Thomas McGill - (2000 keeper)

Sigma78

10 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Can't believe this is even a topic. He has a new contract with Brighton. They think highly enough of him to have him on the bench for most of the 2nd half of the year.

You definitely attempt to get a part of your team in the off chance he becomes a EPL starter. No offense to Breza or Siriois or anyone else but this isnt even a discussion. Third stringer isn't playing. You got to try to plan for the future.

The interesting question is what happens if Borjan doesn't retire from the CMNT and Crepeau is healthy

Seriously... I can't believe people get worked up over guys playing on other youth teams, but when a young PL keeper who his team clearly rates shows up out of no where, no one cares. Or, even worse, people are even questioning whether he's good or deserves a spot on the squad.

At this point, McGill has a better chance of being our post-Borjan long-term starter than anyone else given his age, current level, and his team's faith in him given his new contract. You'd think people would be a bit more excited about potentially having a PL starter as our keeper for the next decade...

58 minutes ago, Wasp said:

Seriously... I can't believe people get worked up over guys playing on other youth teams, but when a young PL keeper who his team clearly rates shows up out of no where, no one cares. Or, even worse, people are even questioning whether he's good or deserves a spot on the squad.

At this point, McGill has a better chance of being our post-Borjan long-term starter than anyone else given his age, current level, and his team's faith in him given his new contract. You'd think people would be a bit more excited about potentially having a PL starter as our keeper for the next decade...

I think they might loan him out, we get to see a season's worth, then both Brighton and Canada will be better able to gauge his worth.

You need to be playing regularly to be in the conversation for 1st and probably 2nd keeper in this stage of Canada soccer.  But for the third keeper, of course we can go for potential. Brighton see something.

Let's see how this year plays out but we complain about players not getting integrated and wanting to be with us.  Better late than never with him.

And worth remembering Brighton are fighting on 4 fronts this year, if they keep him with them.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

On 6/8/2023 at 9:41 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You need to be playing regularly to be in the conversation for 1st and probably 2nd keeper in this stage of Canada soccer.  But for the third keeper, of course we can go for potential. Brighton see something.

Very well said. I'll sound like a broken record here, but being good at practice vs being good in-game are two completely different things. Game management, communication with your defence, in-game adaptability and even confidence are all things bettered with game time, and this is what he needs ASAP. He needs to make those clumsy mistakes early, take some fat Ls, let in some stinkers, f* up some passes. This is how you learn to play.

At 23, soon 24, he can't be sitting on the bench and starting those 3-4 cup games. It's crucial! Just look at Dean Henderson who massively slowed down his progress by having one season sitting on the bench.

I think the 2 season contract is to send him on-loan this year and if he does well, they'll still be tied to him for the season after and can then re-assess his situation. But I hate judging him for his potential. I'll say it again but Desjardins at 20 years old and Breza have both been on the bench in serie A and it doesn't make them any better than Crepeau or DSC or even Sirois.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:33 PM, blueseeka said:

Can't believe this is even a topic....No offense to Breza or Siriois or anyone else but this isnt even a discussion.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:24 AM, Wasp said:

At this point, McGill has a better chance of being our post-Borjan long-term starter than anyone else given his age

This isn't 100% clear to me. You never know when the 3rd keeper will be needed. Freak accidents or injuries happen. You want your best.

----

Brighton could have started him on that last matchday, when the result didn't matter. The coach didn't.

MLS is still a higher level than League 2 England (4th tier) and Premier League 2 (Brighton U21).

Agree to disagree @blueseeka, but I don't think he is a clear #3 and there is far more ambiguity.

We want exciting dual nationals before their other nation calls them- well, this is what that looks like. We called in Koleosho before- let's be honest- 99% of us even saw him play a single minute and pretty much no one could even describe his game. The logical conclusion there is to encourage him to play for us and lock him in so he's ours when he gets good.

Same with McGill, except it's way lower pressure because honestly, if Borjan *and* St. Clair go down at Nations League- so losing one keeper a game- then we're probably not winning that final against the US with Sirois or Hasal or whoever in net anyways, so maybe McGill can pull a miracle, who knows.

Would be funny if Herdman gives Cornelius' injury spot to Sirois though.

34 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

What I thought was funny: when I first when to England and my new GP asked my weight, she couldn't visualise lbs.  She wanted stone or kilos.

Yep. That was my experience living there for 17 years as well. And during that period I could never visualise stones. Ultimately, switched to kilos (helped that I had a Belgian wife who thinks in those terms). 

Brighton are close to signing Anderlecht’s Bart Verbruggen. I’d imagine one of Steele or Sanchez goes (probably Sanchez) but that still makes McGill the third stringer without considering Carl Rushworth or Kjell Scherpen. Maybe McGill going out on loan is more likely than we think?

• 2 weeks later...

Mentioning that De Zerbi was a big factor is concerning for McGill. I had read something when a reporter asked him about McGill being the backup down the stretch, and he basically said "well my coaches say he's good", implying that he's never really seem him play himself. Could understand a head coach not taking the time to evaluate all of his keepers because maybe it isn't his area of focus, but if for this kid he's super involved, you have to think that maybe McGill isn't part of the plan. I hope he goes out on loan this season.

20 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I can't see any reason to give him an new deal if that isn't the plan, given recent developments. 

I guess he's too old to play in the PL developmental league, right? In that case, I hope that's the plan, and not to make him a 3rd string keeper that just doesn't play. Wonder where he goes though, since he has very little pro experience to base expectations off of.

19 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I guess he's too old to play in the PL developmental league, right? In that case, I hope that's the plan, and not to make him a 3rd string keeper that just doesn't play. Wonder where he goes though, since he has very little pro experience to base expectations off of.

A lot of third stringers I have seen in the Premier League recently have been veteran half coaches or even sentimental/change room roster inclusions. Who knows really what they are thinking but its a weird move to give him a new contract if that's a possibilty.  

58 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

hope am wrong 

but some Busti vibes here 

where he plays V how he plays 

Not sure I would say that, Busti is still 22, McGill is 24. 

McGill has 36 appearance for Brighton's u21s , Busti had 3 for the u23s before he was released from Juve.

McGill got a new contract a couple times when over 18. 

Juve is obviously a bigger club but McGill seems more in Brighton's plans (in some way) than Busti ever was.  

13 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure I would say that, Busti is still 22, McGill is 24. 

McGill has 36 appearance for Brighton's u21s , Busti had 3 for the u23s before he was released from Juve.

McGill got a new contract a couple times when over 18. 

Juve is obviously a bigger club but McGill seems more in Brighton's plans (in some way) than Busti ever was.  

Quick correction here - McGill turned 23 somewhat recently (March birthday I believe) so there's still a ways to go before he's 24.

Even if Brighton doesn't have McGill pegged as a future piece for their first team, you would hope they could loan him out and then sell him somewhere for a profit. For the sake of argument, let's say he follows a similar path as Millar and ends up as a starter in the Swiss league. Wouldn't that still make him the Canadian GK playing at the highest level?

That's why I'm so high on McGill. Even if he ends up settling a level or two below the PL, given our current GK depth chart, he still has a very good chance of ending up our best option post-Borjan.