Thomas McGill - (2000 keeper)

Sigma78

11 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Great… lets see how much they play him lol.  We have GK’s in our depth chart with at a minimum 20-30+ mls games on their CV, until TMG starts playing why should he warrant a spot over them?  Just my two cents.  

I don't disagree with you and honestly Sirois should have been called up instead of McGill

The quote is, "I don't think there'll be a better goalkeeper than him in possession in Canada."

He's talking about a particular aspect of goalkeeping. While it's a bit silly to make such a bold statement without actually knowing the full goalkeeping pool for us, considering the way that Brighton play, I suspect that he's probably not far wrong. Borjan, Crepeau, and DSC are shot stoppers. None of them are particularly great playing the ball with their feet.

I tried reading the article this morning and couldn’t get passed the paywall- I also wasn’t sure if they meant he’s our best keeper in our possession or in possession of the ball.

That said, hopefully that article has a snippet about their intention to loan him out in January, because while having a young BHA keeper in our depth chart is good, he’s turning 24 next March and should probably start playing professional ball one of these days. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 3:30 PM, Bigandy said:

It's too bad that a GK with possession skills is little to no value when half of the fields we play on wont allow the ball to roll on the ground properly. 

We don't need a keepers exceptional possession skills to beat the minnows with crap pitches, we've passed that stage and are better than that.  However, we can use those skills vs the better teams who also have better fields.

On 1/9/2024 at 7:21 PM, costarg said:

We don't need a keepers exceptional possession skills to beat the minnows with crap pitches, we've passed that stage and are better than that.  However, we can use those skills vs the better teams who also have better fields.

I mean, thats kind of my point. Theres some challenges. If mcgills #1 competitve edge over max is his feet, then we should not pick mcgill for concacaf games and instead go with the better shot stopper. So does that mean when we play against argentina we want to switch up our #1 because the pitch is better? Tough ask but basically any gk with possession skills will always be a luxury as opposed to a main criteria when picking your #1

1 hour ago, BLennard said:

https://youtu.be/0qZFu4QJNQU?si=baFo1oMQnPlV2KB-

From his last game, I'd say his shot stopping is much better than his feet. Looks like he wanted to create his own highlight reel. 

Jokes aside, he had a really busy evening and won his team the match. Hopefully this puts some eyes on him for a loan out.

Looked like quite the game from him for sure, a loan would be ideal for him. Fingers crossed that can happen this window.

2 hours ago, BLennard said:

https://youtu.be/0qZFu4QJNQU?si=baFo1oMQnPlV2KB-

From his last game, I'd say his shot stopping is much better than his feet. Looks like he wanted to create his own highlight reel. 

Jokes aside, he had a really busy evening and won his team the match. Hopefully this puts some eyes on him for a loan out.

Yeah, what in the world was he doing with those passes...lol

Makes Borjan look like Pele

• 2 weeks later...