Thomas McGill - (2000 keeper)

Sigma78

31 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

McGill.  Apparently.  Herdman throwing a curveball.  

3 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

McGill is there because he has 11 caps with England’s Youth teams and to cap tie him.

34 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

A lot of surprises there… Tom McGill??

Just now, Bison44 said:

Who knew he even was serious about repping Canada??  This is good news as long as its not a Koleosho type sight seeing camp visit.  

McGill would need to file a switch to rep us.

Unless he was invited in "exploratory/training player" mode like Koleosho was, he is now cap-tied to Canada.

2 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I was hoping for Odunze or Goodman for the 3rd goalie. I have no idea who is better between the 3 of them so I am happy to throw this call up out there.

Would be shocked if either accept a call up from us. odunze seems very firmly in the US camp, and Goodman can legitimately make the England team a few years down the line.

1 hour ago, Footyeh said:

The idea that we need to cap-tie this player is hilarious.  He's not had one professional minute and we're worried that England will call him up?!😅

The future of our national team is in danger without him. I’m not worried I’m terrified.

Kidding 

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Would be shocked if either accept a call up from us. odunze seems very firmly in the US camp, and Goodman can legitimately make the England team a few years down the line.

That’s the thing with the keeper position…there’s only 1 spot. The USMNT has 3 keepers entering their prime years at 27. They also have the highly rated 18yo in Solonia coming out of nowhere.

I think it’s not far gone for both those guys, and will come down to time. They aren’t starting, so no “decisions” need to be made.

4 hours ago, Footyeh said:

The idea that we need to cap-tie this player is hilarious.  He's not had one professional minute and we're worried that England will call him up?!😅

In the short-to-medium-term it was about him choosing Canada over no international football at all. He wasn't getting England U21 calls.

In the long-term, you just never know what can happen.

58 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

In the short-to-medium-term it was about him choosing Canada over no international football at all. He wasn't getting England U21 calls.

In the long-term, you just never know what can happen.

These are excellent points sir.

Also, his career path is not that dissimilar to Borjan's. Borjan did not get his 1st professional start till 22, and was not a regular till he was in his mid to late 20'. Look at him  now. That being said, McGill is a 3rd string goalie for this window. This is probably a get to know you experience. 

Also,  I'm not comparing him to one of our most accomplished goalies in Borjan, but just pointing that goalies are weird and can develop super late.   So lets not panic yall. 

Nice little Canadian Press article by Neil Davidson about McGill.

Was in the Belleville-Trenton area until age 4 and his father still lives there. His father grew up in Wawa and his grandfather currently lives in Gravenhurst.

He mostly grew up in Haywards Heath in England so both Brighton (and his former loan to Crawley Town) were really close.

https://chatnewstoday.ca/2023/03/23/young-brighton-goalkeeper-enjoying-first-taste-of-camp-with-canadian-national-team/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I hope he gets himself a nice loan in the summer. BHA have Robert Sanchez who is still only 25 and was on Spain’s WC roster, so they’re pretty set in goal for the next little while. 

it seems his team wins a lot more when he’s playing than not. That said, you have to go all the way back to last April to find his last clean sheet. Not sure if that’s more a product of what I imagine to be less than stellar defence in PL2 though.

16 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Nice little Canadian Press article by Neil Davidson about McGill.

Was in the Belleville-Trenton area until age 4 and his father still lives there. His father grew up in Wawa and his grandfather currently lives in Gravenhurst.

He mostly grew up in Haywards Heath in England so both Brighton (and his former loan to Crawley Town) were really close.

https://chatnewstoday.ca/2023/03/23/young-brighton-goalkeeper-enjoying-first-taste-of-camp-with-canadian-national-team/

The article says Herdman is sitting out the first game with a red- is this new? I thought only AJ and Edwards got a red last game.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks for posting that.  I don't follow EPL (only our NT and the players who are around it).  I didn't know Brighton was in the EPL, I thought they were League Two or something.

So all the while I am wondering why we are picking a guy who can't even make a League Two team over one of our MLS guys.  Thanks for the headsup  :)

3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Thanks for posting that.  I don't follow EPL (only our NT and the players who are around it).  I didn't know Brighton was in the EPL, I thought they were League Two or something.

So all the while I am wondering why we are picking a guy who can't even make a League Two team over one of our MLS guys.  Thanks for the headsup  :)

Bruh 🤣

On 3/16/2023 at 4:06 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

McGill would need to file a switch to rep us.

Unless he was invited in "exploratory/training player" mode like Koleosho was, he is now cap-tied to Canada.

I’m like 99% sure if he doesn’t play, he can go back to England. You need to actually play for the one time switch to take affect.

22 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

They’re a good team. Finished 9th last year, this year they’re 7th, 5 points out of Europe, even with Liverpool and 4 points up from Chelsea. McGill is very far from being their goalie now or in the near future, but on the off chance that he became a regular at BHA, he’d be closer to Davies/David/Eustaquio than the end of the roster as far as “make sure to keep an eye on these guys” goes.

19 hours ago, archer21 said:

I’m like 99% sure if he doesn’t play, he can go back to England. You need to actually play for the one time switch to take affect.

So does this mean he has conditionally filed a one time switch(the condition is the cap).

I would imagine he would have had to file the switch already or we would forfeit by playing him? 

2 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

So does this mean he has conditionally filed a one time switch(the condition is the cap).

I would imagine he would have had to file the switch already or we would forfeit by playing him? 

He must have filed his switch.

It actually sounds like he filed his switch some time ago because he mentions being on the provisional roster prior to this call-up.

That means Herdman (logically) rates Borjan, St. Clair, Pantemis and Crépeau above him and he really got the call because Crépeau and Pantemis are out of action.

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He must have filed his switch.

It actually sounds like he filed his switch some time ago because he mentions being on the provisional roster prior to this call-up.

That means Herdman (logically) rates Borjan, St. Clair, Pantemis and Crépeau above him and he really got the call because Crépeau and Pantemis are out of action.

This is interesting. If he can find minutes in the championship next season he will shoot up that list in no time.