Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

On 2/26/2019 at 6:16 PM, ted said:

To recap: the stadium requires six weeks to setup once the pre-fab components arrive on site. One week ago, Mayor Stew Young of Langford  (the municipality actually building the stadium) said that the project is on track and will be ready for opening day. He has a track record, as Mayor, of meeting his commitments.

Ted, I think there are rugby matches late this month, so it would have to be close to being ready by then, would you say?

Question: in the end, what is the size of the supporter stand? How many rows up, and how wide? What does it hold?

On renders it looks a bit short and a bit narrow, as if they were not overly optimistic of it filling.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Question: in the end, what is the size of the supporter stand? How many rows up, and how wide? What does it hold?

On renders it looks a bit short and a bit narrow, as if they were not overly optimistic of it filling.

As best as I can tell, the supporters stand is four sections wide. Each section is 25 'bums' across and ten rows deep. Each section holding 250 people, so 1000 altogether. I think it's less a case of pessimism about it filling and more the fact that there's only so much space between the pitch and the bowling alley.

Issey: he's out of contract, or was after last season. He played for Pehang up until November, was back here in Spain seeing family I think December and maybe more.

He is only 34 and still has a few years left, so may think a CPL salary is a bit low considering he has been making more in Malaysia. 

I think he has a team set up for this season in Malaysia, he did okay with his last team and still scores, so I would think he has interest there as well. But their season is already under way, which makes me wonder: it is true he went late to the league his first time, I wonder if he is signing late over there this year too.

EDIT: I AM SO GLAD I WAS WRONG!

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

27 minutes ago, King_cheetah said:

As best as I can tell, the supporters stand is four sections wide. Each section is 25 'bums' across and ten rows deep. Each section holding 250 people, so 1000 altogether. I think it's less a case of pessimism about it filling and more the fact that there's only so much space between the pitch and the bowling alley.

Ten rows, too back really. If they could add 5 more at the top, which is a good sight line too.

How close to the goal will it be?

Watched the Canada vs Argentina match the other day from Westhills. The camera was placed on the side with the stands, so the field basically looked like something a rec team would play on with with cars going by on a parkway in the background.  Do you know if MedioPro/Pacific intends to put up a tower on the other side to show the new/full stands on the south side?  There's a nice stadium with a roof on four sides, so it would be nice to show the full stand.

Also saw the infamous power pole, that's a big one to move.

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Issey is a quality signing by Pacific.  They’re going to have a very dangerous team.  I think they are the quality of the league at this point.

Totally agree - they may just have the three strongest players in the league in De Jong, Haber and Issey with Fisk being up there as well. Their GKing actually looks like the weak link at this point - that and they need a few more defenders! Nevertheless, I think I found my team ☺️

7 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

Totally agree - they may just have the three strongest players in the league in De Jong, Haber and Issey with Fisk being up there as well. Their GKing actually looks like the weak link at this point - that and they need a few more defenders! Nevertheless, I think I found my team ☺️

Cough cough...Irving, cough cough.  

Could be a bit like TFC last season though with Bradley, Vazquez, Giovinco and Altidore on board but a shaky defense. In a salary cap league getting the balance right helps a lot. Also possibly one too many guys that are well past their peak now in career terms. Think the Valour might be getting a more solid team from 1 through 11 together but time will tell.

59 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Could be a bit like TFC last season though with Bradley, Vazquez, Giovinco and Altidore on board but a shaky defense. In a salary cap league getting the balance right helps a lot. Also possibly one too many guys that are well past their peak now in career terms. Think the Valour might be getting a more solid team from 1 through 11 together but time will tell.

Especially if Valour get He Who Has Been Rumored ...

I am thrilled that I was wrong. Maybe I just forgot that the coach would have known him from his time in Denmark, so that would have been another factor. 

I am wondering if he will finally take his family with him to where he is going to play, I hope he does. 

I am really a bit stunned on the question of salary, on paper their three marquee players have to be amongst the most expensive in the league. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I think an imbalance is less likely in CPL assuming they just have a straight basic team-wide cap.

I have argued this many times as it is my biggest problem with MLS.... but I don't even think a cap itself is a problem that leads to an imbalance...it's the band-aid solutions that are the DP/TAM/GAM rules.

Strip away just the 3 designated players on some of the bigger spending teams and you'd almost have a completely different team. 

I'd much prefer it if tomorrow the MLS got rid of the DP/TAM/GAM rules and just even went with a $8M cap (about double what it is now but much less than what some of the bigger teams are spending with DP's)

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Pacific just signed Issey.

Okay, they are getting stacked now.

Fisk, Haber, De Jong, Issey....

Simpson should just dust off his boots to ensure these guys really stomp the rest of the CanPL.

I keep saying it: Hard not to like Pacific FC right now....

Pacific in Hamilton is the game I'm circling on the calendar right now. That's going to be a hell of a show.