The Road to Qatar.

Binky

2 hours ago, Ngravs said:

I have a somewhat controversial question. If Canada was to qualify at home in March, what are the odds that fans would rush the field after the final whistle? I see this being done in College but never or very rarely in professionals sports. I was just watching the 86 clinching game and people rushed to celebrate with the players (obviously things were different back then). I also realize that the game was not in a "stadium" and it would be more difficult/"dangerous" to get on at BMO or wherever the game is.  

are you advocating for an epic pitch invasion??? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFynSbgbzeQ 3:24 is the final whistle

Edited by sose

Keep on having to revive this thread, was on the 4th page.

It is a bit of a shame we can't clinch this window, even winning in ES, for one simple reason: we can't plan for a celebration next window.

For March we will still need 3-4 points, or maybe a rival result, so we are obliged to plan it with the same rigour as the previous. Even though by the Jamaica match at home we may be qualified and it could be a party, we can't plan it that way. 

That basically means that Vancouver is out for a March home match vs. Jamaica, which is a shame. We will have to calculate in function of ideal travel and venues. 

Unless the CSA and Herdman say what the hell, which I think would be irresponsible. 

Our travel is in fact harder next window, deeper into Central America. We also may be facing a Costa Rica away with a real shot of taking the 4th spot from Panama (if Panama loses to Mexico and CR beats Jamaica, that puts the latter just one point off with 3 matches to play). While we may be qualified, Panama may need a result going into the final match and we cannot give that away, we have to compete for the integrity of the competition.

I don't mind if we go to Montreal, they deserve it and the CSA should show some character in that regard (I think they cower when it comes to Québec at times). 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

37 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Yeah it'll definitely be in BMO given travel and grass/weather will be fine by then. Would love for the CSA to look into expanded seating even just for that match, it'll be a fucking party and a half 

The demand for that game  will be massive.  I honestly feel  we could fill a 100K facility in March with the amount of attention this team has attracted. The chance of being there when Canada qualifies for Qatar will appeal to almost everyone especially the fashionable crowd in TO

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The demand for that game  will be massive.  I honestly feel  we could fill a 100K facility in March with the amount of attention this team has attracted. The chance of being there when Canada qualifies for Qatar will appeal to almost everyone especially the fashionable crowd in TO

Thats a scary thought.  I know there has been a lot of discussions here of the nature:   “What if the game was more popular”,  “what if we can grow our group”,  “What if we could get 80-100K”. Etc etc.   but after seeing what it was like getting tickets for Hamilton my views are chnaging very fast.

if all that comes to fruition, we are screwed.  We will be up against bots, we will be forced to buy scalped tickets,   We will have to be on our computer at an exact time day and be fast on the keyboard, and We wont be able to go to games…. Etc.   tahts not what i want.   The availablity of the game is one of the things that attracted me to the game.   The scarcity of NHL tickets is why i dont go to hockey games.   

bring back the days when no one cared about canadian soccer.   Its what worked best for us.  😄

Edited by Free kick

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I actually wanted to initially suggest the possibility of Rogers Centre just for the bigger venue, but didn't want to kickstart the "put it in Vancouver" crowd. I think we can expect it to be in Toronto or maybe Montreal if they could get the lines right at the big O. But also I'm pretty sure people brought up the Rogers Centre turf isn't Fifa quality anymore 

56 minutes ago, Free kick said:

if all that comes to fruition, we are screwed.  We will be up against bots, we will be forrced to buy scalped tickets,   We wont be able to go to games…. Etc.   tahts not what i want.   The availablity of the game is one of the things that attracted me to the game.   The scarcity of NHL tickets is why i dont go to hockey games.

With regards to this, this is where the V's big dogs do Gods work for us. By and large it seemed like most people from this forum were able to get tickets quite easily even with all the challenges. As long as Canada Soccer and the true supporters can keep living harmoniously I don't think it'd be an issue. Perhaps tiering V's memberships may need to be considered though. But I do think the days of buying 10-20 seats per V may be behind us

From El Noido's WCQ simulations: 

image.png.3540dde5e1d80cffad8e5b52ab0eecef.png

If you had told me at the beginning of the Ocho that we'd have about the same % chance at the interconfederation spot as Jamaica, I'd say that sounds about right. But I never expected in my wildest dreams that that would be because we have an overwhelming chance of qualifying directly with still 4 games to go.

Would BMO Field put up those temporary stands like they had for the MLS Cup , Grey Cup and even the Winter Classic ? I mean if it comes down to the Jamaica game where like a tie would qualify us for the World Cup I’m sure they could put another 5000 or more temporary stands and fill that place up. They could just leave them up for the rest of the season , with Insigne and hopefully Giovinco back there would be a lot of TFC games where they could pack that place it would be worth it for them in the end .

Edited by SoccMan

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If we beat El Salvador and Panama loses to Mexico, the game should be played in one of Vancouver, Winnipeg, or Atlantic Canada. Qualification will be virtually secured, and the impetus of saving a couple of hours of plane travel will be insignificant. 

We can do that for Nations League maybe - we need to win out and get FIFA points to move into Pot 3. I dont want care to throw any games away just because we have qualified. 

5 hours ago, Free kick said:

Thats a scary thought.  I know there has been a lot of discussions here of the nature:   “What if the game was more popular”,  “what if we can grow our group”,  “What if we could get 80-100K”. Etc etc.   but after seeing what it was like getting tickets for Hamilton my views are chnaging very fast.

if all that comes to fruition, we are screwed.  We will be up against bots, we will be forced to buy scalped tickets,   We will have to be on our computer at an exact time day and be fast on the keyboard, and We wont be able to go to games…. Etc.   tahts not what i want.   The availablity of the game is one of the things that attracted me to the game.   The scarcity of NHL tickets is why i dont go to hockey games.   

bring back the days when no one cared about canadian soccer.   Its what worked best for us.  😄

and that is a "perfect damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario...get tickets to see an underperforming national vs. maybe get tickets to a performing national side.

I'd say invest in the Voyageurs vision I see throughout this site, and see what happens.  Free-market will probably be awful, so any chance at an early-investment benefit shared amongst your friends will be at least understandable, and definitely be preferable.

2 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Nobody said anything about throwing games away. We can play to win in places other than Toronto, you know, right?

My point is, saying that "We've qualified and can now take the chance to move games around because they're not critical" is taking our foot of the gas which we dont need right. We need to act like those three matches next windows are must win. 

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

My point is, saying that "We've qualified and can now take the chance to move games around because they're not critical" is taking our foot of the gas which we dont need right. We need to act like those three matches next windows are must win. 

And I'm saying that playing in places other than Toronto doesn't change our ability to treat them as must wins.