Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

12 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

And Callum Irving

In what alternate dimension are you living in, where PFC can offer more $$$ than an MLS club?!?!

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Can’t help but think some of the remaining guys would be better options than some signed. 

What "remaining guys"? The entire planet of players not currently signed?!?!

23 hours ago, Nerf said:

It looks like Pacific FC has great players but no stadium yet. ...Anyone know the status?

Hey, I guess you are new here and did not read the entire thread. ;)

To recap: the stadium requires six weeks to setup once the pre-fab components arrive on site. One week ago, Mayor Stew Young of Langford  (the municipality actually building the stadium) said that the project is on track and will be ready for opening day. He has a track record, as Mayor, of meeting his commitments.

5 minutes ago, ted said:

What "remaining guys"? The entire planet of players not currently signed?!?!

The Canadian keepers still unattached.  Guys like Stillo, Chencinski and Roberts are more experienced than any Canadian keeper signed thus far.  Williams on HFX I get because he has a ton of experience - by far the most in the league. 

33 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Can’t help but think some of the remaining guys would be better options than some signed. 

If they are better options they have probably set their sights higher than CanPL in where they are attending training camps and will only want to sign if they fail to get larger contracts elsewhere. Meanwhile if you are a CanPL coach you probably want to have your roster set reasonably early to provide plenty of time for the team to gel properly given this is the first season.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Not sure what you're talking about, Callum Irving has never played in MLS.

Has he signed with a team?

He must mean Sean Melvin.  

Another guy not mentioned is Nathan Ingham.  There is a plethora of Canadian “tweener” talent at keeper so it’s surprising to see some still free.

@BringBackTheBlizzard could be right that they’re waiting for another level but imo it’s late in the game for that. 

In my mind CPL should look like a gold mine to keepers so I’m really surprised.  The level for keepers isn’t as high of a priority as it is for field players to develop and really exposure is your best friend.  CPL will offer starting opportunities and better exposure than any level not called MLS in Canada/USA.  So what’s going on? This is a chance to lock down a spot on the cmnt. 

Edited by Keegan

Maybe it's not safe to assume that only two keepers will be signed and some teams might go for three, if a Canadian keeper that represents a significant upgrade over what they already have becomes available over the next few weeks as MLS and USL teams finalize their rosters. That's one position where you need to play it safe.

I've been wondering over the last little while why some of the more known unattached keepers haven't been signed yet and I wonder whether the keepers have been lowballed a bit.  This is obviously pure speculation but perhaps in a salary cap league teams have made a choice to spend less on keepers to have money available elsewhere.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:05 AM, ted said:

A certain unnamed owner <cough> Rob Friend </cough> on Tuesday night was jokingly asking a few of us if we knew any center backs. There seems to be a shortage.

So they 'lost' Comsia to North Carolina and Trafford to Calgary. No wonder the pickings are getting slim. Maybe they will go the international route for CBs?

5 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Training camp is starting and we only have 12 players announced. Do we know whether more are already signed that they're just keeping private, or are they expecting to sign a whack of trialists?

At the de Jong announcement we were told the entire roster is done except for one centre-back.  They are just feeding us the signings for dramatic effect.

2 minutes ago, ted said:

At the de Jong announcement we were told the entire roster is done except for one centre-back.  They are just feeding us the signings for dramatic effect.

Fair enough. Thanks. I suppose I'll have to be patient a while longer.