Thomas McGill - (2000 keeper)

Sigma78

53 minutes ago, jordan said:

Crazy this is a 2 pager when other prospects no one has watched, or have seen, or heard of have 44 pager’s

Why, who even knew he was on board?  I dont remember an Ugbo thread either, until "surprise", they announced him.  To be honest I havent seen anything but some highlights and got mixed up and saw his name but thought it was the kid from crystal palace.  But hey, glad to have him on board, and hopefully he'll develop into an EPL keeper.  Havnt had one of those in a long long time.  

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Why, who even knew he was on board?  I dont remember an Ugbo thread either, until "surprise", they announced him.  To be honest I havent seen anything but some highlights and got mixed up and saw his name but thought it was the kid from crystal palace.  But hey, glad to have him on board, and hopefully he'll develop into an EPL keeper.  Havnt had one of those in a long long time.  

Ugbo was mentioned on this board well before the “surprise”, my surprise was there wasnt as much overreaction 

On 3/24/2023 at 1:20 PM, Bigandy said:

So does this mean he has conditionally filed a one time switch(the condition is the cap).

I would imagine he would have had to file the switch already or we would forfeit by playing him? 

He would have “filed his switch” but FIFA doesn’t actually use that language. He would’ve been approved to switch countries, but until he actually plays, it doesn’t take effect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, jordan said:

Ideal standings for a start on Sunday vs Villa. IMG_8978.jpeg.6746ab21ef88c86ac06f43bdb938dcde.jpeg

1 hour ago, ahmedou said:

McGill on the bench vs Manchester City.

The game did finish 1-1.

Therefore Brighton will be guaranteed 6th place regardless of what happens on the last of the Premier League season (this Sunday).

I think his contract might but up at the end of the season:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/tom-mcgill/profil/spieler/406556

A start with the first team might be a good way to see if they want to offer him a new contract, especially with an additional 6 Europa League Group Stage games in their schedule.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

On 5/18/2023 at 2:47 PM, scullion44 said:

Has been on the bench past few games. Pretty cool for him.

He's on the bench because David Sanchez threw a strop recently after being second choice for a couple months.  The latter refused to travel with the team is the story.

Can't imagine the Spanish keeper will have a future with Brighton so maybe good news for Goodman.  Though stranger things have happen (I think of Kepa).

As mentioned, Brighton are locked in 6th going into the last game vs. Villa.

41 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Wait, do you mean Robert Sánchez?

What?

Sorry mate, all over the place. Back in Canada trying to buy a house.

Yes Robert, sorry. Must have combined him with David Raya, the other Spanish keeper that is with a Premier League club doing surprisingly well this year.

If Sanchez doesn't have a future with them, McGill has a better chance of holding a place. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

As as follow-up to my absolute dog's breakfast of a post Thursday, Tottenham who had interest before  he was dropped, are supposed to be close to signing Robert Sanchez.  

Would really like to see McGill play more; Sanchez doesn't have the ball-playing skills needed for Brighton's style of play according to his manager.  Maybe that means McGill might have some strength there (or he was just the one available after Steele). 

Worth remembering McGill is 23, not a whole lot of reason to keep him unless you think he will be your #2 (I guess he is home-grown for Europe, where Brighton will be next year). They have another keeper the same age who was on loan at Vitesse all this season. 

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

As as follow-up to my absolute dog's breakfast of a post Thursday, Tottenham who had interest before  he was dropped, are supposed to be close to signing Robert Sanchez.  

Would really like to see McGill play more; Sanchez doesn't have the ball-playing skills needed for Brighton's style of play according to his manager.  Maybe that means McGill might have some strength there (or he was just the one available after Steele). 

Worth remembering McGill is 23, not a whole lot of reason to keep him unless you think he will be your #2 (I guess he is home-grown for Europe, where Brighton will be next year). They have another keeper the same age who was on loan at Vitesse all this season. 

Would have to think at this point they see something for him. Even if he left he should get a spot somewhere.

Does he really deserve a spot on the Nation's League roster (Even as a #3) if he hasn't played a single minute of professional football this season?  I get the hype that he's on the bench for a Premier League team but he's 23 and hasn't played more than 369 minutes at the pro level and that was in 2020...  Couldn't give this to Sirois?  Or even Breza since he's atleast playing Serie C.  Even another Canadian GK playing at a lower level like CPL.  

4 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Does he really deserve a spot on the Nation's League roster (Even as a #3) if he hasn't played a single minute of professional football this season?  I get the hype that he's on the bench for a Premier League team but he's 23 and hasn't played more than 369 minutes at the pro level and that was in 2020...  Couldn't give this to Sirois?  Or even Breza since he's atleast playing Serie C.  Even another Canadian GK playing at a lower level like CPL.  

Purely based on merit?... probably not but perhaps McGill is highly rated by Brighton and if Montreal is playing during the NL week it may be better for Sirois to stay with his team vs being on the bench. The same may apply to Choiniere btw.

Would think he’s the number 2 or on loan next year, there’s a chance he ends up being pretty good and I don’t mind the idea of having a young EPL goalie on our squad in the event he gets games. Could be the next Henderson or the next Busti..

Can't believe this is even a topic. He has a new contract with Brighton. They think highly enough of him to have him on the bench for most of the 2nd half of the year.

You definitely attempt to get a part of your team in the off chance he becomes a EPL starter. No offense to Breza or Siriois or anyone else but this isnt even a discussion. Third stringer isn't playing. You got to try to plan for the future.

The interesting question is what happens if Borjan doesn't retire from the CMNT and Crepeau is healthy

9 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Can't believe this is even a topic. He has a new contract with Brighton. They think highly enough of him to have him on the bench for most of the 2nd half of the year.

You definitely attempt to get a part of your team in the off chance he becomes a EPL starter. No offense to Breza or Siriois or anyone else but this isnt even a discussion. Third stringer isn't playing. You got to try to plan for the future.

The interesting question is what happens if Borjan doesn't retire from the CMNT and Crepeau is healthy

Agreed. When McGill was called back in March I was a little upset about it but since then I’ve heard nothing but good things about him from those who have actually seen him play (not I). If he’s sitting on the bench and getting a multi year extension with a club that qualified for Europe then we need to pay attention. If he can be 2nd for an EPL club he can be 3rd for us. 

Remember, all it will take is one half-decent start for Brighton and this board will start calling him the heir apparent to Borjan.