York9 - 2019 Season Thread

I just put this in the attendance thread, but it belongs here too. 

Some perspective on attendance:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1039008/

The CPL already has higher average attendance than the Irish Premier League, which has existed for a while now. Nobody is shilling about the imminent folding of any of that league’s clubs, but all you have to do is check out the York 9 FC thread here to see multiple examples of that sort of negativity. By the way, York 9 FC’s average attendance would be on the high end of the IPL’s. Maybe we should be grateful for this amazing new league that we have, and stop with the damned negativity. 

12 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I just put this in the attendance thread, but it belongs here too. 

Some perspective on attendance:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1039008/

The CPL already has higher average attendance than the Irish Premier League, which has existed for a while now. Nobody is shilling about the imminent folding of any of that league’s clubs, but all you have to do is check out the York 9 FC thread here to see multiple examples of that sort of negativity. By the way, York 9 FC’s average attendance would be on the high end of the IPL’s. Maybe we should be grateful for this amazing new league that we have, and stop with the damned negativity. 

That's pretty cool to see, that CPL is doing better than the Irish Premier League, thanks for the share. I don't go on the attendance thread though, so I'll just say it quick here, the obvious counter-point is the likely much larger transportation costs here. Dunno and wont conjecture about salaries. And it's just that nearly every break-even points we've heard so far for NASL, USL and CPL are higher than what we'd like to see. But hey, we don't know what Y9's break-even point is, so it's just a guessing game again. Which is like 80% of a soccer forum anyways lol.

But hell yeah, Y9 vs Limp Act! Hellll yes!

Edited by ironcub14

On 6/12/2019 at 10:51 AM, Ams1984 said:

York 9 tickets are on average half the price of commensurate TFC tickets. I agree that they should be cheaper than they are, but they aren’t even close to TFC prices. 

The ticket price issue is probably a red herring that may have been fixed. Looking at the next Wednesday York 9 game, there's general admission tickets now on Ticketmaster for $11 plus a $5 fee (including taxes).

What is it at the gate then - just $11?

So how is the team advertising? I've seen absolutely nothing, anywhere, and just have seen stuff in discussion groups and Facebook pages - not even promoted stuff.

This is a problem in a big market, how to get the word out. In somewhere like Halifax, and I suspect even Hamilton, this kind of stuff is easier to communicate.

38 minutes ago, nfitz said:

The ticket price issue is probably a red herring that may have been fixed. Looking at the next Wednesday York 9 game, there's general admission tickets now on Ticketmaster for $11 plus a $5 fee (including taxes).

So how is the team advertising? I've seen absolutely nothing, anywhere, and just have seen stuff in discussion groups and Facebook pages - not even promoted stuff.

This is a problem in a big market, how to get the word out. In somewhere like Halifax, and I suspect even Hamilton, this kind of stuff is easier to communicate.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Ticket prices don't seem to be the issue (and as you say, if that was the issue, it seems to have been addressed) instead, it appears that advertising has been insufficient. 

1 minute ago, Toronto Ruffrider said:

I've seen ads on a YRT bus, but that's pretty much it. The club needs to get the word out better. I bet there are a fair number of people at YorkU, including many footy fans, who've never heard of the team.

They really should hit the York U crowd, it seems like a no-brainer. Even putting up a few posters on campus would probably do the trick. Maybe give them a student discount or something...  

Yeah this advertising discussion is exactly it. We've had it a couple times before, and there were good ideas that came out on here and on social media and etc. And Y9 has already thought of most of these stuff already. They just don't have the money or manpower to do most of em. It's got to look classy and professional enough for a professional club, but it's still got to be cheap enough. They don't seem to have the money for a TTC poster or billboard, for example. No money for a booth at a big mall either.

2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

They really should hit the York U crowd, it seems like a no-brainer. Even putting up a few posters on campus would probably do the trick. Maybe give them a student discount or something...  

Exactly, offer a 10 dollar ticket for students. I haven’t noticed any students at the games so far this year, maybe that will pickup in September when they return for school. York U is kind of a ghost town in the summer. 

5 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Exactly, offer a 10 dollar ticket for students. I haven’t noticed any students at the games so far this year, maybe that will pickup in September when they return for school. York U is kind of a ghost town in the summer. 

Something like the Zoo for the Highlanders rugby games - anywhere from 1-3 thousand a game, and all first-year students get the first game included as part of the "frosh" week events.  https://thehighlanders.co.nz/fanzone/fan-promos/804-the-zoo

9 hours ago, nfitz said:

Upper Canada Mall has big posters for Pickering College hanging all over the place, and every time I walk through, I can't help but think what the place would look like with York9 hanging everywhere.

Edited by Gopherbashi

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They probably have to give season ticket holders time to opt in on their tickets before they go on general sale.

Cavalry and HFX are already selling tickets.

The CPL site even links to the July 24 games. 

Earlier in the year they were going to do a two stadium reno of Alumni and York Lions.

It appears they've put their effort into York Lions...good choice if there are limited funds. 

MLS teams are famous for this.  This year it's Portland who started with X games on the road but it's happened to DC United, Kansas City, and even TFC in past seasons.  

11 hours ago, narduch said:

They really need to work on the schedule.

York9 plays at home Sat-Wed-Sat-Wed.

Way too many games in a short spurt.

This will surely hurt their attendance you'd think, especially the midweek games, but who knows, they may finally have good weather for that stretch and do well for the Saturday matches at least.

Just looking at the recent matchday squads, does anybody know what's the latest on Adjei, Cox, Thompson and Pina? I know Thompson's got this long-term injury, but that's about all I have. Wondering if Adjei and Cox have minor knocks, or if they're not being selected at the moment. Thanks.

39 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Just looking at the recent matchday squads, does anybody know what's the latest on Adjei, Cox, Thompson and Pina? I know Thompson's got this long-term injury, but that's about all I have. Wondering if Adjei and Cox have minor knocks, or if they're not being selected at the moment. Thanks.

Has pina played all season?

I would like to see Cox get a start. 

Thompson being out isn’t a huge loss because Gaspo and Gogerty have played really well. I wonder if they go 3 at the back when hes healthy.