York9 - 2019 Season Thread

Two to three years is what has usually been mentioned. Think there will need to be an uptick in interest in the team before it's likely to happen on the scale originally talked about.

https://canpl.ca/video/york-9-fc-unveils-stadiums-plans-for-2019-and-beyond

... “As we go through the next 2-3 years at York University we have our eye on building our own permanent stadium,” said Ben Zayandehroudi, York9 FC’s VP of Ticket Sales and Fan Services.

“We’re looking to build a 12-15,000 seat stadium that will truly bring the best experience to our fans. In the meantime, we have a great accessible option at York University that’s close to transit. The future is bright for York 9 as we move towards our own soccer-specific stadium.”  ...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Id bet on the team folding before they build a stadium. 

Damn that's harsh...... but maybe the reality we all hope not! . 

I just think York 9 of all clubs should've done a lot more then their current state, considering they are in the toughest market.

Suspect a lot will depend on how viable York Lions stadium is for pro soccer after it gets renovated and artificial turf is installed for the York Lions football team. You would struggle to find a better location from a transit and highway access standpoint in the more suburban portions of the GTA, if it is made reasonably pro soccer compatible by being widened and left unmarked as is the case with the CFL stadia that the Forge and Valour use.

11 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Yeah we're two of ten people at the games lol

So, are you excited for the club to fail? Or does hedging your bets with negativity just make you feel less... what? Exposed if you supported a club that failed? I don’t get it. 

Obviously the club is doomed, I mean the handful of games we have played at home were all clear evidence to that effect right? Never mind that the turnout was actually reasonably good despite the rain at basically every game except the Edmonton game (where it also rained and the turnout was poor). 

I’ll never get people with attitudes like yours. Why bother attending games or supporting the club? It’s over right? 

43 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

So, are you excited for the club to fail? Or does hedging your bets with negativity just make you feel less... what? Exposed if you supported a club that failed? I don’t get it. 

Obviously the club is doomed, I mean the handful of games we have played at home were all clear evidence to that effect right? Never mind that the turnout was actually reasonably good despite the rain at basically every game except the Edmonton game (where it also rained and the turnout was poor). 

I’ll never get people with attitudes like yours. Why bother attending games or supporting the club? It’s over right? 

No I will support the team but its just been a disaster how they have been managed. They were doomed to fail out of the gate when you can go to TFC games for cheaper and they are already established. 

I dont want them to fail I was just saying if I am a betting man there’s no way they build a 12-15000 stadium when they cant even full half the seats in a much smaller stadium that actually has a great location. 

5 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Have you been to a game? I actually have. 

What's the point? I can get to games now, but I"m not travelling to near King City once they move - so there's no point supporting them while they are Toronto-based. I hope to get to a game or two as a neutral at some point though.

Hmm ... that sounds like the schedule the Whitecaps had for their own stadium back in 2011. Though at least the distance from BC Place to the Waterfront Stadium is a short walk ...

Edited by nfitz

9 hours ago, nfitz said:

What's the point? I can get to games now, but I"m not travelling to near King City once they move - so there's no point supporting them while they are Toronto-based. I hope to get to a game or two as a neutral at some point though.

Hmm ... that sounds like the schedule the Whitecaps had for their own stadium back in 2011. Though at least the distance from BC Place to the Waterfront Stadium is a short walk ...

Thats another good point. I think its a mistake to start playing in North York then move wherever that wont be accessible for people in the city looking for an alternative to tfc. 

If I was a betting man, I'd bet a relocation before a fold or a new stadium. A new stadium definitely seems like a pipe dream at the moment.

The reason why some fans voice their concerns about the team is because we most desperately want to see the team do well. Telling each other white lies and feeding false optimism is NOT going to help the team do any better. What will help the team do better is to be truthful with oneself and one another, assess the situation, and then see what are the little and big things we can do to help the team do better.

The attendance for the two VCup games was downright horrific, and the rain and the Raptors honestly made maybe a couple hundred people stay home instead at most. That said, we got two Saturday league games coming up, and with all the corporate and youth club SSHs having their tickets, I think and hope there will be some strong attendance coming through. If you know anybody who's thinking of not coming because of the rain, I mean, that's cool for them, but let them know that a home game is still pretty fun regardless, and that a poncho should do a trick. And yeah, Y9 should totally be selling ponchos lol, these are the little nuggets that the club should really be picking up on.

And those of you going to the Y9 games and sitting in the mainstand, consider walking over to the supporter section if you haven't tried so, it's hella fun times. Everybody's a really friendly bunch. Just walk right on over.

9 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

If I was a betting man, I'd bet a relocation before a fold or a new stadium. A new stadium definitely seems like a pipe dream at the moment.

The reason why some fans voice their concerns about the team is because we most desperately want to see the team do well. Telling each other white lies and feeding false optimism is NOT going to help the team do any better. What will help the team do better is to be truthful with oneself and one another, assess the situation, and then see what are the little and big things we can do to help the team do better.

The attendance for the two VCup games was downright horrific, and the rain and the Raptors honestly made maybe a couple hundred people stay home instead at most. That said, we got two Saturday league games coming up, and with all the corporate and youth club SSHs having their tickets, I think and hope there will be some strong attendance coming through. If you know anybody who's thinking of not coming because of the rain, I mean, that's cool for them, but let them know that a home game is still pretty fun regardless, and that a poncho should do a trick. And yeah, Y9 should totally be selling ponchos lol, these are the little nuggets that the club should really be picking up on.

And those of you going to the Y9 games and sitting in the mainstand, consider walking over to the supporter section if you haven't tried so, it's hella fun times. Everybody's a really friendly bunch. Just walk right on over.

Being honest with ourselves in one thing, but endlessly shilling about how the end of the club is nigh is another. We’ve hardly begun this first spring season! What did these people expect? TFC sized crowds? 

Attendance has only been alarmingly bad in one game, the match vs Edmonton. Every other match was fine given the circumstances.

Constantly and needlessly hand-wringing over the imminent and guaranteed folding of the club (which is totally baseless and completely speculative at this point) is completely useless and in fact detrimental. It achieves nothing and is in no way constructive. 

15 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

No I will support the team but its just been a disaster how they have been managed. They were doomed to fail out of the gate when you can go to TFC games for cheaper and they are already established. 

I dont want them to fail I was just saying if I am a betting man there’s no way they build a 12-15000 stadium when they cant even full half the seats in a much smaller stadium that actually has a great location. 

York 9 tickets are on average half the price of commensurate TFC tickets. I agree that they should be cheaper than they are, but they aren’t even close to TFC prices. 

32 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Being honest with ourselves in one thing, but endlessly shilling about how the end of the club is nigh is another. We’ve hardly begun this first spring season! What did these people expect? TFC sized crowds? 

Attendance has only been alarmingly bad in one game, the match vs Edmonton. Every other match was fine given the circumstances.

Constantly and needlessly hand-wringing over the imminent and guaranteed folding of the club (which is totally baseless and completely speculative at this point) is completely useless and in fact detrimental. It achieves nothing and is in no way constructive. 

Yep, I'll agree with you, shilling about the end of the club being nigh, and talk about the club folding, I agree, that's baseless, speculative, useless and detrimental.

A lot of the other points though overall in this thread looking at what Y9 hasn't done well and/or could do better has been pretty good though, and is definitely helpful for sure. I've taken a couple suggestions from this thread, and collated it with a couple I had, and have forwarded them onto the club in the past, and they have been open to the ideas for sure. Just a matter of financial and manpower execution for them for the most part.

Yeah, I could agree with that part, that the Edmonton game was the only really horrible one. The Blainville wasn't good at all either, despite the reasons we know why it wasn't. Obviously we all had our different expectations for the crowd, and I don't think a single person here expects a sellout for any game at all (whatever that capacity is, I think it's around 5,500 or something), but I will say that every crowd this season so far has been less than my expectation for the game, if not much less.

Anyways, that's enough from me on this topic. I do hope that, for the forum readers here, that the rain doesn't deter you much, and that you consider trying out the supporter section one time if you haven't so. The little things I'll push here.

Edited by ironcub14

17 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Yep, I'll agree with you, shilling about the end of the club being nigh, and talk about the club folding, I agree, that's baseless, speculative, useless and detrimental.

A lot of the other points though overall in this thread looking at what Y9 hasn't done well and/or could do better has been pretty good though, and is definitely helpful for sure. I've taken a couple suggestions from this thread, and collated it with a couple I had, and have forwarded them onto the club in the past, and they have been open to the ideas for sure. Just a matter of financial and manpower execution for them for the most part.

Yeah, I could agree with that part, that the Edmonton game was the only really horrible one. The Blainville wasn't good at all either, despite the reasons we know why it wasn't. Obviously we all had our different expectations for the crowd, and I don't think a single person here expects a sellout for any game at all (whatever that capacity is, I think it's around 5,500 or something), but I will say that every crowd this season so far has been less than my expectation for the game, if not much less.

Anyways, that's enough from me on this topic. I do hope that, for the forum readers here, that the rain doesn't deter you much, and that you consider trying out the supporter section one time if you haven't so. The little things I'll push here.

I’d encourage others to be as circumspect as your comment suggests that you are. 

6 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

York 9 tickets are on average half the price of commensurate TFC tickets. I agree that they should be cheaper than they are, but they aren’t even close to TFC prices. 

I have bought TFC tickets on the secondary market for 10 -15 dollars this year. 

20 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I have bought TFC tickets on the secondary market for 10 -15 dollars this year. 

Secondary market is another animal. The club controls the price at which it sells its tickets, it can’t really control the resale market. I would have paid more than double what I paid to York 9 FC for the same seasons at BMO. I think they should potentially lower the cost of the cheaper sections of the stadium, the difference at that price point is less noticeable.  

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:42 AM, Obinna said:

What if York 9 play TFC in Voyageurs Cup final and Telfer is recalled back to Toronto for the match? That would be interesting!

Quite a lot of ifs there. That assumes that York 9 would have already had an aggregate victory against an MLS team. No offense but if a CPL team beats an MLS team over two legs this year, I do not think York 9 will be the one that does it. On current form I don't think it would be FCE either.

14 minutes ago, Sport Shaman said:

Quite a lot of ifs there. That assumes that York 9 would have already had an aggregate victory against an MLS team. No offense but if a CPL team beats an MLS team over two legs this year, I do not think York 9 will be the one that does it. On current form I don't think it would be FCE either.

Why would I take offense? I'm not a York 9 fan.