Antoine Coupland

15 year old made his pro debut for Ottawa Fury tonight.  I believe that makes him the third youngest Canadian pro after Phonz and Marshall-Rutty.  

Anyone know anything about this kid?  He was just signed a few weeks ago but how has he not been called to the U17s?  

45 minutes ago, BCM said:

Because he's not connected with Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal...obviously.

He can still be on the team, just not for this camp.

As the old saying goes: "the younger the better" it's exciting to see him getting debut minutes for Ottawa!

5 hours ago, Kent said:

I hadn't heard of him before this morning, but according to this he is a midfielder.

https://www.ottawafuryfc.com/antoine-coupland

He's very slight but pretty quick.  Not sure how many opportunities he'll get this season but good on Popovic for bringing him on late last night especially as the team was 4-0 up.  I think a lot of friends/family were at the stadium which might have helped.

Edited by JamboAl

21 hours ago, JamboAl said:

He's very slight but pretty quick.  Not sure how many opportunities he'll get this season but good on Popovic for bringing him on late last night especially as the team was 4-0 up.  I think a lot of friends/family were at the stadium which might have helped.

If that's the case I don't think Boskovic' family comes to visit Ottawa a lot...

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, jordan said:

Would think it’s friendly due to FIFA rules on minors? At least a month ago, looks like Parmar was there to witness it

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

How recent is this?  RB Leipzig u17s haven't played  Hoffenheim in a while.

Well I assume this was in mid-November because that is when the tweet is dated. 

10 hours ago, jordan said:

I don’t know how I missed this, likely just a training stint.

He's been on trial with a couple German clubs recently. I believe that Eintracht Frankfurt was the other club. With the Fury folding he's probably looking for a team, so it's likely that they're trials rather than just training stints. He probably has a European passport considering that he has had European trials in the past.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I haven’t really seen Coupland play. For anyone who has, how good of a prospect is he really? Must be skilled if he was given a couple run outs with Fury at 15. Is he more of a passer, dribbler, does he beat defenders with pace? I always just assumed he was an attacking midfielder based on his size, is that correct?

When I seen him at the island games, I thought he look like what he was. A boy playing against men. He looked nervous on the ball, was easily muscled off the ball I wasn’t impressed by that game, however I’ll assume that it was a bad game for him and that he’s wasn’t just a very fortunate 15yo.

I also saw why he didn’t make the U17 team. 

• 9 months later...