Aribim Pepple

Dominic94

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

I think we're pumping up Pepple too much right now.

He's been a pro since 2019, had one good stretch with Cavalry and has been utterly ineffective in every other professional environment he's been in so far. He is young but he has had no stability so far and deciding to try Europe again after failing the first time around instead of staying and playing with Cavalry probably wasn't the best option. We'll see what happens but it looks like he might have a third stint with Cavalry in the near future.

When he went to Getafe u-19 after Cavalry he was not "utterly ineffective". He was solid, even scoring, on a solid u-19 team at the top level in Spain. The problem was simple, that was his level. He still needed development, coaching, minutes. Then he promptly spent an entire year without a team, which is bonehead. He should have gone anywhere just to play, to get 30 games in.

You can't rely on potential, and his path has not been smooth or logical as you rightly say. And I also agree with you that he's mostly jumped too high up based on positive reviews, overreaching, instead of pacing himself better to get to where he needs to be as a solid pro.

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

When he went to Getafe u-19 after Cavalry he was not "utterly ineffective". He was solid, even scoring, on a solid u-19 team at the top level in Spain. The problem was simple, that was his level. He still needed development, coaching, minutes. Then he promptly spent an entire year without a team, which is bonehead. He should have gone anywhere just to play, to get 30 games in.

You can't rely on potential, and his path has not been smooth or logical as you rightly say. And I also agree with you that he's mostly jumped too high up based on positive reviews, overreaching, instead of pacing himself better to get to where he needs to be as a solid pro.

He also seems to score a lot when he plays for Luton's U21 team.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, VinceA said:

The dudes agent needs to be fired. Two goes at Europe and he's failed both. The whole tike he could have been banging in goals for Cavalry and improving all around.

It's almost like his agent is like "hey I got you there"....but not realizing it was horrible situations for his development.

Less we forget, he has UK citizenship so it should be "easy" to get him in a good situation.  

Luton is  clearly looking to add a punch to their lineup to get out the relegation zone by adding Pepple to the lineup

Seriously though, I agree with those who posted before, poor decision by agent pushing the move too early, but also if it was a huge pay raise, I definitely get the move as well

Edited by rydermike

TBH, his agent deserves a raise. Its ludicrous that pepple got signed to a prem team. Maybe not the best for his long term development... (although you could argue that being around a prem side is more valuable than playing games in the cpl....)
however hes much more marketable after being signed to a prem team, likely got a huge payday comparatively, and is still young enough that he can go back to CPL and have a fine career. 

11 hours ago, VinceA said:

The dudes agent needs to be fired. Two goes at Europe and he's failed both. The whole tike he could have been banging in goals for Cavalry and improving all around.

There's no way anyone is going to turn down a move to an English Premiership club so he can hone his skills in CanPL for longer instead. Any fault involved in this situation is with the competence of Luton Town's scouting staff.

He wouldn’t have been the first player to come out of obscurity and climb his way through the English pyramid step by step, I don’t blame the agent for the move. I think he did have an assist in like his first game with Grimsby, and then not much happened from there on out. I think he needs to come back to Canada and spend a couple years lighting up the CPL before trying to move back overseas. He’s still only 21. Still plenty of time to develop into a good player. 

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Shway said:

well isn't the SPFL (outside of Celtic and Rangers) considered EFL League 1 level here?
So then maybe the Championship is like National League.

At that point, he's at his level.🙄

This loan may reveal a lot about where Pepple is at.

With Grimsby Town in League Two he scored 0 goals, but he's young and it was his first loan, so whatever. With Bromley he dropped a level down, played less games and scored 0 goals. That's more concerning. If he drops a dud here I will be seriously concerned, but if he blows the doors off I can forgive the first two loans and chalk it up to growing pains. 

Does success here set him up for a higher level loan next season, maybe in the SPL or League One? I think he's going to have to impress with that calibre of loan to get a real chance at Luton Town, who will probably be in the English Championship next season. Even if he scores 10 or more goals here I can't see that translating to minutes with Luton. 

Good for him. I would assume he has a spot saved for him somewhere in the CPL, so the fact that he chose to play in Scotland instead means he’s still holding on to making it in Europe. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

With Grimsby Town in League Two he scored 0 goals, but he's young and it was his first loan, so whatever. With Bromley he dropped a level down, played less games and scored 0 goals. That's more concerning. If he drops a dud here I will be seriously concerned, but if he blows the doors off I can forgive the first two loans and chalk it up to growing pains. 

Does success here set him up for a higher level loan next season, maybe in the SPL or League One? I think he's going to have to impress with that calibre of loan to get a real chance at Luton Town, who will probably be in the English Championship next season. Even if he scores 10 or more goals here I can't see that translating to minutes with Luton. 

From what I inferred from his playing time and what fans are saying, I wonder what goes on in training. He had an assist or two for Grimsby and then never played and when they brought in new players during the transfer window I don’t even think he made the bench after. Barely played with Bromley as well. It seems like these clubs don’t even trust him enough to give him any sort of run. On the other hand, it seems like he’s scored a decent amount for Luton’s U21s. But all this points to him maybe struggling with basic tactical assignments and understanding the game? 

I think success for him is going to look more like what we’re seeing with Theo Corbeanu now but on a smaller scale. Maybe he goes from Scottish Championship to a smaller SPFL club, does well, Luton sells him to, I dunno, a team in Sweden, he does well there and maybe ends up in Belgium or Germany or somewhere. He’s obviously very talented, but he may not have the technical skill or game IQ for managers to trust him. the National League is no joke of a league, but the fact that he wasn’t able to play consistently with Bromley does point to potential significant issues with coaches trusting him in competitive games. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

TLDR:

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Its not a great level but he needs to show something.

Still young, hopefully gets chance to develop.

:)

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Good for him. I would assume he has a spot saved for him somewhere in the CPL, so the fact that he chose to play in Scotland instead means he’s still holding on to making it in Europe. 

From what I inferred from his playing time and what fans are saying, I wonder what goes on in training. He had an assist or two for Grimsby and then never played and when they brought in new players during the transfer window I don’t even think he made the bench after. Barely played with Bromley as well. It seems like these clubs don’t even trust him enough to give him any sort of run. On the other hand, it seems like he’s scored a decent amount for Luton’s U21s. But all this points to him maybe struggling with basic tactical assignments and understanding the game? 

I think success for him is going to look more like what we’re seeing with Theo Corbeanu now but on a smaller scale. Maybe he goes from Scottish Championship to a smaller SPFL club, does well, Luton sells him to, I dunno, a team in Sweden, he does well there and maybe ends up in Belgium or Germany or somewhere. He’s obviously very talented, but he may not have the technical skill or game IQ for managers to trust him. the National League is no joke of a league, but the fact that he wasn’t able to play consistently with Bromley does point to potential significant issues with coaches trusting him in competitive games. 

It might even be more simple than that. Maybe it's just that he didn't score.

You know how these things go, you score on your debut, you get a run out next game.

You score again, you're 2-for-2, now you have the managers trust for a few games.

Score another goal in the next 3 matches? You're 3 for 5 now, and you're definitely getting an extended run in the team.

This is true regardless of age. Look at Ugbo at Cardiff City. Maybe he underwealmed in some aspects, but he scored early and often, which earned him more and more chances. Once his goals dried up, so did his minutes.

Unlike Ugbo, Pepple didn't score at any point, unfortunately, so perhaps he didn't give himself a chance.