York9 - 2019 Season Thread

1 hour ago, zeelaw said:

Wife's bday meant I couldn't go :( - How was the atmosphere in there, and how many people showed up?

It was raining non stop, basically empty stadium. I know some people might latch onto the sparse turnout and get all negative, but again... a midweek game with pouring rain, on the same night as the Raptor’s final... not shocking that virtually no one came (I did). 

I hope that we finally get a home match with decent weather. 

1 hour ago, zeelaw said:

Wife's bday meant I couldn't go :( - How was the atmosphere in there, and how many people showed up?

Most estimates peg it around 200 people, which is what it seemed like to me.  I honestly didn't give a second thought to the atmosphere but the SG was definitely having a good time.

Rain + Raptors + Midweek all dampened things but it looks like they sold ~800 tickets.

Edited by Gopherbashi

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

Most estimates peg it around 200 people, which is what it seemed like to me.  I honestly didn't give a second thought to the atmosphere but the SG was definitely having a good time.

Rain + Raptors + Midweek all dampened things but it looks like they sold ~800 tickets.

I thought more like 500-600 people, judging by the the crowds that seemed to be just about anywhere other than the actual seating areas. I think there were more people at the concourse level of the main stand rather than sitting in the stand itself.

8 hours ago, zeelaw said:

Gotta hope a visiting Montreal team in a mid-week game in nice summer weather could maybe get over 2k?  3k maybe?

If that’s the case then it’s time to wrap it up.  If you can’t get at absolute minimum 5k for a MLS team you have no hope IMO.

30 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If that’s the case then it’s time to wrap it up.  If you can’t get at absolute minimum 5k for a MLS team you have no hope IMO.

Guess FC Edmonton should have folded years ago then, they drew under 4k for their Vancouver Whitecaps match at Clarke a few years back.

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think they can do 5k with an MLS team coming. I would think a good amount of TFC fans would come to cheer against Montreal. 

Wonder what the capacity is currently at York Lions, its listed at 3700 without the added seating, and doesn't look like the SG area and new seating opposite the main grandstand makes up 4300 to get to the 8K capacity York9 were touting it would be before the season.

2 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Wonder what the capacity is currently at York Lions, its listed at 3700 without the added seating, and doesn't look like the SG area and new seating opposite the main grandstand makes up 4300 to get to the 8K capacity York9 were touting it would be before the season.

Ticketmaster says 5k 

...but will probably be including 1200 or so on the bleacher side that are not being sold. The main seating is just over 3000. You can probably squeeze another 700 or so into the expensive seats on the track, various luxury boxes and the safe standing.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...but will probably be including 1200 or so on the bleacher side that are not being sold. The main seating is just over 3000. You can probably squeeze another 700 or so into the expensive seats on the track, various luxury boxes and the safe standing.

There’s also bleachers in the upper deck. 

You guys jinxing the team to be talking about Montreal when there's a whole 2nd leg to be played. Haven't you guys seen all the UCL comebacks just this one past season alone.

That said, if we are able to get a result in Edmonton and do progress, based on the Wednesday cup crowds we've seen for the Blainville game and the Eddies game, I would expect official attendance to be about 2,500 for Impact. Remember that all SSHs would still have to buy tickets for a Montreal cup game.

18 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Guess FC Edmonton should have folded years ago then, they drew under 4k for their Vancouver Whitecaps match at Clarke a few years back.

Sadly that organization just doesn’t get it.  They try hard but they are about as vanilla as it gets with a name like “FC Edmonton” with a stable of vanilla coaches, players etc.  If it weren’t for the fans and the rally rabbit tradition it would easily be the blandest club in North America. 

Theres something just ugly and boring about Edmonton and Ottawa’s soccer teams and the way they’ve managed them.  The new teams are all so much more exciting.  

34 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

You guys jinxing the team to be talking about Montreal when there's a whole 2nd leg to be played. Haven't you guys seen all the UCL comebacks just this one past season alone.

That said, if we are able to get a result in Edmonton and do progress, based on the Wednesday cup crowds we've seen for the Blainville game and the Eddies game, I would expect official attendance to be about 2,500 for Impact. Remember that all SSHs would still have to buy tickets for a Montreal cup game.

You think only 2,500 people would show up to see York 9 in a knockout game vs the Impact? I really disagree with you on this one. I think the fact that it’s an MLS team means that it’ll be publicized in casual soccer circles, and in my opinion it means that York 9’s accessible fan base will most likely turnout in its highest possible numbers (probably 4kish). Also, the fact that it’s Montreal means that there’ll be TFC fans there to screw with them, and maybe even a few Montreal fans as well. I predict at least 5K will attend (If York 9 actually does get by the Eddies -which is not a foregone conclusion) 

2 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

You think only 2,500 people would show up to see York 9 in a knockout game vs the Impact? I really disagree with you on this one. I think the fact that it’s an MLS team means that it’ll be publicized in casual soccer circles, and in my opinion it means that York 9’s accessible fan base will most likely turnout in its highest possible numbers (probably 4kish). Also, the fact that it’s Montreal means that there’ll be TFC fans there to screw with them, and maybe even a few Montreal fans as well. I predict at least 5K will attend (If York 9 actually does get by the Eddies -which is not a foregone conclusion) 

Yeah, cuz SSHs still have to re-buy, TFC fans still have to come from all across the GTA, Wednesday night, etc etc. We'll see, but hey, here's to hoping that we get past the Eddies so that we get to see. We could definitely use a good cup run.