Diyaeddine Abzi

shamrock

He's on the bench for Leganés, still leader in Spanish 2nd, away to chilly Andorra, a km high.

Andorra is a case like Vaduz in Lichtenstein, which participates in the Swiss league. In this case, Gerard Pique bought a license from another team and sent it up there. But the population is so sparse, and the national stadium where they play is small, that it probably does not make full sense to be there. The national government does not want to expand the stadium because they really don't need more capacity (5000, population is 80,000 plus tourists, you could take your family skiing/shopping and go see a game). Sure, taxes are low and there are other advantages, but it is really an oddity, an interesting experiment and experience for Pique in football management, but probably not sustainable going forward.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Didn't get on as Leganés won again tonight, now six points clear at the top of the 2nd Division. Only did 3 subs, they use a short squad. Frustrating.

Best defence in the league, best goal difference. They've been in top flight before but are nowhere near favourites to promote, so their season is exceptional.

Thee has to be way, hopefully soon, to improve the level of CPL so our better guys have a better shot even in lower European leagues. I never realized that Petraso was in the 5th tier. Wow.

20 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Thee has to be way, hopefully soon, to improve the level of CPL so our better guys have a better shot even in lower European leagues. I never realized that Petraso was in the 5th tier. Wow.

I think National League South would be 6th on the pyramid.

10 minutes ago, jdheid said:

Abzi did well enough in Ligue 2 to generate interest from Leganes. As they're pushing hard for promotin to La Liga, minutes will be tough to come by.

I wonder were he goes next season? He's still owned by Pau and I'm sure he's gained a lot being part of a group with promotion aspirations but he needs to play. Maybe to another La Liga 2 team if Leganes go up or if they don't and Franquesa gets poached they replace him with Abzi?

8 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

I wonder were he goes next season? He's still owned by Pau and I'm sure he's gained a lot being part of a group with promotion aspirations but he needs to play. Maybe to another La Liga 2 team if Leganes go up or if they don't and Franquesa gets poached they replace him with Abzi?

I think he'll get minutes this season, but it is obviously not very much so far. I think the deal was that his salary at Pau was low enough they could bring him in and put him at 2nd division minimum salary, which is 93,000 euros. So a roster piece.

I see Pau is 5th in Ligue 2, which puts them in a promotion playoff position (first two go up direct, 3-5 go into a playoff with the 16th team in Ligue 1). So that is an interesting and unexpected scenario, that his loan could end and he'd find himself on a Ligue 1 team. Possibly after promoting to La Liga with Leganés.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

10 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Youth development pathways will need to improve significantly and more of the best athletes will need to gravitate towards soccer to the extent they do in most European countries before there will be something close to parity in that regard. CanPL can call itself a D1 in the same sort of way the top Hungarian league does but that isn't going to make it a peer of the Big 5 leagues in any meaningful way if the substance isn't there in playing standards terms. It is what it is. The soccer is of a reasonably high but not spectacular level in a CHL hockey sort of way that's likely to go on being a tough sell in the three largest cities but can do well in midsized regional ones like Halifax.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, narduch said:

He doesn't play though 

Exactly. They are starting a match right now, 4.15pm, home to Alcorcón, and he's on the bench again. 

Have to say, they make very few subs and are top of the league with a short squad and the starters playing almost everything. 

But he simply does not have the minutes. If you wanted to go through our players in top 2nd tiers, I'd look at Froese at Wiesbaden ahead of him. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Exactly. They are starting a match right now, 4.15pm, home to Alcorcón, and he's on the bench again. 

Have to say, they make very few subs and are top of the league with a short squad and the starters playing almost everything. 

But he simply does not have the minutes. If you wanted to go through our players in top 2nd tiers, I'd look at Froese at Wiesbaden ahead of him. 

Yup and Abzi is not even committed yet to Canada. Ofcourse we have AD and TB but would rather see them higher up on the field.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't show as Leganés lost at home to a direct rival, Eibar.

They're still leading but with a dozen games left the 8th place team is just 6 points back, and most rivals are better bets for promotion. I think the roosters are about to come home to hatch for Leganés, or however that works.

• 2 weeks later...

He got on m. 77 for Leganés, subbing the regular LB Enric Franquesa, who is probably the LB of the year in Spanish 2nd, aggressive in defence and assisting in attack up his wing. They were already up 4-0 over Mirandés and stay leader in a promotion spot, as they have been nearly all season. 

It really does look like he'll only get sub appearances, but if he gets more  minutes and run-outs than the first half the season it'll be great for his confidence and future perspectives.

• 4 weeks later...

He hasn't gotten any minutes these last weeks, even on the recent fixture Franquesa was out and he would have been the natural sub. Maybe he was unluckily injured just the day he had a chance at minutes. 

They play Espanyol, in second spot, this evening at home, and will remain leader no matter what happens. Leganés have been solid leaders of Spanish 2nd division since fixture 10, 24 straight matchdays. I'll only take a look if I see Abzi has a chance of appearing.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He hasn't gotten any minutes these last weeks, even on the recent fixture Franquesa was out and he would have been the natural sub. Maybe he was unluckily injured just the day he had a chance at minutes. 

They play Espanyol, in second spot, this evening at home, and will remain leader no matter what happens. Leganés have been solid leaders of Spanish 2nd division since fixture 10, 24 straight matchdays. I'll only take a look if I see Abzi has a chance of appearing.

He hasn't even made the bench from what I've seen on Futmob. Not back with Pau either it seems. Anyone know what's going on?

34 minutes ago, jdheid said:

He hasn't even made the bench from what I've seen on Futmob. Not back with Pau either it seems. Anyone know what's going on?

He would not go back to Pau as he's still on loan. He has made the bench in 2024 and as I posted above, he has gotten minutes not too long ago, in mid March. He's there.

Edit: I just read an interview with the coach from yesterday that says he could not be with the squad for personal reasons, they had given him a leave of sorts. He speaks of him as another squad member, as he does of others injured or not called in.

https://as.com/futbol/segunda/borja-pase-lo-que-pase-habra-vida-despues-del-espanyol-n/

They are top of the division and in promotion playing a very short squad, similar starters, limited time for subs. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He would not go back to Pau as he's still on loan. He has made the bench in 2024 and as I posted above, he has gotten minutes not too long ago, in mid March. He's there.

Edit: I just read an interview with the coach from yesterday that says he could not be with the squad for personal reasons, they had given him a leave of sorts. He speaks of him as another squad member, as he does of others injured or not called in.

https://as.com/futbol/segunda/borja-pase-lo-que-pase-habra-vida-despues-del-espanyol-n/

They are top of the division and in promotion playing a very short squad, similar starters, limited time for subs. 

Oops, I meant to say, he hasn't made the bench the last couple matches.

2 hours ago, jdheid said:

Oops, I meant to say, he hasn't made the bench the last couple matches.

I think what the coach is saying is that he was allowed to attend a personal matter last weekend and may still be doing so. They are usually very discreet about these things. Perhaps he had to return to Canada for a family issue.