Cavalry FC Season Thread 2019

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

The amount of good work shermanator has done for soccer support in Calgary cannot be understated. Anyone who has been a part of the foot soldiers for even 1 game this year has no doubt had some contact with him. He has been a point man for organising the section as well as communicating with local bars about showing games and transport to and from. 

Remember how we used to get a prominent supporter of whichever club won the voyageurs cup to present the trophy (does that still happen? I havent followed very closely in recent years)? If Cavalry were to win it all, there is no doubt shermanator would be the one to present the trophy. Oh what a scene that would be.

Or you could nominate a Voyageur who helped bring the trophy into existence :) . The early years of presentations did have such people, not necessarily known for supporting the winning club but rather Cdn soccer itself.

Edited by Ed_S

Pepple seems like a great signing, he was the youngest player to register for the open trials and made day two in Calgary. He's currently the youngest player in the league and the only one eligible to play in the U17 World Cup this year, so hopefully he can get some minutes and get the call.

He seems like a great kid, hopefully he thrives in this league like a number of other teenagers have.

54 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Buy or Sell?

Tommy Wheeldon Jr.  would get much more out of our National Team with all that talent at his disposition

I buy it!

Well he is getting more out of Calgary.  Part of that is he has built it up from the ground, clear vision over years, and the players know and are comfortable with him.  He brought a core of the team up from PDL.  They trust him and buy into his plan.  Calgary was a team, before opening day and the other clubs were collections of guys thrown together, and it shows.  You stick him at the CMNT and he is starting from scratch, the trust, the ability to make the players gel etc isnt going to be the same.  Bobby S prob has some of that going at Forge with his Sigma guys, Hart might have some of that with his T+T players, but anyone going into the national team will have a tough go of it.      

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Buy or Sell?

Tommy Wheeldon Jr.  would get much more out of our National Team with all that talent at his disposition

I buy it!

Sell. What Bison44 said. 

And that's no disrespect to the fantastic job he's done at Cavalry thus far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I noticed MLS has their annual listing of coaches that could come and fill vacancies.  They have former MLS head coahes, MLS assistants, foreign coaches, college coaches, but no mention of the guy who will win coach of the year in the CPL.  Maybe they dont think they can afford him.  

I've wondered a bit about Wheeldon's coach trajectory. Has he done enough to get noticed outside the CPL? In the MLS or even in the lower leaugues in England?

On 10/11/2019 at 2:52 PM, SadOnMondays said:

I've wondered a bit about Wheeldon's coach trajectory. Has he done enough to get noticed outside the CPL? In the MLS or even in the lower leaugues in England?

A more reasonable jump might be to MLS assistant a la MDS or even a rich and ambitious USL club where he would might get a lot of exposure if he were a winner.