Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

India has a ton of challenges.. think of how many players slip through the cracks in Canada.  I can't even imagine in a country like India with a class system, limited coaching and scouting and a population of 1 billion+.  It's the craziest thing in the world to me that they have never even produced a player good enough for MLS (Sunil Chetri, their all-time best player, couldn't even get a match in MLS 2.0).  It's interesting/promising that you say the Indian kids were just as athletic in that tournament because I've always thought that their players looked very weak physically.  Contrast that with a guy like Sammy Piette who has had legs the size of tree trunks since he was 16 years old or Alphonso Davies who already at 17/18 looked/looks like a beast.  

The people are there, the league is there, the popularity is there - they just need to find a way to filter their top athletes into programs and get some players developed.  Still - I can't believe that an outlier hasn't popped out who against all odds becomes a star (same for China, Indonesia etc.).  

Culture is heavily rooted in it as historically, contact sports were not prevalent. Soccer is just gaining traction. The most popular sports in those countries have traditionally been things like Cricket, badminton, squash and table tennis for example. Those countries don't have the historical upbringing of kids that know how to deal with an athlete on a physical level. They don't have high level experience in knowing the vast amount of effort, sheer will and determination it takes in outmuscling a grown man in his athletic prime. No outlier can pop out until that environment is developed in those countries. 

Edited by Macksam

On 2/7/2019 at 5:19 PM, youllneverwalkalone said:

Can't believe McKendry though. What's his problem?

Does anyone know if we had talks with him? He could've been a useful player for us, but he's gone off and signed in 3rd tier Sweden. Disappointing.

12 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Oh so every BC player is supoose to sign with yall? Lol gimme a break....actually give the kid a break. The cantera rule aint real clearly. 

Gimme a break. I'm asking whether anyone has more information about how a rumoured singing ended up in third tier Sweden instead. The rest you're projecting.

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Saw somebody claim on Reddit the other day that one player per off season can have their guaranteed contract bought out by MLS teams. If so, MDJ definitely winds up ahead of the game financially by leaving the Caps and moving somewhere else.

I think Vancouver will only pay part of his salary, and Pacific likely picks up the remainder. I have no clue what the ratio is though 

I got the email about finally purchasing my season tickets next week! It is great, but I really do not want to purchase for sure until I see the full schedule. It will definitely make a difference in terms of the type of ticket and how many I purchase. 

6 hours ago, ktf said:

I got the email about finally purchasing my season tickets next week! It is great, but I really do not want to purchase for sure until I see the full schedule. It will definitely make a difference in terms of the type of ticket and how many I purchase. 

Fill out the survey they sent and make sure you let them know.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:15 PM, masster said:

Fill out the survey they sent and make sure you let them know.

Definitely made it known in the survey! It seems incredible they would want you to buy without the schedule. The 50 dollar deposit was a very tiny leap of non-refundable faith by all of us, but buying the whole package is a stretch. I know some leagues will have people renew and there is no schedule, but those leagues are well established. 

Edited by ktf

19 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

I think most clubs have begun selling season tickets without the schedule. I know Halifax has at least; hasn't seemed to hurt their numbers at all.

I was replying to the choice of "most" and,  "lots" part of the statement. I don't believe, "most places have already sold lots" so far.

4 hours ago, ted said:

I was replying to the choice of "most" and,  "lots" part of the statement. I don't believe, "most places have already sold lots" so far.

I know Hamilton has been selling seasons for months now, and I think Winnipeg too.  Possibly the finished CFL stadiums and existing staff and infrastructure gave them a head start.  Don't know about Valour FC but although Forge FC have not announced any official numbers I have heard sales are very strong.  

On 2/15/2019 at 2:20 PM, ted said:

Well I didn't put a ton of thought into my phrasing,  but since I've had Forge tickets for months, and off the top of my know that York, Halifax, and Winnipeg were selling tickets,  that's a "majority" , whether you want to consider that "most" or not is up to you. And it sounds like all are over 1000 or so, so that seems like lots.

To be honest, just based on the comments in here I thought that Pacific was the only ones with tickets not on sale, but since it's come up I guess I don't actually know about the Alberta teams.

Anyway,  hope sales go well when they do start :)

On 2/15/2019 at 5:57 PM, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I know Hamilton has been selling seasons for months now, and I think Winnipeg too.  Possibly the finished CFL stadiums and existing staff and infrastructure gave them a head start.  Don't know about Valour FC but although Forge FC have not announced any official numbers I have heard sales are very strong.  

Confirmed. We believe the total thus far to be just shy of 2,000 but our estimate is hampered by the Bomber Cone of Silence.

On 2/15/2019 at 6:16 PM, Raven1555362272 said:

Major club announcement on Tuesday at 5pm. Interesting that the notice has the Secondary logo and not the primary. I really prefer the secondary logo....if I had to choose.

The secondary logo was supposed to be the primary but there was a trademark issue that had to be sorted out with Maserati. 

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

I've  read that they had to wait out a few seasons(?)... before switching to the Trident. It's an amazing logo if you ask me

As I understand it, they have to use the "primary" crest for three years for some reason because someone told them brand confusion would be too great if they switched now.

I just want to say that I don't agree the trident is a good logo, it is undynamic, and is a total cliché, a high school kid could have thought of that: the sea, oh, Greek mythology, cool, TRIDENT!!  Like wow. 

The main logo and its variants, when properly worked on, is effective. Again, this weekend, someone I knew  literally touched the logo on my black Pacific t-shirt in the middle of a conversation.