Atlético Ottawa 2020 Season

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

3 fits left back so Zoom Langwa?

There are questions about what the 3 means (days until an announcement, number of players being announced, etc), and the team already has 2 left backs (Djaozandry and Neufville).

One name of note, whether part of this or otherwise, is Malcolm Shaw. He recently became mutual follows on instagram with Fisk, Hamilton, and Matt Zambonin (photographer at the team's Ottawa based training), while he also recently followed the team and the league. He also fits the bill of a Canadian forward (though more a left-wing), as was previously stated, and is out of contract.

Confirmation that it's a countdown, not a shirt number.

He's a right-footed black player, so it likely isn't Zoom or Kourouma since they're both left-footed and if it's our Canadian international striker it certainly isn't Humey or Haber. The case for Simeon grows :)

Edited by Zem

33 minutes ago, Zem said:

He's a right-footed black player, so it likely isn't Zoom or Kourouma since they're both left-footed and if it's our Canadian international striker it certainly isn't Humey or Haber. The case for Simeon grows :)

I believe Malcolm Shaw is right footed?

1 hour ago, Senorpopps said:

Is it me or does the leg in the first pic look a whole lot smaller than the leg in the second picture. Maybe it’s two different players?

You could be very right, the socks (and possibly cleats) look different as well

2 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

I believe Malcolm Shaw is right footed?

He'd be a cool signing, but I doubt they'd go through all this build-up for a guy who is completely unknown outisde Canucks Abroad and this forum

1 hour ago, Senorpopps said:

Is it me or does the leg in the first pic look a whole lot smaller than the leg in the second picture. Maybe it’s two different players?

27 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

You could be very right, the socks (and possibly cleats) look different as well

You guys may be on to something there; perhaps they'll be announcing three signings at once, and that's why they're counting down from three?

38 minutes ago, Zem said:

He'd be a cool signing, but I doubt they'd go through all this build-up for a guy who is completely unknown outisde Canucks Abroad and this forum

This is a good point. I do think Shaw will be signed / has been signed, but I've said before that he may not be linked to this announcement. On the other hand, there's been so little news, why not have this kind of build up for every signing they make going forward? But on the other other hand, there's only so much time before they theoretically need to start kicking off, it would make sense to bring in a bunch at once and announce a bunch at once. On the other other other hand, I don't think they've announced more than two at once up until now and that only happened once, if I remember right, so it would be going against their limited past precedent to announce a bunch. On the other other other other hand (I'm just being silly now), there's so little past precedent to base things on that it may not make any sense to rely on it.

Alternatively, everything I just wrote is complete nonsense (this is the most likely scenario)

So, I did some sleuthing and neither picture is using the boots Simeon wore this past season. He wears Nike Mercurial Superfly VII Elites, which have the big Nike swoosh on the inside and only a small one near the heel on the outside. Both of those tweets show the inside but neither have the big swoosh on them.

stevenage-vs-plymouth-argyle-sky-bet-efl

Of course, a veteran like Simeon probably has a lot of different boots and he may not want to bring the same match-day boots he was wearing on grass this past year to practices on an artificial pitch.

Now, the boots worn in the "2" tweet appear to be Nike Phantom Venoms (https://www.nike.com/ca/t/phantom-venom-elite-fg-football-boot-kkN635/AO7540-606 ), but I haven't really gotten anywhere with that info. Initially I was convinced it might be Glenn Muenkat (he did partly grow up in Ottawa, after all), but while he wore Nikes that look vaguely similar last season, they're definitely not the same boots.

I've gone through every out-of-contract CPL player who fits the description and none have worn boots in the past year that match that tweet, aside from those who don't have pictures from last season with their boots visible.That said, I think it's most likely that these are a brand-new pair of Phantom Venoms and it could therefore be anyone wearing them, as I imagine this particular design of Phantom Venoms might not have been out last year anyway.

I couldn't figure out the model of the boots in the "3" tweet, the striping makes them kinda look like an older model of Adidas boots, but not much to go off there. No out-of-contract CPL players I could find matching the description wore boots like those last season, either.

TL;DR: I spent a couple hours squinting at player photos and looking at dozens of different football boots for basically no reason

On 6/23/2020 at 10:05 AM, Zem said:

Confirmation that it's a countdown, not a shirt number.

So tornados generally represent someone fast and in a world of limited emojis that could very be what they are insinuating. Also, given how muscular zoom is, I could totally see this being him. Yes he is left footed but he can totally kick a ball with his right for a photo’s sake. Any takers?

52 minutes ago, RS said:

Like I said :D

On 6/23/2020 at 7:55 AM, Viruk42 said:

One name of note, whether part of this or otherwise, is Malcolm Shaw. He recently became mutual follows on instagram with Fisk, Hamilton, and Matt Zambonin (photographer at the team's Ottawa based training), while he also recently followed the team and the league. He also fits the bill of a Canadian forward (though more a left-wing), as was previously stated, and is out of contract.