Cavalry FC Season Thread 2019

Congratulations to Cavalry FC and all fans and supporters for winning the first CPL league competition. 

I think Cavalry proved many, most of us, wrong.

Continuity from the Foothills team, defying biases about PDL;, the same coach and quality assistants; an organisation and front office that was committed although inexperienced but trusting of the pros running the club--as well as a good bunch of players that appropriately represent what we are looking for with the league. 

I am also personally pleased that a club that may have problems to draw fans, due to location, logistics, and some odd stadium configuration problems, has the results that may help to compensate that 

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

Now...lower your prices

They have lowered them all multi game packs, and multi ticket sales. I think they are doing pretty well lately and probably generating the most revenue on ticket sales in the league right now. 

Interesting to see that there is talk of a bid being put in for an MLS team in Calgary in 2026:

https://canoe.com/sports/soccer/cavalry-fc-looks-to-measure-up-against-mls-whitecaps/wcm/36584ecb-fd89-4018-bd03-58d6a06c540a

...Funny enough, the Whitecaps arrived in the city Tuesday on the same day that word is circulating a group of investors, made up of local and international interests, is moving soon to table a formal bid to bring an MLS franchise to Calgary for the 2026 season.

Even if such a proposal is backed by soccer fans here, support for that would likely be difficult to secure at the national level with the Canadian Soccer Association entirely on board with growing the sport in Canada through the CPL and not with the MLS except in already established MLS markets...

No chance of that if MLS plans to stop at 32, but if they are aiming for 40 to keep those nine figure expansion fee cheques rolling in for many more years a fourth Canadian franchise in Alberta wouldn't be so far-fetched.

The obvious question to ask is who has the wealth and the enthusiasm for soccer in Calgary to push this? Join the dots and it's not difficult to figure out one possible scenario. USL owners often dangle the carrot of possible future MLS involvement as a way to excite their fanbase so throwing that little snippet of info into an article about a game against the Whitecaps doesn't necessarily harm the Cavalry in any way and might shift a few more of the 500 or so $90+ tickets that they still have available. It's good that things are going so well for Canadian soccer these days that something like that is being pushed through a mainstream media outlet rather than an Anthony Tortera style webstream.

Hmmmm, I see that link was posted by a calgary fan named shermanator.  Hmmmmm...........shermanator, shermanator?? Wasnt he a very good poster on here who was driven off by other posters contstant negativity??  The irony is is so thick, you could spread it on toast.  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hmmmm, I see that link was posted by a calgary fan named shermanator.  Hmmmmm...........shermanator, shermanator?? Wasnt he a very good poster on here who was driven off by other posters contstant negativity??  The irony is is so thick, you could spread it on toast.  

Shermanator does find himself in conflicts all over the internet. I’ve seen him leave multiple sites/discords because of arguments he gets into. That said he does a lot for the supporters in Calgary.

14 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Surprised that noone has posted the fact that the Calgary Foothills FC USL 2 / PDL team,  from which came the nucleus of the CanPl squad,  has managed to win their PDL division again.

Of course, it is a great merit.

Is their PDL team tied to the CPL team, would it be a reserve or academy-type squad? Asking as I have no idea if it is the same organisation or not.

If it is, I would guess it is the strongest overall club in the league. 

BTW, they are the only Canadian team to make the playoffs, starting Saturday, vs. Ventury County Fusion. The Winnipeg PDL team had a disastrous season, which I did not like to see, they got a point and scored 5 goals in 14 games. The Chill were mid-table. TSS and Highlanders in the West both started well and ended poorly, with multiple losses. 

I have a friend in Spain whose son is playing PDL with Kaw Valley, the SKC third team, all NCAA players from the midwest.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, Bison44 said:

Hi there...

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:39 PM, Reign said:

Shermanator does find himself in conflicts all over the internet. I’ve seen him leave multiple sites/discords because of arguments he gets into. That said he does a lot for the supporters in Calgary.

This is true, I do find myself getting in arguments in multiple places.

I left Reddit because I didn’t appreciate Pat Carrasco calling me a faggot in DMs. I left Discord because I didn’t appreciate people accusing me of being a club lapdog for not protesting the ticket prices (when my season ticket was $18 a game). And I left this board because I was tired of the negativity; the constant one sided argument from certain posters that this new league would fail from the get go because it is a Canadian league. I’ve given my reasons why people like me who are so engrained in the supporters scene in CPL cities are staying away in the past. Looking through some of the threads today it appears nothing has changed; it’s still a few nutters dominating the discussion with some decent posters occasionally popping in to threads.

While I’m here, perhaps I should give an update on the supporters scene in Calgary, since this is supposed to be a Canadian soccer supporters board.

The scene is thriving in Calgary, and has surpassed any expectations I could have dreamt up before the season started. Although we don’t have official membership in the Foot Soldiers, we’ve gone from about 25 people last year to over 350. Not only do we have section 200 sold out every game, but the supporters scene has grown into sections 201 and 109, which have become pseudo supporters sections on their own. We’ve gone from having me try to drag people out to talk banners and flags, to people designing and bringing their own made on their own time.

There is a real buzz around this club and around the atmosphere in the stadium. I would argue that Cavalry has the loudest supporters scene in the CPL right now (though I hear great things about Halifax, Hamilton and Winnipeg), and games such as those against the Whitecaps are making people take notice. Even the main grandstand is loud. Last year I would have watched the Voyageurs Cup on my couch, this year we packed a bar to the brim. And the scene after the final whistle was incredible!

I think we’re slowly but surely turning Calgary into a soccer city...

33 minutes ago, shermanator said:

While I’m here, perhaps I should give an update on the supporters scene in Calgary, since this is supposed to be a Canadian soccer supporters board.

The scene is thriving in Calgary, and has surpassed any expectations I could have dreamt up before the season started. Although we don’t have official membership in the Foot Soldiers, we’ve gone from about 25 people last year to over 350. Not only do we have section 200 sold out every game, but the supporters scene has grown into sections 201 and 109, which have become pseudo supporters sections on their own. We’ve gone from having me try to drag people out to talk banners and flags, to people designing and bringing their own made on their own time.

There is a real buzz around this club and around the atmosphere in the stadium. I would argue that Cavalry has the loudest supporters scene in the CPL right now (though I hear great things about Halifax, Hamilton and Winnipeg), and games such as those against the Whitecaps are making people take notice. Even the main grandstand is loud. Last year I would have watched the Voyageurs Cup on my couch, this year we packed a bar to the brim. And the scene after the final whistle was incredible!

I think we’re slowly but surely turning Calgary into a soccer city...

Yup the Footsoldiers have been killing it. I agree I think they are the loudest supporters in the league. Do you guys got plans to start doing large scale tifos? 

The amount of good work shermanator has done for soccer support in Calgary cannot be understated. Anyone who has been a part of the foot soldiers for even 1 game this year has no doubt had some contact with him. He has been a point man for organising the section as well as communicating with local bars about showing games and transport to and from. 

Remember how we used to get a prominent supporter of whichever club won the voyageurs cup to present the trophy (does that still happen? I havent followed very closely in recent years)? If Cavalry were to win it all, there is no doubt shermanator would be the one to present the trophy. Oh what a scene that would be.