Cavalry FC Season Thread 2019

Don't think there was one yet.

I find it hard to understand they didn't figure out traffic and parking. If you got a stadium in a remote place, those things are crucial. I hope they get their shit together fast or we'll see the first club folding soon. 

4 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

That said, I thought the ground looked amazing and was loud for 3,500. 

Yes and they have a natural grass pitch which is awesome. But I sure hope they can improve their game-day-experience ASAP before it becomes problematic. 

14 hours ago, shamrock said:

I find it hard to understand they didn't figure out traffic and parking. If you got a stadium in a remote place, those things are crucial. I hope they get their **** together fast or we'll see the first club folding soon

Folding soon? Are we really having that discussion after 1 match?!?

14 hours ago, shamrock said:

I find it hard to understand they didn't figure out traffic and parking. If you got a stadium in a remote place, those things are crucial. I hope they get their **** together fast or we'll see the first club folding soon. 

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Despite the hand wringing over Cavs attendance, nobody mentioned that they are first of the new grounds to have a corporate sponsor in ATCO. Not super sexy, but an established company that likely had to pay some reasonable $$$ for the rights.

It also isn’t clear if westjet is a league sponsor or a Cavalry sponsor. Cavalry mite be making a fair bit more in sponsorship money then the other teams. 

48 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Ronald Southern passed away in 2016..Nancy Southern now runs ATCO Group and her younger sister Linda is president of Spruce Meadows

I wasn’t aware. I wonder how the fortune was divided. None the less the family has boat loads of money.

Hmmm, one family business (cavalry) builds the grounds on another family business complex, with a third family business being the sponsor.  who says having billionaire owners isnt important.  

These guys are playing chess not checkers.  Synergy, interconnected companies all growing together.  If cavalry can help Spruce meadows make more money they'll be happy.  Talk of folding is very short sighted.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Hmmm, one family business (cavalry) builds the grounds on another family business complex, with a third family business being the sponsor.  who says having billionaire owners isnt important.  

These guys are playing chess not checkers.  Synergy, interconnected companies all growing together.  If cavalry can help Spruce meadows make more money they'll be happy.  Talk of folding is very short sighted.  

There's opportunity for cross conversion. 

Some Soccer fans might be interested in checking out horse competition, the team exposing them to the venue

Horse show fans might be willing to come spend on expensive tickets for soccer because they enjoy the facilities and now have an extra reason to go.

You're right, the folding talks are simply silly at this point

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

So if the Cavalry's owners own the stadium then they're getting most if not all concession $, which is a big revenue stream, something most if not all the other CPL clubs won't be getting.

Cavs will be fine even with a lower avg attendance than other clubs but hopefully they get their #'s higher as the season progresses, 3500 not a good # for their first match (although stadium optics wise it good and looked fuller) and being close to under 2K for the second match is poor for a market their size.

On 5/8/2019 at 2:44 PM, Obinna said:

At least tickets are much cheaper. I just grabbed 1 for under 30 bucks.

I could count the remaining tickets in the supporters section on 1 hand, so there is that at least.

On one hand I get putting the Supporters sections in one corner where they dont upset the sit on hands brigade...

..However, that is the culture and image the league has vocally embraced and promoted. Why isnt it front and center for the cameras. Not least when it's the one section you are guaranteed to have filled. If you want that culture, passion and atmosphere to spread make it the focal point. 

14 hours ago, toontownman said:

On one hand I get putting the Supporters sections in one corner where they dont upset the sit on hands brigade...

..However, that is the culture and image the league has vocally embraced and promoted. Why isnt it front and center for the cameras. Not least when it's the one section you are guaranteed to have filled. If you want that culture, passion and atmosphere to spread make it the focal point. 

I'm fine with it, personally. They are captured on the camera angle plenty.

One of the guys sitting in front of me asked his friends "the team is new, where do these fans even come from"? It was in regards to the supporters section and sounded slightly condescending. I thought it was an interesting perspective and one others probably have as well. I am sure many casuals assume the team comes first and the supports group develop organically afterwards. They don't seem to realize, much less appreciate, how these supporters groups form and build community ahead of the team launch in order to give the team a lift straight out of the gate.

Edited by Obinna

What do people think about/what can they tell me about Joel Waterman? I thought he was fantastic in the opener and really good in the second match. My favourite centre back in the league so far. Has had an unheralded path: went to TWU and was a 2nd round pick, played a little but for TSS, Kitsap, and Foothills Jrs. Never heard his name before but had to wonder why after seeing him.

I saw he was listed as a defender and midfielder. I could see him playing holding mid, but I also really like him as a centre back where his distribution becomes a plus-plus skill.

3 minutes ago, El Diego said:

What do people think about/what can they tell me about Joel Waterman? I thought he was fantastic in the opener and really good in the second match. My favourite centre back in the league so far. Has had an unheralded path: went to TWU and was a 2nd round pick, played a little but for TSS, Kitsap, and Foothills Jrs. Never heard his name before but had to wonder why after seeing him.

I saw he was listed as a defender and midfielder. I could see him playing holding mid, but I also really like him as a centre back where his distribution becomes a plus-plus skill.

I don’t know much about him, but damn he has been good. I love the energy and compete level he brings. 

32 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Also don't know a great deal, but TSS have a good program from what I know. Isn't that who ex-TFC player Nick Soolsma plays for, or am I mixing that up? Other good players have passed through TWU as well.

If I am not mistaken, he was a more offensive player and has been converted into a CB. That's probably why he is adequately comfortable back there with the ball at this level, plus he has the athleticism for the position. I think it is a win-win for Tommy and Joel - the coach needed big CB that can keep possession, the player is coming from Usports just looking to find the field regardless of position. Match made in heaven so far.