Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

Pacific FC is looking real good.  Might help explain why McKendry wasn’t signed if they’ve had to throw money at guys like Haber, Fisk and MDJ.  

With Fisk, Verhoeven, MDJ, Blasco and Chung I’m confident in saying they have the best wide players in the league. They just need to add some bite to the centre of the park and they’re going to be good.

It’ll be interesting to see who emerges to play the Whitecaps in the V cup. 

5 minutes ago, ted said:

Hey fellow PFC fans, wanna come watch our latest signing, Marcel de Jong, play for Canada March 24th?

If you are travelling from the Island we have bus packages that pick up and return from Downtown Victoria or Tsawwassen Terminal (you can walk on from Schwartz Bay or Duke Point).

Details:  Lake Side Buoys.Org

Swartz Bay

On 2/20/2019 at 10:37 AM, Keegan said:

Pacific FC is looking real good.  Might help explain why McKendry wasn’t signed if they’ve had to throw money at guys like Haber, Fisk and MDJ.  

With Fisk, Verhoeven, MDJ, Blasco and Chung I’m confident in saying they have the best wide players in the league. They just need to add some bite to the centre of the park and they’re going to be good.

It’ll be interesting to see who emerges to play the Whitecaps in the V cup. 

Definitely positioned in the top two squads so far, for me, with the Forge. Gaping holes through the centre but excited to see who they fill that with. 

13 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Definitely positioned in the top two squads so far, for me, with the Forge. Gaping holes through the centre but excited to see who they fill that with. 

A certain unnamed owner <cough> Rob Friend </cough> on Tuesday night was jokingly asking a few of us if we knew any center backs. There seems to be a shortage.

2 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Hopefully they are talking to Prasad, Comsia, and kicking the tires on getting Daniel Stanese out of Germany for free. I'd also hope Friend's old MNT teammate David Edgar has been contacted.

Mason Trafford is available as well, and grew up in BC to boot

Edited by Zem

20 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Hopefully they are talking to Prasad, Comsia, and kicking the tires on getting Daniel Stanese out of Germany for free. I'd also hope Friend's old MNT teammate David Edgar has been contacted.

I interviewed Stanese not that long ago and he is recovering from a fractured metatarsal in his foot, an injury that he unknowingly carried for more than a year. If I recall correctly he just got his walking boot off a couple weeks ago. So not sure if he’s going to be match for by CanPL kickoff. 

I also got the impression he was doing reasonably well for himself in Germany and was unlikely to come home now but maybe in the future. 

I am really surprised Halifax did so much better on memberships than Victoria given the latter is the traditional soccer hotbed. If that translates to just over 1000 season ticket sales from memberships at a rate of 2.5 per membership, it's not disastrous by any stretch of the imagination, but still leaves a lot to do on sales to the general public to reach break even sort of levels of paid attendance. Maybe the key was to get in early in media awareness terms and not be a plan B scenario market in what is probably for many in the wider Victoria area a seldom visited outer suburban community.

There are plenty of footy folk here, but not much of a spectators culture. I also don't think the club has much of a presence in the community yet. Apart from Simpson, and Blasco, I don't think anyone at the club has ever played on the island. I think Simpson and Silberbauer are the only ones currently living here. I'm sure that will all change soon, and the buzz will start to build. I'm not worried about attendance. They've done so much right so far 

19 hours ago, C2SKI said:

There are plenty of footy folk here, but not much of a spectators culture.

Or more specifically, not a "season ticket" culture. I think you will find that "walk-up" sales for games have been far more appealing to Victorians for Harbour Cats and Royals games.

I think once the league has completed a season and the team has shown it is here to stay, and we have won the league ;) we will see higher season ticket numbers for year two.

4 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Did anyone watch the rugby this weekend?  It looks like Pacific FC has great players but no stadium yet.  I just saw highlights of the rugby. Anyone know the status?

Friend said at de Jong's signing announcement that the stadium is built and on-route from Italy

7 hours ago, Nerf said:

Did anyone watch the rugby this weekend?  It looks like Pacific FC has great players but no stadium yet.  I just saw highlights of the rugby. Anyone know the status?

Yeah. It's very much a construction site at the moment. On either side of the existing stand they have the foundations completed to throw the stands on top. They've completed ground works on the west end. I've heard it should all go up pretty quickly once it arrives.