Cavalry FC Season Thread 2019

5 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

When he isn't scoring 13 goals in a VMSL match, Nick Soolsma is the TSS assistant. Not sure if he also plays. I have to admit I haven't seen a Rovers match at Swangard. Holding out for CPL.

Women's and men's doubleheader on Sunday, tickets $10, just saying.

2 hours ago, Reign said:

I feel like Cavs are USL level and the rest of the league is closer to USL1. We just play a much more complete game than anyone else in the CPL.

I suspect familiarity is the reason for the good form. There may be a leveling effect as time passes. But if what you're saying holds true into the second half of the year, I'll wholeheartedly agree with you.

17 hours ago, Reign said:

I feel like Cavs are USL level and the rest of the league is closer to USL1. We just play a much more complete game than anyone else in the CPL.

I watched two Foothills games last summer and the team played in the same way as Cavalry do right now. Always controlling posession and playing the game on their terms. It was the same at the PDL level. For this, I think the coaching staff and players deserve a ton of credit.

So far so good.

15 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

It’s a shame they are not eligible for the Concacaf league.

Would be nice to see them make it to the third round of the Voyageurs cup and give Vancouver a real test. 

I still think the exclusion from concacaf league is "facility" related. Sure, there'd be little to no problem playing at ATCO field late in Fall, but once in concacaf league, qualifying for CCL would be a real possibility. How do you play these games in February? A little difficult, isn't  it?

The 3 teams eligible for concacaf league all have turf. It may be uncomfortable, but they could pull it off. I don't see how that happens in Calgary, much less Halifax or York.

You may be thinking "Pacific have turf and nice climate, why not them"? Well, remember how some member of the club voiced their displeasure publicly? I think they got screwed because they didn't fit in the pretty little box the organizers used to justify why only Forge, Valour and FCE could compete for this edition.

I know the chances of Cavalry winning the Voyageurs Cup is slim to none, but should they pull off a miracle, the only possible solution I see is playing at McMahon stadium. 

16 hours ago, BCM said:

I suspect familiarity is the reason for the good form. There may be a leveling effect as time passes. But if what you're saying holds true into the second half of the year, I'll wholeheartedly agree with you.

I have a feeling that it’s that familiarity. Fall season should be a bit more indicative. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is good to see a price reduction, but to compare again to other leagues, here's Queens Park Rangers season ticket prices for next season in English Championship, near midfield (section T) about half way up the stand (12th row):

Full price 674 sterling or CD$1,146 or CD$50 per match

Over 60 or under 23  452 sterling or CD$768 or CD$33 per match

Under 18 220 sterling or CD$374 or CD$16 per match

Of course, single game tickets would be more, but still, other than airfare and hotel or flat, it's a much better deal at QPR.

$50 Cdn for an English Championship game versus $80 for a Canadian Premier League game?

Obviously, I am far more invested in Canadian soccer and couldn't really care less about the Championship (unless there are Canadians in it), but as far as quality of soccer goes, I would expect to pay no more than $30 if QPR are charging $50.

I know it is a business and this is Calgary. Fair play to them for trying to charge as much as possible straight out of the gate. Easier to lower your prices afterwards than raise them.

As a consumer though, I am happy to watch from home if I can't find cheaper tickets than +$80. I will still support the league with my Onesoccer subscription.