Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

47 minutes ago, King_cheetah said:

Why on earth wouldn't we have you?! The more the merrier! (Is there is old drama that I'm too new to know about?)

Because the first time I ever met Ted, at Yates for a Whitecaps game, I told him who I was and he said, as if I wasn't in the room "Jeffrey S is an asshole".

It still hurts. My only solace is that he actually seemed to distinguish between the person standing in front of him and the person he was talking about. I rely on that possible distinction saving me every time I meet anyone on this board.

Will LSB be rebranding, new colour scheme, what are you guys going to do? Is there still the intention to support Highlanders as well?

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Will LSB be rebranding, new colour scheme, what are you guys going to do? Is there still the intention to support Highlanders as well?

We'll be supporting both teams, as much as that's possible. It'll be up to individuals to choose who they do and don't support obviously, but the Lake Side Buoys officially support both.
As far as rebranding, we've got a new version of the logo that we are using for all PFC related support, as you can see on a few of our frash new flags that just came in:

20190130_195840.jpg

20190130_200037.jpg

56 minutes ago, King_cheetah said:

We'll be supporting both teams, as much as that's possible. It'll be up to individuals to choose who they do and don't support obviously, but the Lake Side Buoys officially support both.
As far as rebranding, we've got a new version of the logo that we are using for all PFC related support, as you can see on a few of our frash new flags that just came in:

20190130_195840.jpg

20190130_200037.jpg

Very nice, good job.

Sort of too bad they got rid of the pond near Westhills, but there is a lake very close, for what it's worth. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Because the first time I ever met Ted, at Yates for a Whitecaps game, I told him who I was and he said, as if I wasn't in the room "Jeffrey S is an asshole".

It was hilarious! If I remember correctly (I was probably a couple of pints in) we were both laughing about being seen as assholes on the forum, we had both mellowed, and how nice it was to meet as real people rather than internet avatars.  I couldn't reconcile this guy I argued with all the time and the guy standing in front of me.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Don't miss the next pub night, that way you won't be so far out of the loop. Our new scarf and logo are fantastic.

Edited by ted
missed a sentence

7 minutes ago, ted said:

It was hilarious! If I remember correctly (I was probably a couple of pints in) we were both laughing about being seen as assholes on the forum, we had both mellowed, and how nice it was to meet as real people rather than internet avatars.  I couldn't reconcile this guy I argued with all the time and the guy standing in front of me.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Don't miss the next pub night, that way you won't be so far out of the loop. Our new scarf and logo are fantastic.

I'm only on the West Coast the summer months, as long as my contracts come through, so may only get a few games in. In any case, jealous of the season you are going to have out there.

13 hours ago, King_cheetah said:

20190130_195840.jpg

20190130_200037.jpg

I hope the cat didn't pee on the flags.

17 minutes ago, masster said:

Nice article on the new executive that PFC has hired. Also confirms that the first home match will be April 28th. Also certain fan plazas and other elements of the stadium won't be ready until May or June.

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/former-harbourcats-gm-brad-norris-jones-joins-pacific-fc-front-office-1.23621107

Disappointing about the plazas not being ready, but realistically they'll likely be far more enjoyable later in the summer anyways, once the weather is better.

19 hours ago, masster said:

Also certain fan plazas and other elements of the stadium won't be ready until May or June.

Even so, we are being told that there will be food and beverage service starting several hours before kick off on game days.

My personal assumption is this is to help mitigate travel issues by allowing shuttle and transit a larger window to deliver fans to the stadium as well as create a fun event atmosphere before kick off.

I feared for this roster when I first heard the BC narrative and their budget intentions, but holy crap they are starting to look stacked. (especially if De Jong is the next signing) Veterans with national team experience and lots of youth with pro (USL) experience already.

You can truly see not only the roster, but also a starting XI forming. Looks comparable to a decent USL squad.

Campbell - Haber - Fisk

Verhoeven - Baldissimo - Blasco

DeJong??? - Cosmia??? - ??? - Chung

Village

Pacific is going to be solid for the foreseeable future.. comments around open trials were that the local talent in BC was the best as well.

They’re going to have guys pushing and competing for spots too, it’s not like any of these guys are pencilled in starters apart from Haber and Fisk maybe.  I like that they’re either signing players I rate or that I know have potential .. there are no unknown guys signing their first pro deal in their mid 20s.  

Honestly I am just thrilled he came back for the CPL. I think he will be MVP first year. Exactly the kind of guy that Haber will need around him.

Pacific was my second team next to FC Edmonton so I am glad he landed there. 

Hernandez and Blasco are also huge signings. I don't think Hernandez has gotten the looks he deserves. Look for him to challenge Haber to start this year.

On a side note, I was considering moving to the island this summer... One more pro on my pro/con list. Just don't tell my wife that I'm moving because of a soccer player. :D

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I assume Victor Blasco being signed kills off the all Canadian roster scenario that some people seemed to think might be happening with this team?

I assume he has his Canadian PR by now, at the least. He's been here for at least 5 years, living on the Island for part of that time.

31 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

On a side note, I was considering moving to the island this summer... One more pro on my pro/con list. Just don't tell my wife that I'm moving because of a soccer player. :D

Plenty of reasons to move out here. The addition of a CPL team was the icing on the cake for me. My wife had other, less important reasons.