringe MLS/USL level player??  Ultimately Herdman will bring him into a camp and we'll see, maybe he'll be a diamond from the rough.   Its nice to have more options though.   

36 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt Rickets go over and spend a year as a defender for Hapoel???  He stepped right in and was a starter and scored a goal as well from a fullback position (and he is no fullback).  Daniel Haber kicked around for a while (didnt make much headway) and he was at best a USL/CPL level player.  I dont know anything about that league, but those stories makes me a bit suspicious.  Would a starter there automatically go in over a fringe MLS/USL level player??  Ultimately Herdman will bring him into a camp and we'll see, maybe he'll be a diamond from the rough.   Its nice to have more options though.   

Ricketts played with Hapoel Hafia, who are traditionally more of a mid-table club than Hapoel Kfar Saba, who seem to be like a yo-yo club historically. They won the top flight once and the second flight 5 times. Hapoel Hafia have played in Europe in recent memory. Most recently they were knocked out of the Europa League 3rd qualifying round by Atalanta. That was the 2018-19 season.

On some level we are splitting hairs, so your skepticism is perhaps warranted. The transfer market values are pretty close for both teams, and both have values somewhere between MLS and USL/CPL, but closer to the latter I would say. To play devil's advocate though, the team values in Norway are similar, so hard to draw conclusions either way.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt Rickets go over and spend a year as a defender for Hapoel???  He stepped right in and was a starter and scored a goal as well from a fullback position (and he is no fullback).  Daniel Haber kicked around for a while (didnt make much headway) and he was at best a USL/CPL level player.   

Milovan Kapor also spent some time in Israel.

Good players come out of and move on to bigger leagues everyday.  I'm not really concerned about Hafia etc.  I had never heard of Waterman a year ago and look where he is now eh?  Every player has his own story, his own path to the top, cream will rise.  Hopefully this isnt just a ploy with an agent to try and create buzz and break into north america etc.  Herdman will see pretty quick if he is at the level of the B squad guys we have now when Davies isnt at LB.  

Well,

53 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

We really don't have the depth at any position in the back line to be picky about where that depth comes from. 

2 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I’m not a big fan of him coming in. I’d rather have that spot go to a guy who’s always dreamed of playing for the NT, rather than some guy who wishes he could  play for Israel

I like the fact that it is user @JuicyHam who is the one who thinks giving the Israeli-Canadian a chance is the kosher thing to do! ;) 

(I'll see myself out) :D 

4 hours ago, Fullback said:

I’m not a big fan of him coming in. I’d rather have that spot go to a guy who’s always dreamed of playing for the NT, rather than some guy who wishes he could  play for Israel

The name Arfield comes to mind....not that I expect this guy to be half the player Scott is.

Do Scots regret the fact he joined our program, I wonder?

I like to think they do :)

On 4/18/2020 at 7:06 AM, Obinna said:

The name Arfield comes to mind....not that I expect this guy to be half the player Scott is.

Do Scots regret the fact he joined our program, I wonder?

I like to think they do :)

Some of my closest mates here in Melbourne are Scottish immigrants from Glasgow. None of them seem particularly put out by the fact that Scotty Arfield's now a Canuck.